WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Thumbs up Blue Ridge Outdoors magazine

Just came back from the Whole Foods store in Springfield VA and they have free copies of Blue Ridge Outdoors every month. April's edition has a gorgeous cover shot of a campsite on the AT (from a bald I would guess), and some good articles inside on the AT, including one about a blind hiker completing it (not the guy that did it many years ago.) There are also articles on recycling old gear and ultralight backpacks.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Yep, I got one of them a couple of weeks ago. Blue Ridge is a pretty good publication, particularly as it's free.

Images

BRO is a sweet magazine. Really, nothing else is filling that niche in the South right now.

Images

I'm trying not to be a bonehead to ask this question but how on earth does a blind man make it from Georgia to Maine?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I'm trying not to be a bonehead to ask this question but how on earth does a blind man make it from Georgia to Maine?
    Read: Blind Courage by Bill Erwin. An amazing journal and a fine read.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

The Bill Erwin book is excellent. This most recent blind hiker admits to falling as much as 78 times in one day. He asked for help from hikers along the way. Bill Erwin used a guide dog that seemed to know how to follow the trail. But yeah, I still don't understand how they did it. I've been on too many places along the trail where the trail is so hard and I've asked myself how on earth a blind person could have done it - especially stream crossings and really rocky areas. But God bless them for doing it when too many sighted people won't get off their butts at all.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Christus Cowboy
    Images

Default Zero Zero....

About a year ago I ran into Zero-Zero (who was also blind) on the trail at the Mountaineer Falls Shelter then again at Moreland Gap.... Pretty amazing story and a great guy.. He credited the trail community for his success.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/show...&cutoffdate=-1

At the time that I ran into him he was with BearCub who he followed for quite a ways on the trail......
    Be on the alert, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong. Let all that you do be done in love..... 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Simply amazing individuals.

Images

Very good question... nothing bonehead about it.
    To apply the term "blind" ones acuity must be no better than 20/200 corrected .

My daughters corrected vision is 20/300 , therefore she is considered legally blind but as recently as today hiked Bearfence circuit with me.
    Bearfence is a rock scramble to the top, she is a real trooper though.

So she could hike the AT but would need assistance in order to finish.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

The perpetual thru-hiker!
    Images

Every time that I have found myself dragging along on a tough spot of trail, wishing for a comfy recliner and a cold beer, I think about Bill Irwin and tell myself that if he could do it, maybe I can too.......

Default According to Bill Irwin....

Bill Irwin has "grayed vision," sees shadows but nothing clearly. Sooo many times along the Trail, I looked down and thought , "How'd he ever do it!?!" In talking with Bill, he explained it this way, "God led the dog and the dog led me." Still, I can't even imagine...

Blind Courage is a great read. Inspiring. Suitable for 6th-7th graders on up. A good 'first' book for Trail enthusiasts.

S
    Sunny aka Sunrise ga-me 02 aka Cody Zamora
    Have a bright and
    Sunny Day!

Trevor Thomas the blind guy that thruhiked in 2008 is planning on a 2010 thruhike on the Pacific Crest Trail with a team of 4 other hikers. No handicapped person has ever even attempted it!

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Baggins View Post
    The Bill Erwin book is excellent. This most recent blind hiker admits to falling as much as 78 times in one day. He asked for help from hikers along the way. Bill Erwin used a guide dog that seemed to know how to follow the trail. But yeah, I still don't understand how they did it.
    Just imagine having a guy fall on you 78 times a day. I actually watched it for a while that year. It made me sick, I should have found a way to stop it.

that is what keeps me going if bill can do it there is not a reason why i cant either. have the book it is great

++ New Posts ++