WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Coyotes and Dogs?

So last week I went hiking and around dusk I was sitting around the campfire drinking my evening coffee (and by coffee, I mean whisky). Out of nowhere came one of the loudest sounds I have ever heard in the woods. A pack of coyotes were very close just over the hill. I woke up several times to coyotes on surrounding hillsides, but not as close as the first group. I don't fear coyotes, as a matter of fact I thought it was pretty cool, but here's my concern. Sometimes my faithful companion Lennon, our miniature weiner dog, comes hiking with me. Will coyotes try to attack dogs?

Attatched is a picture of my puppy, as you can see she would only be a snack for a pack of coyotes.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

If your smallish dog is allowed to stray too far from you it could be in danger. Daschunds aren't afraid of anything in the world and would quite possibly chase a single coyote. Mine used to try to chase wild boars when I lived in Germany. The problem is that coyotes have learned to lure smallish dogs away into the brush in that fashion, then the coyote family gangs up and eats the smallish dog.

Images

you said it: "snack"
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Images

Default cyotes and dogs

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    So last week I went hiking and around dusk I was sitting around the campfire drinking my evening coffee (and by coffee, I mean whisky). Out of nowhere came one of the loudest sounds I have ever heard in the woods. A pack of coyotes were very close just over the hill. I woke up several times to coyotes on surrounding hillsides, but not as close as the first group. I don't fear coyotes, as a matter of fact I thought it was pretty cool, but here's my concern. Sometimes my faithful companion Lennon, our miniature weiner dog, comes hiking with me. Will coyotes try to attack dogs?

Attatched is a picture of my puppy, as you can see she would only be a snack for a pack of coyotes.
    O yes they will I had a mt.chawowa maybe spelled it wrong but anyway,I lived back in eastern ky had to go logging for a week or so.I called up my uncle and needless to say he informs me he heard the cyotes eat him poor taco was pretty cool been bit twice by a chow already.ky

Images

Coyotes will eat dogs and are very fond of cats. We have had some problems with coyotes eating beagles when they are rabbit hunting. The coyotes home in on the sound of beagles chasing rabbits and then kill and eat them.
    They are no harm to humans and most big dogs can hold their own. A smaller dog is supper.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight; your tactics suck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
    Coyotes will eat dogs and are very fond of cats. We have had some problems with coyotes eating beagles when they are rabbit hunting. The coyotes home in on the sound of beagles chasing rabbits and then kill and eat them.
    They are no harm to humans and most big dogs can hold their own. A smaller dog is supper.
    Most coyotes will overpower "big dogs" who are not trained to fight. It happens a lot here in California, and it's not even a close fight. Even if the "big dog" escapes, it is likely that she/he will have serious injuries.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Hike smarter, not harder.

We've got coyotes around our neighborhood, and at first they were just eating my neighbor's feral cats. Then they got one of ours, and a couple across the street, and down the street.....they'll eat whatever food is easiest to get.

Images

Coyotes are not native to the Appalachians but have moved in because of the lack of other predators and the increase in prey like deer. I would much rather see a return of mountain lions. Coyotes prey on pets and livestock, and here in Virginia there is a continuous open season on them but of course they probably can't be eradicated. I killed one a couple of years ago while deer hunting and using a doe bleat call. The coyote came at a full run.

Images

My old lab/springer mix, Bud, was fearless. He charged a coyote once, and then the pack came into view. He hesitated, but the pack was fearless. He would have been a snack to them, but instead ran back to me and acted in defense of me. I was able to grab his collar and get him back into the house. The pack was about 100 yards away. My experience with dachsunds is that they are usually at least as fearless as my old Bud was. Coyotes are also very opprotunistic and will jump at the chance for any easy meal. Keep Lennon on a leash is my recommendation.
    -clicker

Coyotes don't normally prey on dogs, and in fact, consider them competition, not a food source.

That being said, coyotes are territorial, so blatant aggression by a dog, interruption of feeding, encroachment on young, or cases of extreme hunger may lead to an attack, most of which would be classified as defensive.

