WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Water condition- DRY-Hot Springs to Devil Fork gap

Several weeks ago I was told water was in abundance in response to my query r/t Hot Springs to Erwin. Well things change quickly I suppose. The spring @ Rich Mtn. is a 2 liter puddle. No water from Spring Mtn shelter to Little Laurel shelter (9 miles). The 2 pipe springs enroute are dry & the water @ Allen gap is contaminated; so camel-up and carry 3 liters if you can with this current heat. Lots of hikers were on empty between water sources.
    The other designated sources were all running well up to Devil Fork Gap where I got off the trail (for now ).
    It is preoccupation with possession, more than anything else that prevents men from living freely and nobly. B. Russell

Images

It was so dry and trickle pipe when we went in 2007 on that section. Between Jerry Cabin and Little Laurel, there is a nice sprng hole we only saw because a thru was there..Alpine Strider from Germany. We started that day at Jerry Cabin, came southbound off of the rocky ridge and in the valley after the rhodo patch and the trails off that and there was Alpine Stider, a thru watering up on the spring fed hole right off the trial near an obvious flat campsite in the valley. The spring is on the right going southbound. We would have walked right by it had it not been for Alpine Strider. Best water source we saw between Devils Fork Gap and Hot Springs. Deep and cold, plenty of fresh water, but very easy to overlook. I wish I knew the name of the spot.

++ New Posts ++