WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default interesting bear raid

I had a chance to stay on top of Mt. Sterling last night close to the tower. It was very windy but not as cold as I expected. Anyhow, a couple of hikers that camped in the next site over had their packs (they were tied together) drug down the trail. The bear (which probably smelled the gatoraid that once was in the bottle) bit into the bottle and was able to puncture the nalgene (pretty impressive).

At the horse tie up stand there were gas cans (probably full of water) and several bags of cement. The bear tore into bags drug them around the woods and punctured through the plastic gas cans.

We hiked out with the other hikers and reported the incident.

I wonder how much bear activity goes on at each site? This was my second trip to the Smokies and the second incident with wild animals.

Be safe out there.

Formerly "Totem"
    Images

Thanks for letting us know, we'll get right on it...

http://funnypicturesabout.com/wp-con...ranimals-1.jpg
    up over the hills, theres nothing to fear
    theres a pub across the way with whisky and beer
    its a lengthy journey on the way up to the top
    but it ain't so bad if you have a great big bottle o'scotch

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post

I'm LMAO Totem
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post

nope not funny. When I was a youngster in college I was just about this close:|| to being mauled by a black bear and through no fault of my own I just happened to step out from the green briar at exactly the wrong time between mom and cub. We had the old Mexican stand off for about a minute--seemed some where between an hour and a lifetime--I had to clean out my shorts afterwards...I still can't stand the sght of a bear. I'm lucky to be here really but any way have fun while you can!! honestly I can't stand bear to this day it;s the only land animal I fear--not even the IRS or FBI at my door rattle me as much as a bear on TV.....it sucks.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

The IRS might have cleaned your shorts for you

Images

Bears like plastic. When I was on trail crew in the Smokies, a bear got some of our water bottles and shin guards.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

So youy were between a mom and her cubs and you were not attacked? so I guess that helps to dispell the "getting between a black bear and her cubs" myth. Yes this holds true for grizzlies but not for black bears. they are just interested in your food. That motherly instinct is absent in black bears. Also, I have heard of many hikers carrying bear spray on the AT. Can someone anyone provide an example of bearspray being used on a bear on the AT? Anyone?

If it was up to the IRS you wouldn't have any shorts to crap in in the first place. Given the choice I prefer the bear.

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    So youy were between a mom and her cubs and you were not attacked? so I guess that helps to dispell the "getting between a black bear and her cubs" myth. Yes this holds true for grizzlies but not for black bears. they are just interested in your food. That motherly instinct is absent in black bears. Also, I have heard of many hikers carrying bear spray on the AT. Can someone anyone provide an example of bearspray being used on a bear on the AT? Anyone?
    I have this. Its 10% pepper concentrate whereas the stuff you buy at the outfitter is 1-2% pepper concentrate. It also has tear gas with it. Its only good for 10-12 ft. It's alot lighter than the outfitters too. It weighs 2.3 oz. I also read a study that 50% of the people who used guns to deter a bear were attacked whereas 0% of people who used pepper spray to deter a bear were attacked.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLightTrek View Post
    I have this. Its 10% pepper concentrate whereas the stuff you buy at the outfitter is 1-2% pepper concentrate. It also has tear gas with it. Its only good for 10-12 ft. It's alot lighter than the outfitters too. It weighs 2.3 oz. I also read a study that 50% of the people who used guns to deter a bear were attacked whereas 0% of people who used pepper spray to deter a bear were attacked.
    I'd like to see that study.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SlowLightTrek View Post
    http://www.absc.usgs.gov/research/br...epperspray.htm

About half way down the page there is a comparison between pepper spray and firearms on Alaskan brown bears.

The guys I helped search for their packs... they told me a story about a group they ran into at site 37. One of the hikers sprayed himself with bearspray thinking it would act like bug spray.

bwhahahahaha!

So youy were between a mom and her cubs and you were not attacked? so I guess that helps to dispell the "getting between a black bear and her cubs" myth.
    It would be great if that myth was dispelled, but people just flat out love to be scared. If there were no bears they would find something else. Funny thing but no one is scared of the real danger, investment bankers or "advisors". Give up your life working and they take the money. I'll take bears anytime.

Images

... so I guess that helps to dispell the "getting between a black bear and her cubs" myth. Yes this holds true for grizzlies but not for black bears. they are just interested in your food. That motherly instinct is absent in black bears. ...
    "myth"?? Yes and no. The state wildlife people here routinely weigh and tag bear cubs. They gave a slide show here and it does look like this is not a certain recipe for attack of the "myth". On the other hand, it's not a stupid thing to do, if you can avoid it. Black bears do have a 'motherly instinct'. At the very least, it makes the encounter stressful for the bears. At worst, animals are not completely predictable.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    ...it's not a stupid thing to do, if you can avoid it.
    TYPO: that should read 'It IS a stupid thing to do, if you can avoid it.

Images

Bear's are no joke specially black bears they are more likly to attack than grizzlies,i've shot a Sow Unfortuntly with my four sixty as it charged the second time,I walked between its two cubs by acciedent ,the first charge was bluff and the secong well i didnt take that chance and unloaded 6 shots into its chest and then had to call the state police.I am still sad about that to this day
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

That motherly instinct is absent in black bears.
    On most occasions when I have encountered a sow with cubs, mom orders the youngsters up a tree at the first sign of pending danger.

Images

I don't mind bears but i really dont wanna be raided or mauled,i always have bear spray
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sliderule View Post
    On most occasions when I have encountered a sow with cubs, mom orders the youngsters up a tree at the first sign of pending danger.
    That's exactly what the State Wildlife slides showed.
    AlaskanHiker: Bear spray is definitely overkill on the AT and in the East. Bear canisters are required in parts of the Adirondacks. Maybe in parts of eastern Canada bear spray makes sense. [JAK or other Canadians care to comment?]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++