WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    I knew a homeless guy who was on the trail in 2000, and he had no money. On the other hand, you're not a homeless guy.
    that was funny....

peace
    mf

Quote Originally Posted by vonroretz View Post
    well im about 150lbs and 6'1 i am planning on eating like a pig before i do it probe 2 weeks before. the only thing im willing to spend major money is shoes, pestecides and medecine so i can stay on the trail the whole time and anything else.
    pesticides? for what?

well this is for me and me only my friends are not going top take apart in it my best friend will only slow me down he could run it with me for me its about to complete it physically and mentaly 2 grand is possible 3 is prob where i will top out i dont know if i can use craigs list to get gear and such but i might be able to also e bay them? and thanks guys for all the in put
    Geez, do they teach English at your school?

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

i was thinking the same thing about the pesticide....

if you are truly gonna run it---first place to invest is your shoes. whatever you wear for xc, get four pairs.

the real key for you is your pack. you need to have a pack that can handle the load you plan to carry while running. you don't want it to shift around.

good luck

peace
    mf

Images

2175 trail miles / $1500.00 = just over $0.68 a mile.

2175 trail miles / 3 months = 24.2 MPD assuming no side trips or days off.

Can you live on $16.45 a day at the calorie rate you will be using to do that kind of miles?
    6 months = around $8.23 a day.

Likely easily do-able the first few weeks, but as you do the miles, your appetite will go UP (& UP & UP & UP, ETC)!

Practice shopping at mom & pop stores (like what are usually avalable on the AT) & see if you can even match the calories you eat now, at home, not doing 12 - 24 MPD up & down hills, for $8.00. I suspect at least double the calories if doing the 24 MPD. If you can't match 2000 CPD at home, will you be able to maintain the greater amount of cals you will need on the trail?

If doing mail drops, the usual concensis is that raises your overall cost. Can you maintain the food intake with the higher shipping cost? Can you get more calories that way. I don't know, do you?

Just sayin.

Have a great hike whatever you decide!
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    I doubt I could do it for $1500, but what the **** is wrong with sleeping in the rain?
    I'm going to spend more than that on my next AT hike, just for the caterer.

Default 1500 $ for the whole trip?

do you mean 1500 dollars for the whole trail with no outside financial help??

Not a chance. Not a chance. If you have parents or other family helping you out, then it is a different matter.

Consider:
    you need to buy food. You WILL eat in a few restaurants. You may say you won't but really what hiker can resist?

You will have gear to replace. Postage, and phone call expenses.

Forget about hotels, and you may as well forget about hostels except for the real cheap ones (Kincora, Deleware Water Gap).

Do yourself a favor. Wait till you have at least 3000 to spend (even 5000) and hike with a financial cushion. Wouldn't it suck to end the hike in the first 1/2 simply cause you ran out of money? It happens.

David

haha sorry for the english my arms broke and thanks for the feedback

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well, I like your spirit at least.

Get some gear and go have a good time. Better than what a lot of young guys your age are doing...and like us, wasting away on the Internet. he he

I'd also PM Kirby - he might be able to give you some ideas too. He hiked it at 17.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

If your short on money, consider just hiking the first half the trail. You could easily hike the first half of the trail for $1500. Hike the other half some other time.

Panzer

Quote Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
    If your short on money, consider just hiking the first half the trail. You could easily hike the first half of the trail for $1500. Hike the other half some other time.

Panzer
    no offence but i dont half ass

Wink

Now that I think of it, this could work out. According to my crazed running daughter, you can feed a cross country boy on fifty cents a day. They sure look it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    Could it be done for $1,500? Yes, but why? It would be like setting a speed record. I would say $3,000 would be pretty bare bones. If you wanted to sleep in a few hotels, have a beer, fix/replace equip, eat in a resturaunt, $6,000.
    I just went and checked my AT journal from my thruhike. I did the trail for under $2600, and that's with some pretty sloppy spending. I also think that figure may include the bus fare to Bangor where I picked up a rental car for my group and I to get down to North Carolina. Actually, it may also include my share in the rental car...

I ate in restaurants when ever I felt like it, and was generally not too concerned with "watching my money" too much. I had a few beers (though admittedly very few), stayed in motels (with at least 2 other people with whom to split it, usually 3 others). I was lucky and only needed to buy one pair of replacement boots (the other pair was a hiker-box find ). I wasted a considerable amount of money with maildrops and sending stuff home, though you'll probably deal with some of that too, if you change out gear for summer/winter. I do, however, advise against maildrops as a strategy of food resupply. Plenty of food along the way.

Since you're 18, I don't think spending in bars will drain you too much, which is a major plus (lots of people lose a lot of money in bars, where the drinks are overpriced).

Also, here's a link to SGT Rock's page on the $300 challenge; that is, outfitting yourself from scratch with lightweight gear for 300 bucks or less. http://hikinghq.net/300_challenge.html If you already have some gear, you're that far ahead of the game.

hah well im well im looking foward to thiss

Journal Entries
    Images

Vonroretz,

May I call you a new member? clearly many here who are new & old to WB are NOT taking you seriously, but for those that know and have done it before your $$ are clearly low, unfortunatly some here have poked fun, and I take exception to that.

Hike your own hike and continue to ask questions as we are all here to help.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Vonroretz,

May I call you a new member? clearly many here who are new & old to WB are NOT taking you seriously, but for those that know and have done it before your $$ are clearly low, unfortunatly some here have poked fun, and I take exception to that.

Hike your own hike and continue to ask questions as we are all here to help.
    thanks although my arm is broken my cast will be off in about 2 weeks after that i plan to stay in the woods starting 10 days roughly exdending each time to about 35 after that i plan on attempting it. i may be crazy but will it matter if im doin this by my self ?

well id my goal is not to spend over 1500$
    how fast are you trying to do the trail? any support along the way or maildrops?

Quote Originally Posted by flemdawg1 View Post
    Well its about $115/week ($1500/13 weeks). If the young guy could unplug his cable and live on $115 for food, laundry and entertainment, good.

The trail running the whole thing in 3 months is the part I see a problem with. He's talking about running nearly a marathon (23 miles) per day over mountainous terrain for practically 13 weeks straight. If he was Dean Karnazes, he'd have a shot, otherwise...
    if it can be hiked in 3 months, it can be ran in 3 months?

Vonroretz,

No doubt you will learn alot during your hike. Hopefully you will learn that you can do it for $1500 and without all that much gear. If you try and do it for $1500 it might cost you 2 or 3. If you try and do it for 3 I think it would cost you more. Stick to your ideals.

You have to learn as you go. You will no doubt make mistakes. Spending more money won't prevent mistakes, and more often than not is a mistake in itself. When it comes to gear, HikingHq is a very good site for ideas on cheap light functional gear. You really don't need that much. If you put together a gear list you will get very good feedback there, and people are not so offended there if you want to do it on the cheap.

p.s. Start practicing now. Its not that hard to live every day the way you would on the trail.

Also, no offence but there is nothing half-assed about hiking half the AT on $1500.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 04-22-2009 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Start living now though, the way you will live on your trip.
    You will save money and develop the discipline and have fun doing it.
    My guess that he lives with his parents and is not paying for food currently. Better he eats well while he can.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++