WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Hiker Lost in Baxter car found from Penn.

Search initiated for missing hiker in Baxter park

By The Associated Press

BAXTER STATE PARK, Maine — The Maine Warden Service has initiated a search for a Pennsylvania man who was last heard from late last week before setting out to hike in Baxter State Park.
    Officials say the man, thought to be in his 40s, was reported to be planning to hike north of Abol Bridge.
    The man's pickup truck has been located along the Appalachian Trail, whose northern terminus is atop Mount Katahdin inside the park.
    Officials are seeking information from the public to assist in the search. They did not identify the man

Wonder if there is still snow up there? Hope they find him.

So no one here on WB knows who this might be?

Yes, higher elevations still have snow, but not much left on the ground. We had exceptionally low snow fall in March and April.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    So no one here on WB knows who this might be?
    Officials are seeking information from the public to assist in the search. They did not identify the man.
    Since his vehicle has been located, it might be reasonable to believe his identity is known to authorities. Maybe his name shouldn't appear here either until it is released by the warden's service.

I see your point Emerald. I was just thinking if someone on here had been talking about coming up to Maine in May and posting an itinerary or plans it might be useful. It's a fairly unusual time of year for someone to travel all the way from PA to day hike this area.
    AT02, LT 03-04, BMT05, NPT06, Haute Route07, Abol Ridgerunner 07/08, EBC Nepal trek 10

Images

Default Hiker found

His name and the circumstances surrounding his disappearance have already been published elsewhere. I didn't take the time to look for corroborating articles. Maybe someone can find another which provides more information.

http://readingeagle.com/article.aspx?id=137683
    Last edited by emerald; 05-08-2009 at 11:54. Reason: Substituted Reading Eagle link.

"weather problems led Meharg to abandon plans to climb Mount Katahdin and head south on the Appalachian Trail."

He was trying to start a SOBO???
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 05-07-2009 at 17:44. Reason: new info
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Images

Abandoned his pack AND his truck!!!

I´ve heard about high priced items being discarded along the trail out of frustration, etc., but a truck?????

Images

quick someone cut and paste all the post from the last hiker lost thread and save us all time. why not, lost hiker in the south lost hiker in the north. dejavu all over again.

Images

Glad he made it out and home. Saves us from 4 or 5 days of "lost hiker how could that be" . more to this story but really do we care why he went home and left behind stuff and didn't tell someone in maine he was going home.

Sounds like he didn't do much research about hiking in Maine on the AT.....like when BSP is actually open and how bad the fords are in May and that there is actually a new "high water" trail in the park. I can't believe he left his gear and truck...he must have been really disheartened by the experience and wanted to go home.

Images

Yo Emerald!

Next time your kin comes up to hike, let me know.

I could use a spare truck.

Images

Default mudhead

My truck is parked in my driveway where it should be. I''ve never met the person to whom you refer and we are not related.

That's just too damn funny, but I need more details

Images

Its shame this one didnt stay lost, wouldve been a favor to hikers (and the general population) everywhere.

what an idiot

http://www.wabi.tv/news/5807/warden-...says-no-search

When contacted, he denied the backpack was his.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

"The Warden Service said weather problems led Meharg to abandon plans to climb Mount Katahdin and head south on the Appalachian Trail. He then ended up on another part of the trail, fell into water and hurt himself.
    Officials say Meharg left the pack on the trail and made his way to a Millinocket hospital for treatment. He then took a cab to Bangor, rented a car and drove home."

Ok this guy left his expensive pack on the trail(too bad I didn't find it), left his truck, rented a car and drove it home? *** this sounds fish! He must have hit his head or something.

Darwin Award nominee?

Apparently dad had purchased said pack and equip. and he didn't want him to know he left it all behind! Yard sale in Millinocket??

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++