As far as coyotes luring dogs away for a group ambush, those stories are anecdotal at best. It's always possible under the right circumstances (as stated before, extreme hunger), but it's unlikely. In fact, a number of dogs are routinely used to hunt coyotes, some of which are quite small (greyhound). Remember, most coyotes weigh around 30 lbs., ranging between 15 and 45 lbs.; they also tend to hunt in pairs, not packs. That being said, a larger, more aggressive breed dog, could in fact fend off a few coyotes, though at some risk to him/herself.

As for your Dachshund, well, they're notoriously aggressive and feisty, so I would think that the possibility of danger is increased by this dog's size and demeanor, so care should be taken if one is aware of the presence of coyotes; but as a rule, I'd think that the presence of large dogs would be a coyote deterrent in most instances.

They don't call them badger dogs (dachshunds) for nothing, but they're no match for a pack of coyotes. I heard a pack howling Sunday morning before dawn, walking my two Labs, and even they pricked up their ears and headed back towards the house. We've lost a couple of cats in the last three years, and I'm thinking that's why.

Images

Google "Coyote attacks on dogs"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hiketech View Post
    In fact, a number of dogs are routinely used to hunt coyotes, some of which are quite small (greyhound).
    My greyhounds are 75 lbs and 30" at the shoulder. A 75 lb greyhound looks huge next to a 75 lb dog with a less extreme physique. I have seen 90lb greyhounds that are as big as a deerhound. Small dogs, they are not.

Greyhound coyote hunting is usually done with a pickup and a pack of dogs in boxes specially rigged to open like a race gate. It is an odd sort of thing, but greyhounds cannot run very long, they are sprinters. Often the best coyote dogs are only part greyhound for speed with another sight hound mixed in for stamina.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    Coyotes are not native to the Appalachians but have moved in because of the lack of other predators and the increase in prey like deer. I would much rather see a return of mountain lions. Coyotes prey on pets and livestock, and here in Virginia there is a continuous open season on them but of course they probably can't be eradicated. I killed one a couple of years ago while deer hunting and using a doe bleat call. The coyote came at a full run.
    If you want to crash the coyote population without any significant effect (negative or positive either way) on domestic animals, support the reintroduction of the Eastern Wolf. Huge benefit to Yellowstone as a result would happen there, too: Wolves destroyed the invasive coyotes, bringing back a variety of other wildlife in the process.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Registered User Dances with Mice's Avatar
    Images

Keep her on the leash, coyotes won't come too near concious people. If attacked she can strangle them with that leash.

I said 'concious' because one time a pack silently surrounded the group I was with and at 3 in the morning, on cue, they all started howling. And we had a big German Shephard along with us. It didn't bother me at all, I'm used to waking up 5 feet in the air still inside a sleeping bag.

The point is, keep her near you.
    You never turned around to see the frowns
    On the jugglers and the clowns
    When they all did tricks for you.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post

Wrong Wrong on that mate,,, Just because you were not here over a hundred years ago, and neither was I.....Hey I generally do not call someone out - but you need to google Eastern Coyotes. They're Back!!!!
    Snack!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

OK, so the consensus is, keep her close, and on a leash and she should be fine?

I've never been concerned about coyotes, but I've never had them start howling that close to me before. It reminded me of that scene in the movie Stand By Me.

Registered User Pacific Tortuga's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Most coyotes will overpower "big dogs" who are not trained to fight. It happens a lot here in California, and it's not even a close fight. Even if the "big dog" escapes, it is likely that she/he will have serious injuries.
    TW

Out where I live, coyote bitchs in heat have been used to entice domestic males out in the brush, only to be ambushed and eaten.
    I know it's true, someone told a bunch of us while drinkin' around a camp fire at Irvine Lake.
    I do believe The Weasel is correct about our coyotes.

Since coyotes are opportunistic feeders, and will eat carrion as well as live prey, the possibility of rabies is always present. Keep your distance and watch your dog.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Hike smarter, not harder.

If you want to crash the coyote population without any significant effect (negative or positive either way) on domestic animals, support the reintroduction of the Eastern Wolf. Huge benefit to Yellowstone as a result would happen there, too: Wolves destroyed the invasive coyotes, bringing back a variety of other wildlife in the process.
    Yeah, elk down 70%. So when they de-list the wolf (yeah,right), will they list elk?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++