WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Knees,ankles,legs?

Has anyone out there completed a thru-hike with less than good physical condition of they're legs? I have old injuries and I am not an experienced hiker, but I have been seriously planing to hike the trail for over 5 years now. I was planing on '09 when all my kids were graduated and all, but it snuck up on me and then I was like, fine I'll make it 10, now I am afraid, if this was the year I was planning to go, and now I am not prepared and putting it of to next year... ???? Thats beside the point I started to ask about, physically, legs, do they get stronger as you go?

Images

Yes, definitely.

People have completed the trail on crutches, blind, with all sorts of physical ailments. Only about 80% of what it takes is physical, the rest is strictly mental. You must be ready for discomfort, inconvenience, flexibility.

The trail can be hiked at any pace necessary for the individual. That is why most anyone who can walk can complete it - IF THEIR ATTITUDE IS RIGHT! Listen to your body, rest when you need to, slow down when you need to, but also push yourself when you need to.

Have fun!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Yes, definitely.

People have completed the trail on crutches, blind, with all sorts of physical ailments. Only about 80% of what it takes is physical, the rest is strictly mental. You must be ready for discomfort, inconvenience, flexibility.

The trail can be hiked at any pace necessary for the individual. That is why most anyone who can walk can complete it - IF THEIR ATTITUDE IS RIGHT! Listen to your body, rest when you need to, slow down when you need to, but also push yourself when you need to.

Have fun!!!
    Good advice! I've got two bad knees and one less than good ankle. The first month was a bugger, but everything comes back around to feeling good. My rule for the first 30 days was no double digit days. I broke it once on a slack pack, but it was a rule that served me well. When April rolled around, my legs were just fine with 15+ mile days. Downs still suck, but one needs something to complain about at the end of the day.
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

one foot in front of the other, do it again.

Yes. Once with a totally worn out knee and once after replacing it. The first time was painful but that didn't keep me from finishing. The second time was easy - only 'normal' pain.

I learned to avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflamatories (nsai) like ibuprofen, naproxin sodium and asprin. When I used only Tylenol when it got really bad, the pain went way down after about a month.

Thank You all so much!!!

My doctor told me, "No one with your knee problems has ever walked 2,000 miles". I proved him wrong.

As Bill Irwin once said, put enough 10 mile days together, and eventually you'll get there.

It's not a sprint to the finish line, it is a very slow marathon (day after day).
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

you should start training now. no reason not too.

strength train for your legs........squats, lunges etc

peace
    mf

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yup. My knees were basically out of it for a good part of the hike, and I suffered two injuries (calf and ankle sprain). But I was determined to stand on the Big K without any ace wraps and did it.

I started at Springer with a bad toe and a thigh hurting. Pains come and go.

Poles, watching my mileage and pack weight, eating right and changing shoes frequently helped me.

Don't be scared off. Just do it!!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

At the Florida Trail festival I met two very incredible women. One started hiking at 65 and her first long hike she thru hiked the AT, she is now in her 80's and is still hiking. The other woman I met started hiking at 60, she has thru hiked the Florida Trail (FT) twice and now at the age of 80 is section hiking the FT. When I met her last month she had just completed a 4 day hike (47 miles) at the age of 80. Both of these women wear packs that weigh in the 30 lb range. Now if that does not inspire you nothing will. I was awe inspired these women were pitching their tents, sleeping on hard ground in their 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    At the Florida Trail festival I met two very incredible women. One started hiking at 65 and her first long hike she thru hiked the AT, she is now in her 80's and is still hiking. The other woman I met started hiking at 60, she has thru hiked the Florida Trail (FT) twice and now at the age of 80 is section hiking the FT. When I met her last month she had just completed a 4 day hike (47 miles) at the age of 80. Both of these women wear packs that weigh in the 30 lb range. Now if that does not inspire you nothing will. I was awe inspired these women were pitching their tents, sleeping on hard ground in their 80's.
    I am inspired! Thank you

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Things that will help IMO...light pack, good shoes or boots, cho-pat knee braces, hiking poles, walking and stair climbing in preparation, taking it slow till your legs feel strong, and watch your step... over and over and over again. Enjoy your hike!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Nina -

This hike has been on my life list of things to do.

Hubby and I are going mid march of 2010.

We better see you out there! Get the knees in shape with any means at your disposal, and start walking and get that lung capacity up to snuff.

No doubt we will be huffing and puffing along with everyone else but hoping the lungs won't be under as much stress if I hadn't been working out. ( I can't even read that last sentence and understand it! lol)

By the way I am 65 now and wish I were 40, but this is the year!

We have most of our gear and have tested out one tent and its going back. My favorite material is light weight merino wool. Many places like REI, ULA, Campmoor, LL BEAN have deals on internet ( coupons ). Keep your eye out for deals as there are many out there.

If you want to chat just write us a note!
    Best to you,

Ham and THE BIG GUY

Default A word of wisdom....

It is unwise to start without preparation. You may do damage to your joints that could plague you for the remainder of your life. Start conditioning a few months before you plan to leave. You will not regret it. If you don't, you very well could.

Enjoy your hike. It will probably be the greatest experience of your lifetime.

I have hypermobile ankles from too many sprains. I had professional orthotics custom-made by a podiatrist (=NOT= the ones sold you by a shoe store clerk, which can cause more problems). They really improved my feet, ankles, hips, knees, and back. I no longer have problems when I hike long distances.

I had a stroke back in July 2007 which left my right side useless. I had to learn how to use my right arm and hand again, and learn how to walk again. Thru physical rehab and exercises consistently, I'm hiking again. My right leg is still somewhat slow, and I can only average a few miles a day, but I don't care. Last October I spent 3 days and 2 nights on the AT here in MA. It was great. As folks have said in previous posts, conditioning is the key. Cardio wise and strength wise I am in better shape than I ever have been. Exercise and practice hikes pay off when you hit the trail. All the best to you!

I have never completed a thru hike although I will be headed for springer 04/2014. However, I am overweight. My knees are bad. They are fine at 190 and terrible at 250. Solution. Lose weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Surplusman View Post
    I had a stroke back in July 2007 which left my right side useless. I had to learn how to use my right arm and hand again, and learn how to walk again. Thru physical rehab and exercises consistently, I'm hiking again. My right leg is still somewhat slow, and I can only average a few miles a day, but I don't care. Last October I spent 3 days and 2 nights on the AT here in MA. It was great. As folks have said in previous posts, conditioning is the key. Cardio wise and strength wise I am in better shape than I ever have been. Exercise and practice hikes pay off when you hit the trail. All the best to you!
    Congratulations to you Surplusman. It must have taken a tremendous amount of intestinal fortitude to work your way back so far. We have a dear friend, in fact my wife and I are her god parents, who had a dibilating stroke at 34 and her right side is almost useless. She was also left with speech impaired and she has difficulties with thought processes. It pains us so much to see her this way. She is a former Mrs. Tennessee.

It's up to you and it's a tough choice,but should you decide to go for it ,let me know,I'm looking for a partner to give me a push when needed and I'll do the same if ask. keep eachother motivated.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post

I started at Springer with a bad toe and a thigh hurting. Pains come and go.

Good point. We all have pain. As long as the pain is moving around from day to day, it's normal.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++