WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I do disagree on the bear pinata. I haven't heard of any confirmed reports of people being bothered in a hammock. Think it is the same as a tent on this one. Both which are safer than cowboying.
    I disagree as well but that is their reasoning. Heck, I have Cowboy'd at Philmont with no troubles.

Images

thanks all, for the input....I'm still a little confused on their rules, tho....

I saw the article at backpackinglight, where they used a sil betamid without the floor. It looks like the tarptent rainbow or contrail, or the Gossamer Gear shelters, which can close up, would also meet the definition of a "tent"....

It looks like I'll actually be purchasing two shelters - one for my son and his friend, and one for me. We're going as part of the council contingency, and haven't been put in a crew yet, so I don't know yet who the other adult(s) are. My inclination is to get / plan on my own shelter. Am thinking about maybe the Rainbow 2 for Scott and his buddy....

It sounds like a decision I'll have to make is whether to go with a shelter without an integrated floor (betalite with tyvek ground cloth) or one with an integrated floor. How bad are the chipmunks?

will do some research and come back here with questions!
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    Hi, all. A dedicated hammocker, I find myself in the position of having to plan to "go to ground!" Scott and I are planning to do a Philmont trek in 2010, and are beginning to think about gear (they don't allow hammocks). My understanding of the Philmont rules is that they require complete coverage above the ground (for example, couldn't use a 3-sided tarptent, but one crew that posted a report at backpackinglight.com used BD betalites a few years ago, which provide full coverage), but don't necessarily need a complete tent.

Recommendations? What's the latest / greatest lightweight shelter for 2 / 3 these days?

Steve
    I was there last summer. Our crew of 12 used a Tarptent Cloudburst, a TT Squall, 2 REI Quarterdomes, a Sierra Designs Lightyear, and an MSR Twin Peaks Tarp. All worked great, and no one questioned our shelters- even the Twin Peaks which was open along the sides.

I, too, missed my hammock.

Have a great trip- take a little extra time to see the surrounding area if you can. Check out the Koshare Indian Museum and Kiva in La Junta, CO.
    The necessities of life weigh less than 20 pounds. Everything else is a luxury.

Images

Get a pair of Double Rainbows -- they make a great solo shelter for adults, and the two kids will fit in the other one just fine.

You can always sell them here when you get back. Tarptents tend to sell quickly.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

GA-ME 2011
    Images

I plan on taking my Tarptent Rainbow.

Does Philmont or Boy Scouts of America have any maximum weight restrictions?

Yes I am trolling

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Yes I am trolling
    TROLL!

chuckle....

if you're talking body weight, well, yeah:
    http://www.scouting.org/HighAdventur...rs/weight.aspx

if you're talking pack weight, quoting from same article:
    "Philmont recommends that participants carry a pack weighing no more than 25% to 30% of their body weight."

yeah, 30% of 210......that's not happening!

Hike smarter, not harder.

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post

Yes I am trolling
    Only as it applies to rescues. I think they have a 295# maximum per adult, and you have to be 6' 7" to be allowed that.

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Only as it applies to rescues. I think they have a 295# maximum per adult, and you have to be 6' 7" to be allowed that.
    No quite true. The height / weight applies to being allowed on the trail. Every summer, adults seem to "forget" about the height / weight chart and show up expecting to be on the trail. The MD's at Philmont do have final say and exceptions are made for kids (athletes with all muscle tend to blow the chart off of the page). Rarely, if ever, are exceptions made for adults some are sent home every summer without ever being allowed on the trail. If you or any other adult is borderline, call Philmont at 575-376-2281 and ask.

Images

During the first five days of the 2008 Philmont season, 16 were sent hone for being overweight. Two of the 16 were youth.

From the Philmont Risk Advisory:

"Participants 21 years and older who exceed the maximum acceptable weight limit for their height at the Philmont medical
    recheck WILL NOT be permitted to backpack or hike at Philmont
    . For example, a person 70 inches tall cannot weigh more than

226 lbs. All heights and weights will be measured in stocking feet."

Everyone gets the Height/Weight table long before the trek...

Images

Minor quibble...

Of the 16 sent home for not making the weight, an unknown number were youth.

but I bettcha most were adults....

Default Philmont tent

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Probably the lightest tents out there right now would be either the Gossamer Gear "The One", or the Gossamer Gear "Squall Classic". The One is lighter, but the Squall Classic is roomier for not much more weight.
    My son and I went to Philmont last year. I had the GG squall classic and it worked great for me. There was one morning that it had condensation on the interior walls but not enough to cause a problem. It certainly was the lightest tent in our group (22 oz. w/stakes & pole) and packs down nice and small.

I do wish they allowed hammocks though.

Quote Originally Posted by dbjaime3 View Post
    We are going to Philmont in late August. This will be my first trip. I have purchased a Traptent Contrail for this trip. It weights 24 oz. I have not even set it up once, so I can not give you any input on the tent. The review on it from this forum and others rate it a good.

I will be going on a small backpack trip in a couple weeks and it will be my first try with it.

I have been to Philmont twice (97 and 2000)Don't think too many moms can say that I also have a Contrail. I highly recommend it and think it would be perfect for Philmont.

