WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Outfitter's on the AT

I have had this conversation with a few hikers and am curious as to the opinion of other WBer's. What is your favorite Outfitter on the AT or in the towns along the AT?

Im a big fan of Bluff Mtn in Hot Springs

Images

Yeah Chaco ,where the nearest Outfitter's the resupply southbound from NY border i dont really know to much about this trail
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

to resupply i meant
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanhkr23 View Post
    Yeah Chaco ,where the nearest Outfitter's the resupply southbound from NY border i dont really know to much about this trail
    get a guidebook like the app. pages or the thru-hikers handbook.
    mines in the other room or i'da looked it up for ya.
    "Ye who laughs last probably started laughing first."

Images

yeah i got one of those Guidebooks
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

just check it. it'll tell ya.
    "Ye who laughs last probably started laughing first."

Images

yeah i dont like that thing,but ill keep trying to understand some of it
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Smith Gap, Pennsylvania - SEE your (The AT Guide) for more information

Default Cabela's

Cabela's in Pa., it's an amazing place, you could spend an entire day here.

Located just 1 mile South of the AT trailhead, on Pa RT 61, near Hamburg Pa.

Give them a call at (610-929-7000), for ride, open 7 days a week.

Did I mention the in store restaurant and deli, with a "killer" menu?

see ... http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te.../delimenu.html

Cabela's has car camping stuff, not hiking stuff... unless we're talking about a few clothing items

Default Outfitters

Quote Originally Posted by zoidfu View Post
    Cabela's has car camping stuff, not hiking stuff... unless we're talking about a few clothing items
    ................ever been there??

We are talking about visiting the real Cabela's "OUTFITTERS" only a mile from the AT, not just some hunting ad you may have got in your mailbox.

Cabela's PA store really has everything, from sturdy hiking shoes and boots, to lightweight hikers,foam pads, petzl headlamps, sleeping bags, tents, freeze dried foods, stoves, fuel, and not just car camping stuff, ............................. anything, and more than a hiker might want while passing thru Hamburg Pa for sure.

The place is a wildlife museum, zoo, aquarium, and tourist attraction combined.

Default ?

Negative feedback does no good here, this is not a debate thread last time I checked.
    Stop putting down others folks favorite outfitters, and just answer the question.

What is YOUR favorite outfitters along the AT, or in the towns along the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by The Mechanical Man View Post

We are talking about visiting the real Cabela's "OUTFITTERS" only a mile from the AT, not just some hunting ad you may have got in your mailbox.

Cabela's PA store really has everything, from sturdy hiking shoes and boots, to lightweight hikers,foam pads, petzl headlamps, sleeping bags, tents, freeze dried foods, stoves, fuel, and not just car camping stuff, ............................. anything, and more than a hiker might want while passing thru Hamburg Pa for sure.

Yeah, you just named the handful of low end items that are actually relevant to hiking... I guess you could consider it an outfitter for hiking if you're impressed by the 40 sq. ft. devoted to hiking out of the available billion sq. ft. inside. Sorry, but I'm not impressed with synthetic sleeping bags, mountain houses, headlamps or anything else that you can get at any walmart for 3/4's of the price. I also challenge you to-

A. Find an employee

B. Find one that actually knows something about gear

It's a nice place to visit once for an hour, possibly an hour and half... if you're into seeing stuffed animals(Zoos actually have LIVE animals), paying 10 dollars for a burger and fries, and are into seeing fish that you can catch out of any body of water up here... Anyway, they have the space and resources to be the best outfitter on the trail but they barely even try. It's simply not their demographic for the most part.

Negative feedback does no good here, this is not a debate thread last time I checked.
    Stop putting down others folks favorite outfitters, and just answer the question.

What is YOUR favorite outfitters along the AT, or in the towns along the AT?
    Why, because you say so?

But if you really want to know- The Doyle. Pat and Vicki are top rate people, the food is excellent and I like being outfitted with a backpack full of beer- A gear buy that I never regret.

I also like the outfitter at NOC. They hooked me up and I felt like I was the only person in the place even though it was packed.

i've been there and it's a good 4 miles from the AT

Images

Mountain crossings. The selection at Mountain Crossings isn't huge, but I think that is because they don't sell crap they don't believe in. The items they have are top notch and the prices aren't the cheapest but they are fair. I kinda wish they were a bit further up the trail so I wouldn't be there 2 days after Springer, but lots of folks got to complete a thru hike they would not have finished if it was any further.

I now it's a good distance from the trail, but I stepped into an outfitter in Dawsonville once that I was really impressed with also. I cannot remember the name but they treated me like I was the most important person who ever stepped in the door.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

He just openned a couple years ago, not sure if he is still there, but Ye old backpacker put us up at the outfitter and took us to a good grocery store. Same spot as Cabela's but can't remember the name. Think maybe port clinton.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

I'm a big fan of Mount Rogers Outfitters in Damascus and Bluff Mountain Outfitters in Hot Springs.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

The Doyle. Pat and Vicki are top rate people, the food is excellent and I like being outfitted with a backpack full of beer- A gear buy that I never regret.

I also like the outfitter at NOC. They hooked me up and I felt like I was the only person in the place even though it was packed.
    wow i'm kinda shocked, a zoidfu comment that compliments someone? who knew such thing was possible??
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

Yea we had to hitch to it from the candy shop in PC. It isnt too far just on a really busy stretch of road. Its allgood

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Rockfish Gap Outfitters in Waynesboro by far. Excellent, too, with warranty issues.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++