WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I met my husband on my second AT hike. We've hiked together for the past 17 years.
    Sorry that was a response to a question from EverydayJourneyman above that I forgot to quote.

A long distance really is, for some of us, more than just walking. It's more than just another vacation as well. Vacations are very temporary pleasures. Thruhiking can be, and has been for many of us, life altering activities. Attitudes toward the trail have changed over the years. I suppose forums like this encourage the cynicism. Talking from the heart is a good way of getting attacked, so it's easier to just say it's just another day in the woods. Yet so many of us go back, over and over again. Why? For some people a long hike can be a pilgrimage. It can be a spiritual journey. It can be a way of getting in touch with our most authentic selves. It can also be an alternate lifestyle that is more interesting than holding down a 9 to 5 gig and paying off a mortgage. It can be a way of belonging to a community of interesting insane people where we may fit in a bit better than we do in the mundane world. It can be a physical, emotional, spiritual testing of who we are and how we want to live our lives. It can be a way of proving something important to ourselvelves. It can be a way of feeding that part of ourselves that needs contact with the natural world.

People hike the long trails for a lot of different reasons. For some people it's just a walk in the woods. For a few of us - it is much more.

It is a dream many will never get to live. I always say it seemed like a good idea reading about it from my comfortable chair in my computer room, now I am doing it, so far no regrets but I have only hiked 315 miles so far. I was told it's about the journey and not the destination.............I have had my moments on the trail thats for sure just do it I say and have no regrets cherish the sunny days and smile and find a way to laugh on the rainy ones.

Happy Trails
    SpOtlight
    GA-ME
    "2009"
    "When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I was nervous at the start and every time I left town. I never knew what was going to happen out there. Every day was something new. But you take it as it comes, one day at a time.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

It's the anticipation of a great and wonderful adventure. The worst days on the trail are still better than a good day at work. The best days on the trail have no equal. Enjoy your journey. Wish you all the best!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

After the hike is the hard part, after relizing how great it is and the benifits of the trail, its hard to "get away" from the trail.

I look forward to our "Parade Of Fools" trips - helps keep the hike going. The best part is the people, you always look forward to hiking with them again and its hard not to want to hike with all your fellow thruers - even if the chance will never present itself for some.

Images

Default Mixed Emotions

Quote Originally Posted by EverydayJourneyman View Post
    I'm starting to get really anxious and a bit nervous.
    MIXED EMOTIONS is the best way to decribe the start and the first few days. what am i saying. its the same for the rest of your hike
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Default how nervous was I?

I was very very nervous. attempting to thru hike the AT is NOT "just walking". It is five to six months of walking over some of the most challenging and rugged terrain anywhere in America. In fact, 70-90 % of those who start out attempting to thru hike do not succeed. Many of those throw in the towel in the first few hundred miles and there are some who actually quit on the approach trail (Yes I have actually heard this is the case!).

That said, If you can last a week and still be happy, you will be over your nervousness and in good shape to hike the whole trail. For those forutnate enough to already know how beautiful the Northern New England states are, and especially how spectacular the whites are and Baxter State park is, that knowledge enough can be enough to keep you going. It was for me.

David

Images

Seemed it took way to long to get going that first day. Trailheads are naturally hard to get to and it takes time. But once we got there, a slug of Maker's Mark Ky Bourbon and I was fine.

But seriously folks, after the first hour, the first shelter, the first day and a dozen other first it was finding the groove and moving ahead.

Garlic
    Images

Not nervous at all. Echoing Blissful, I thought every day out there was an entry on the credit side of the balance sheet.

But success is priceless, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have to admit that I was terrified for the 2 weeks before my start. After 2 weeks on the AT I was so excited for the next day to start as it was fanatastic.

If you think you're nervous about starting the trail, wait until you are getting off the trail and going back to the real world. I found that to be much harder.

I think becoming nervous is natural, and how anxious you get is largely dependent on your personality. I'm a person who worries about stuff, and what I've realized in life is that I will find something to worry about, regardless of how irrational, so I just accept it.