Did you take the tarptents to Philmont? That would be great, if they are allowed!
    I don't see why not. My contrail has complete walls and as much coverage as the Philmont tents they loan out.

How bad are the chipmunks?
    How bad are the Chipmunks? Plentiful and bold. They will dig in your pack with it next to you!

Images

Hi, all. I'm resurrecting this thread to hopefully get your reivew / critique of my first cut at Philmont gear lists for Scott and I. The "gotta buy"s are items I plan to purchase. Ideas? Anything I'm leaving out? Suggestions for alternative? (The totals assume 2 liters of water, 6 lbs of food, and 3 lbs of group gear).

Thanks!

Steve (item / weight in ounces)
    Granite Gear Vapor Trail 32.00
    pack raincover (sea to summit medium) 3.0 (gotta buy)
    Sleep System
    HH Tarptent Double Rainbow 41.0 (gotta buy)
    Thru-hiker down quilt 21.0
    Thermorest NeoAir Reg 14.0 (gotta buy)
    Pillow (Coccoon UL Air core) 4.8 (gotta buy)
    Personal kitchen
    orikasa bowl 2.0
    travel coffee mug 4.0
    MSR Mug mate 3.0
    Hydration
    3 liter canteen 3.0
    platypus 2 liter Big Zip w/ tube 4.0
    Personal
    Glasses case / cleaner 5.0
    headlamp 4.0
    Pulsar II backup 0.3
    5Leatherman 'Squirt P4' 2.0
    Ditty bag* 7.5
    50 ft kelty trip-tease cord 1.0
    Camera 5.1
    wipes / gold bond / tp 12.0
    Personal first aid kit (extra batteries) 6.0
    Clothing Carried
    Frogg Toggs top & bottom 15.0 (gotta buy - estimating weight)
    Poly l-s 14.0
    poly bottom14.0
    extra sock 3.0
    sleep sock 3.0
    balaclava 3.0
    2 pair spare boxers / bike shorts 8.0
    Group gear assumed
    food 96.0
    gear 48.0
    Total pack weight 23.85 lbs 381.7 oz
    * Ditty bag: toothbrush /paste, salt/pepper, spork, lighter, hand sanitizer, dental floss, camp suds
    Worn / carried
    Tilly hat 4.0
    poly t-shirt 6.0
    zip-off pants12.0
    hiking socks 4.0
    Merrell Moab ventilator hiking shoes / shoe inserts 38.0
    Leki Makalu hiking poles 21.0
    Total, worn or carried 85.0
    Total, skin-out weight 29.17lbs 466.7ozs

Scott:
    Golite Jam 2 20.0
    smallpack raincover (sea to summit medium) 3.1
    Tyvek groundsheet 10.0
    stakes 4.0
    Campmore 40 deg down bag 31.5
    Thermorest zlite short 9.2
    Cocoon silk liner 4.4
    Personal kitchen items
    orikasa bowl 2.0
    Snowpeak 450ml titanium mug 2.1
    Hydration
    2 liter bladder 3.1
    platypus 2 liter Big Zip w/ tube 4.0
    PersonalGlasses case / cleaner 5.0
    headlamp 4.0
    Pulsar II backup 0.25
    knife 4.0
    Ditty bag* 3.5
    wipes / gold bond / tp 6.0
    Personal first aid kit (extra batteries) 3.0
    Clothing Carried
    Frogg Toggs top & bottom 13.0 (gotta buy)
    Poly l-s top 4.0
    poly bottom 2.8
    extra sock 3.0
    sleep sock 3.0
    balaclava 2.0
    2 pair spare boxers / bike shorts 4.0
    Group gear
    Assumed: food: 96
    gear: 48
    Total pack weight: 18.68lbs, 298.8 ozs.

*Ditty bag: toothbrush /paste, salt/pepper, spork, lighter, hand sanitizer, dental floss, camp suds
    Worn / carried
    hat 4.0
    poly t-shirt 4.8
    zip-off pants 14.0
    hiking socks 3.0
    Merrell Moab ventilator hiking shoes 32.0 (need new ones - will outgrow current)
    REI Ascent hiking poles 16.0
    Total, worn or carried: 4.6 lbs, 73.8 ozs

Total, skin-out weight: 23.3 lbs, 372.6 ozs

Journal Entries
    Images

I got a real problem with the BSA's weight height requirement. And it came up in one of our District Roundtables not long ago. I am 72 inches tall and just barely tip over their weigh limits for that height. And I am no strong 3.5 or 4 mph hiker, but I have hiked with Boy Scouts who in NO WAY could out hike me. I think the rules shouldn't be so STRICTLY enforced. I mean I can see a 72 inch tall 235 pound adult with ZERO experience not being allowed on the trail. But why should a 72 inch tall 235 pound adult with 30+ nights per year on the trail and 200+ per year trail miles be treated the same in the BSA's eyes?

I went to Philmont back in 2002 with my pops and a best friend, his mom and a bunch of other people we didn't know till that point. It was an amazing time! I wa sglad we had a floored tent because it rained about every other day on us!

I have a newer, smaller, lighter, fancier tent now and if I ever went back or when I go on extended trips with unpredictable weather, I'd bring it along for the rainy days

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++