WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking For BSA Registered Adult Leader

I am taking 7 Scouts on a 30 mile trip from Massie Gap south to Damascus. Per BSA regulations, we need another adult leader that I can't get from within our Troop ranks. If you and your son (or just you) are interested in joining us, please contact me. We have not firmed up our departure date yet but we should be leaving Morehead City, NC on June 6th, 7th or 8th.
    After our hike, we intend to do the upper portion of the Virginia Creeper Trail (on bicycles).

This was designed to be a shakedown hike for Philmont but as it turns out, only 3 of the seven are going to Philmont. I am Wilderness First Aid certified, my CPR has expired.

Thanks,

Tom Dale
    ASM BSA Troop 130
    Morehead City, NC
    Enough is OK, too much is just right.

Try contacting your local Order of the Arrow lodge. OA youth that are 18-21 years old are qualified as adult scout leaders and many times these college aged guys will help troops fill in the gaps for trips like this.

I have done this trip with scouts before and it is a good hike.

Enjoy!

Kevin

Images

Hi, Tom. You may know this, but do you have any of the parents (over 21) that can go with you? While another registered leader is desireable, it's not required:

http://www.scouting.org/HealthandSafety/GSS/gss01.aspx

"Two-deep leadership.
    Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings."

Have fun prepping for Philmont!

Steve
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Steve,

Thanks for the idea but no, I don't have any others (yet) and our trip is drawing closer. Several of our adults are involved in a big fishing tournament here - The Big Rock Blue Marlin Tournament. If that wasn't going on, I wouldn't have any trouble.

Tom

sounds like fun... did you try some local troops? too far for me.

contact your district executive for your council, they will have contacts with all the troop, cub, and venturing leaders in your area. and may be able to help.....remember they are "paid" leaders so make them earn it.

eric

Journal Entries
    Images

Yeah, try your local OA lodge, that's your best bet.

I am trying all of your suggestions and hope that it works. The boys are really looking forward to it and for a couple of them it could potentially be a very meaningful experience. They are all great kids - one comes from a sad home situation and if the troop won't pay his expenses, I will. We are flatlanders (we are on the coast) and experiencing the mountains should be almost a whole new world for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorsMan View Post
    I am trying all of your suggestions and hope that it works. The boys are really looking forward to it and for a couple of them it could potentially be a very meaningful experience. They are all great kids - one comes from a sad home situation and if the troop won't pay his expenses, I will. We are flatlanders (we are on the coast) and experiencing the mountains should be almost a whole new world for them.
    Contact Reverend Bart Edwards (if this is not you Bart or somebody from Bart's Crew) at the Presbyterian Church in Moorehead City, NC. They are headed to Philmont later this summer and might like a chance for a last minute tune-up.

After re-reading the OP, it sounds like that this very well may be Bart's crew. Very Small World indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by riceNbeans View Post
    Contact Reverend Bart Edwards (if this is not you Bart or somebody from Bart's Crew) at the Presbyterian Church in Moorehead City, NC. They are headed to Philmont later this summer and might like a chance for a last minute tune-up.
    Yes, Bart and his son, Rollie are in my crew. They can't go.

We have not firmed up our departure date yet but we should be leaving Morehead City, NC on June 6th, 7th or 8th.

Thanks,

Tom Dale
    ASM BSA Troop 130
    Morehead City, NC

How many days will you be hiking? May be able to help you but won't know for sure until next week or so

Dean

Yes, Bart and his son, Rollie are in my crew. They can't go.
    Bart and I grew up in Fayetteville, AR together. Please tell him I said hello.

I am "Bart's friend" to which he referred during your trek selection process.

++ New Posts ++