In 1994 when I first thru-hiked the Long Trail I planned the trip for like a year, had the guidebook nearly memorized, had everything sorted down to the T, and as we were driving up to the start I said to my girlfriend "I feel unprepared" and she started laughing, as the statement was so far from the truth.

In 1995 on my first AT hike, I felt the same

In 2001 I was very nervous, cause it had been 6 years since my last long hike

Last year I still felt a bit nervous, very much so once around other hikers heading up to Springer, but once walking felt fine.

I'm sure when I go next I will have my worry stage, just part of my personality, but I know it's not real and I just wait for it to pass, it always does.

The only point I would make is that if you suffer from strong anxiety (panic attacks) DO NOT make any big decisions during an episode, and keep in mind that a panic attack can last days. I wish I knew more about this back in 1995, but I didn't and I quit in Pearisburg that year.

Being nervous means you really care about what you are doing to be doing, and that desire will see you well on the trail, it's natural.

I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    The only point I would make is that if you suffer from strong anxiety (panic attacks) DO NOT make any big decisions during an episode, and keep in mind that a panic attack can last days.
    Thankfully no history of panic attacks Stranger. If being held at gunpoint by African warlords in January didn't trigger one, I think I should be panic attack free on the AT.

Moccasin, 2008 Thru-hiker TrippinBTM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    A long distance really is, for some of us, more than just walking. It's more than just another vacation as well. Vacations are very temporary pleasures. Thruhiking can be, and has been for many of us, life altering activities. Attitudes toward the trail have changed over the years. I suppose forums like this encourage the cynicism. Talking from the heart is a good way of getting attacked, so it's easier to just say it's just another day in the woods.
    Hey, I'm not afraid to say my thruhike changed my life. I learned so much about myself out there, important things, I'd even call them epiphanies. It was the best thing I had ever done in my life, and I can only hope there will be more great things like that to come.

But for someone getting nervous about starting, it's not a bad thing to calm down these huge and high aspirations by saying "it's just walking." If the idea is amped up too much, it just adds to the anxiety. Of course it's more than that, but he'll find that out soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby View Post
    I was more anxious than nervous. It was odd to [i]actually[i] stand on Springer, knowing it was all about to begin.

I would say I was also confident. In order to start a thru-hike on the right foot, you MUST be confident you are going to go all the way, hell or high water.

Hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.
    Kirby you described my thoughts that first day as the rain started to fall! Well put!

Thankfully no history of panic attacks Stranger. If being held at gunpoint by African warlords in January didn't trigger one, I think I should be panic attack free on the AT.
    Good luck man. If you need anything, we are in Asheville. May keep up with ya and throw some magic on ya! Good luck. The nerves are the best part. If you know you are ready, then your are ready! Good luck, its a friggin awesome way to spend your next few months!

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

I'm starting to get really anxious and a bit nervous. Just wondering how past thru-hikers dealt with growing nerves. Or perhaps you were completely unfazed by the entire thing.
    ==========================

For me back in 2003 it was a case of mixed emotions ...kinda like watching someone you absolutely hate drive over a cliff in your new car.

I was more anxious and ready to start walking than anything else. But I do remember feeling a little guilty and irresponsible quitting a good paying job to go walking for 6 months.

In looking back though ...it was all in my head. I've never regretted for a moment walking the trail in 2003. Wish I had done it sooner.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Default how nervous were you before your AT thru-hike

Well I did not have a clue what thru hiking meant!was reading a old nat.geographic magazine,said heck getting my income tax back and wham!was on the trail hiking first person I ran into was johnny reb,he says go home ky I thought fk you!been hiking every since.amazing how a little magazine can open so many eyes.ky

Hey, I'm with you. I'm starting SOBO soon and though I'm not thinking about it 24/7, every now and again I get butterflies in my stomach (like just now) and think to myself: "what the HELL am I doing? am I crazy or something?"

I was so nervous I thought I was going to puke. Hadn't felt like that since my first deployment in the military. However, the moment I set foot on the trail I was fine. Granted I failed my attempt at 714 miles -- but had a pretty good time up until then.
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++