WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Default Wind Chill and Stoves

Does wind chill effect the efficiency of an alcohol or canister stove? If so how?

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Does wind chill effect the efficiency of an alcohol or canister stove? If so how?
    Actually yes, wind chill can not only put your fire out, it can also ruin the seals on your stove. . . this problem is particularly troublesome the farther north you go and by the time you hit canadian air wind chill can make eating impossible. . .
    Good luck. . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Actually yes, wind chill can not only put your fire out, it can also ruin the seals on your stove. . . this problem is particularly troublesome the farther north you go and by the time you hit canadian air wind chill can make eating impossible. . .
    Good luck. . .
    would you advise me to hike south bound to avoid the troublesome canadian air that contributes to wind chill and avoid seal blowing?

thank you for the chart, i'll carry it with me

I would definitely be hiking south by the end of july, especially if starting the international AT in Gaspe - you'll avoid cooking issues and the seal blowing thing is really more of a canadian winter time thing . . .

so is wind chill a concern in the south?

so is wind chill a concern in the south?
    Well you don't really have to worry about blowing seals so much there but in the higher elevations the wind chill can still be dangerous. . . .

one question concerning the chart, how do i determine the wind speed? I have a nifty thermometer I carry for temps.

one question concerning the chart, how do i determine the wind speed? I have a nifty thermometer I carry for temps.
    First of all, a pesonal thermometer isn't the best indicator for outdoor temps, in the event for saving on weight you are only carrying an internal use thermometer. . . also, as the windchill starts to affect your thermometer it may become brittle and much more care should be taken if you feel you have a fever. . .
    As far as how bad the wind blows. . . . you could bring a pocket anemometer which then you use in concert with your chart, but remember that the wind chill factor can also play havoc with your anemometer and give you an inaccurate reading, so you may have to stick it some place warm if you feel your reading is incorrect. . . hope this helps. . .

Default This one's specific to Canadian wind chill

The wind chill there is entirely different than that of the lower 48 or anywhere else on the planet for that matter. . .

i have a low body temp of 96.9F so I need to keep the internal thermometer, my doctor advised to take it with me so i can monitor my body temp. I was talking about the thermometer for reading outdoor temps, it's always been accurate with in a degree or two.

you have been so helpful, thank you for the advice and i'll carry an extra seal in case a seal blow out occurs from wind chill

have a nice day and may you be blessed

this is not an issue unless you are trying to cook in the dead of winter in maine, possibly above treeline, or in the presidentials (above treeline) during a monster storm (which can occur in any month of the year).

if you've got an epic winter-time adventure planned, you might want to look into the issues a bit more, but for all intents and purposes, "wind chill" will not be any more of an issue than the general temperature, except for the fact that if you do not shield your stove, heat loss may be so great as to prevent your water from reaching boiling. If you are doing a winter adventure, an alcohol stove may not be the best option.. however, here are pictures of my use of an alcohol stove in winter time attached to this e-mail. Cold, windy, high elevation (5k-7k) = worked fine.

really unless you're planning some serious winter/alpine adventure.. the windchill levels you would need to worry about will mean you need to get out of them/find protection.. not about if your stove will work or not. but again, if you're doing serious winter stuff, the wind chill chart probably not bad to examine.

Peace be with you. . .

Images

Wind chill has nothing to do with stove efficiancy. It is a measure as to how cold one "feels" as a result of the wind blowing and removing the warmth that your body is creating. It removes the warmth faster than still air, causing you to feel colder.
    Your stove will not feel any colder. You will need to take preventative measures to block the wind around your stove, otherwise, you have reduced efficiency.

now onto blowing seals...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpuuAa7gdE.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

Wind chill can only cool down objects to the air temperature .
    Those charts are for breathing subjects (people and animals)
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    Wind chill has nothing to do with stove efficiancy. It is a measure as to how cold one "feels" as a result of the wind blowing and removing the warmth that your body is creating. It removes the warmth faster than still air, causing you to feel colder.
    Your stove will not feel any colder. You will need to take preventative measures to block the wind around your stove, otherwise, you have reduced efficiency.

now onto blowing seals...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OpuuAa7gdE.
    You are technically correct. It's a matter of semantics. WIND has a profound effect on stoves especially alcohol stoves. Since alcy stoves don't produce as many Btu's as cannister and liquid petroleum stoves, the wind steals a greater percentage of the heat produced when using an alcohol stoves. Windscreens are critical to alcohol stove efficiency (as well as Esbit fuel tabs) - moreso than most other types of stoves.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Agreed, it is not the wind chill that blows the seals.

For the record I'm Canadian and I don't blow seals, and the only seals on my stove are the ones I'm cooking for dinner or rendering into lamp oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolshed View Post
    i'm not trying to be rude, but how do you know, have you experience in this matter. i keep my fuel inside my bag at night to keep it warm, so why wouldn't wind chill effect my stove?

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    For the record I'm Canadian and I don't blow seals, and the only seals on my stove are the ones I'm cooking for dinner or rendering into lamp oil.
    this statement does not provide anything informative to this thread, please stay on topic.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++