WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pebble Puppy View Post
    5:00 am alarms. why? why? why? If you leave by 9:00
    If you can sleep past 5AM, or have to ask why? I could never convince you that it is the best part of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    If you can sleep past 5AM, or have to ask why? I could never convince you that it is the best part of the day.
    I can stay up past 8:00 pm too.

Images

I can stay up past 8:00 pm too.
    You urbanites are so sophisticated. I have had poor luck making it to halftime in a number of years.

Images

5:00 am alarms. why? why? why? If you leave by 9:00 you can still get 8 to 10 hours of hiking in each day with plenty of time to make camp. The most beneficial sleep comes in the last couple of hours before you wake. That good REM sleep. Quiet hours 10:00 to 6:00. Sometimes I like to stay up a little later and sometimes I like to wake up a little later but 10:00 to 6:00 sounds reasonable if you are at a shelter with others.
    If you stay in a shelter, you should not complain about people arriving late or leaving early.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    If you stay in a shelter, you should not complain about people arriving late or leaving early.
    that is so common sensical

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    that is so common sensical
    you stop it with those dirty words.

a.k.a "the vagabond" Diamond Diggs's Avatar
    Images

well. I think there is a lot to say in all of this for being responsible and considerate hikers. If everyone cleaned up after themselves, kept food and trash put away from the shelters, used the privies as intended or follow LNT rules for sanitation, and show respect for fellow hikers when arriving late or leaving early by being mindful of noise levels..... shelters, IMO, would be a very pleasing experience for most.
    nevertheless - I personally perfer hanging up off the hard ground when I sleep, but I hike alone 99.9% of the time and enjoy the feeling of security in numbers at the shelter at night. A little company and fellowship of hikers that share a common passion is a great bonus as well. In my world (family&friends), I find it frustrating trying to communicate my love for the trail - with others who "just dont get it!" Its nice to be in company with others who do!

It's called...sharing a common space. If people want privacy theirs millions of acres to set up your tent.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man View Post
    hang with the crowd, then go sleep in the comfort, cleanliness and privacy of your own tent or hammock. pretty simple.
    That's my vote!

or anything else for that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    It's called...sharing a common space. If people want privacy theirs millions of acres to set up your tent.
    I tend to enjoy the company of people who, like myself, prefer to be alone.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

I hate shelters because of the inconsiderate hikers that want to party late or rise early and can't keep their mouth shut. I lived in dorms once and have moved on
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Default Hahaha!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    And I know what you mean about the nasty people using the bathroom, I stayed at 1 that the Jon was about 150 yards away and it was raining, some a55 let his kid stand under the awning and Sh1t right next to the shelter.
    *snort*

HAHHAAHA!

Default Mice? What mice?

I really enjoyed staying at the shelters on my section hike. But I can also osee alot of points here. When I think back on it, even though for the most part I had the shelters to my self, there were times it probably would have been more enjoyable sleeping down the trail. One instance is the Hemlock grove. When I stayed at Stover Creek I was thinking of moving on. The next morning, when I saw the groves I wished I did. Icould have slept under them and had a great night.
    And I never saw them mice but I assure you they are there, they really loved my tp:

Images

After you have had your new $400 Arc'teryx pack chewed by mice because of sweat odor you will blame anything or anyone. Hence, the mice live in the shelter so it must be the shelters' fault. Aiding and abetting known criminals is illegal even here in Tennessee. Shelters must go!!!! Hangin's too good fer em!
    Birdog

Underestimation is the mother of all failure

Quote Originally Posted by birdog View Post
    After you have had your new $400 Arc'teryx pack chewed by mice because of sweat odor you will blame anything or anyone. Hence, the mice live in the shelter so it must be the shelters' fault. Aiding and abetting known criminals is illegal even here in Tennessee. Shelters must go!!!! Hangin's too good fer em!
    I was thinking...flame thrower.

In Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods he wrote that he was in awe of a thru-hiker that camped out in the woods alone. While I was reading that book, I always thought it was weird that they hiked shelter to shelter, or shelter to hostel, or shelter to motel. They had tents too, but never apparently realized that all those woods next to the trail where the same darn woods next to the shelter. Do people really hike exclusively between man-made sleeping stops?

Quote Originally Posted by the vagabond View Post
    well. I think there is a lot to say in all of this for being responsible and considerate hikers. If everyone cleaned up after themselves, kept food and trash put away from the shelters, used the privies as intended or follow LNT rules for sanitation, and show respect for fellow hikers when arriving late or leaving early by being mindful of noise levels..... shelters, IMO, would be a very pleasing experience for most.....
    Uh...one great thing about the trail is there's plenty of elbow room IYKWIM. And a shelter full of socializing hikers making a little noise and having a good time after dark IS a very pleasing experience for most.

The only requirement to sleep in shelters is using the word "awesome" repeatedly during conversation.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    mice
    snoring
    late arrivers
    early leavers
    somebody pissing off the edge of the platform in the middle of the night
    shelters usually don't happen to be where I am when it starts getting dark and it's time to sleep

there's more
    yep! that pretty much sums it up! shelters suck!
    "You do more hiking with your head than your feet!" Emma "Grandma" Gatewood...HYOY!!!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/?

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
++ New Posts ++