WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: NOBO vs. SOBO

Default NOBO vs. SOBO

I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the differences between hiking from maine to georgia vs. hiking from geogia to maine and also flip flop I guess it's a matter of oppinion but I know nothing and have no opinion

Well, you've opened Pandora's Box again for sure, but there are many arguments either way. But if you want peace, solitude, and good folk, SOBO is the way to go, you'll meeet the Nobo's along the way and find the Sobo's here and ther at the end of the day as you hike south.
    Enoy!!

I don't think it makes much difference. You have to climb the mountains in either direction.

Here we go....... I really enjoyed my NOBO. Lots of great people but a fair share of oddities, packed shelters and hostels. Lots of inconsiderate people. I enjoyed the magic and the togetherness that follows your group once you exit Virginia. I would like to try a SOBO and get the solitude I hear so much about.

Quote Originally Posted by toothpick View Post
    I don't think it makes much difference. You have to climb the mountains in either direction.
    Have you thruhiked? Im not being an a** but there is a huge difference.

Garlic
    Images

I pondered it long and hard before my thru, and went NOBO mainly because I didn't want to be hiking into the winter and shorter days. I didn't like the discontinuity of a flip, also the additional travel expense. Good luck in your decision.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I didn't even think about the cost of flipping. I also don't like the idea of stoping halfway and kinda starting over. It's funny the very first thought of a thru-hike I thought start in the north and go south as it gets colder.????

Yup. . . logistically if you go south you are following the seasons. . . .

I only hiked Georgia to Maine, so I can't honestly compare the two, just give my reasons for going the way I did. One was the start time. I wanted to go end to end beginning in early spring, so that realistically meant south to north. I wanted to do a one-way trek, so that meant not flip-flopping (although, I don't THINK I actually even thought about it before my hike and wasn't even aware of the term). I was honestly looking forward to company along the way, so the potential for "crowds" didn't deter me ... and I actually rarely encountered anything I could call a crowd. Maybe it was just my timing, I don't know. Also, I liked the idea of finishing on Katahdin. I'd just seen SO many photos of happy hikers leaning on, sitting on, kissing, hugging and otherwise expressing their affection for that sign, I wanted a picture there, too. It would be neat to try the trail the other way, though.

Images

Im going SOBo from the border of Ct never did it so Hope its fun
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

Check out the Southbound Forum for good threads on this subject, including this one in particular:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18198

Quote Originally Posted by Ramkitten View Post
    Also, I liked the idea of finishing on Katahdin. I'd just seen SO many photos of happy hikers leaning on, sitting on, kissing, hugging and otherwise expressing their affection for that sign, I wanted a picture there, too. It would be neat to try the trail the other way, though.

Come to think of it, I've never seen a photo of anyone finishing the trail at Springer. I know they exist but I do not recall any.

The main difference is crowds. If you like them, go NOBO, if you don't, go SOBO

The other big difference is the start. Maine and northern NH are the hardest. Also the 100 mile wilderness is right at the beginning for a SOBO. Meaning, you have to have some skills and be in somewhat better shape for a SOBO hike. (NOBO'ers are often newbies with little to no experience)

Besides that, it is the starting time. NOBOers generally start early spring, SOBOers early summer.

The only bummer about a SOBO IMO is the finish is not nearly as spectacular. But, many flip flop anyway so that would make it a moot point.

I would highly recommend the SOBO (having done both) BUT, you'd better work out on a step machine or steep mountains before you start, or you're gonna be in pain.

Hope that helps. Have fun, whatever you do!
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    Come to think of it, I've never seen a photo of anyone finishing the trail at Springer. I know they exist but I do not recall any.
    Here's one that's been on whiteblaze for some time now (2,600 hits)
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I cant wait to leave SOBO this fRIDAY
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    I cant wait to leave SOBO this fRIDAY
    Good luck, and have fun!

Images

HELLO MR.TACO u WANNA COME?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    HELLO MR.TACO u WANNA COME?
    Uhh, no thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nina View Post
    I was wondering if anyone had any comments about the differences between hiking from maine to georgia vs. hiking from geogia to maine and also flip flop I guess it's a matter of oppinion but I know nothing and have no opinion
    SOBO is a better experience

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    SOBO is a better experience
    Good advice from the only posted that has done both.

I'll have to admit that when I get around to hiking the AT again, too many things I want to do in the mean time, I might go north to see the difference.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++