WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Clarified Butter

I wanted to take clarified butter instead of taking olive oil. After was all said and done the clarified butter just became really thick and unusable on the trail. Did I not do something right? Was it too chilly should I have stored it in a squeeze tube?
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Mighta been your method of dispensing. Go to your local pharmacy / drug store and find feeding syringes (Petco might also have them.) They're pretty damn light and for things like butter, they're the perfect size.
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

I stored it in a screw top container from a local pharmacy....like a travel shampoo type deal. The idea was to keep from spilling in my pack.
    Guess I didnt need to worry bout that.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Default Clarified Butter

Clarified butter is a solid at room temps. I keep mine in a screw top jar. Stored in a fridge at home, but is fine for weeks on extended canoe trips.

Dan

As noted above, properly done it should be very hard.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

You can also buy Ghee from an Indian grocery store and that way the work is already done for you. It's somewhat similar to the clarified butter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    You can also buy Ghee from an Indian grocery store and that way the work is already done for you. It's somewhat similar to the clarified butter.

Ya I came accross some at a super walmart in the kosher section was $6 for a small jar.

I tried making this at home, but just ended up with butter. I followed the steps I found online, but there weren't many solids to strain.

Default clarified butter

Moisture of any kind is really really bad for ghee or clarified butter. A wet utenzil is a common culprit.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post

Probably your best option is to buy. It takes some pratice to learn how to render out all of the solids. Ghee is a little pricey, but I know for a fact that you can buy it at Whole Foods.....and most likely places like Green life and Fresh Market. THe whole foods here sells the large jar for just over $7

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Luxury Bullseye View Post
    I tried making this at home, but just ended up with butter. I followed the steps I found online, but there weren't many solids to strain.

low, low temps in a non-teflon pan

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Default clarified butter

they're right. Cook slowly, skim and when well seperated from from all impurities and it begins to smoke then it is ready; strain through fine sieve or a piece of linen. Purified butter is brought to boil for two or three minutes, allowed to stand to settle, then skim and pass it through a fine sieve pouring off the top only so to leave the sediment on the bottom. Great stuff, have fun and experiment.
    "you ain't settin your sights to high son, but if you want to follow in my tracks I'll help ya up the trail some."

Rooster Cogburn.

In one of the restaurants I worked in we made this in large batches and I always found that to be easier with getting it separated. Small amounts didnt come out so good. I'm pretty sure we did about 2-3 lbs at a time placed into a tin in the steam table. Haven't made much at home just a few times but less than a stick didn't get quite the separation I was accustomed to in the restaurant. We never seived it though either, at the amounts we used we just poured it off.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

++ New Posts ++