WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Default What does everyone do for a "living"

It seems many of you here are out on trips all the time. I was wondering what everyone does for a living that allows them to be trekking all-the-time.

Like "fiddlehead"...he has been all over the world and has done some of the most awesome trails in the world. Tipi....he seems to be out ALL THE TIME.

And for you career/family/with kids people out there. How many nights do you spend on any trail in a given year.

I am divorced and have a son(who likes to hike). I pay a too damn much in child support($400) p/month. I work a ****ty job with the absolute ****tiest hours making a silly $13 an hour. I find myself in a funk with a serious case of wanderlust. It is time for a job/career change!
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

2010 complete

work hard; play hard. took a long break to raise kids. recently returned to trail. hoping to finish soon. been attempting to complete trail since 1979. I initially moved south to hike the southern section on weekends, holidays and vacations. Spent many an Easter in the woods, even with the kids. Had to pack in easter bunnies and baskets.

professional job

I worked hard in my "younger years" (from teenager to 38 years old)
    Bought a house, fixed it up (working till 11 pm every night) and sold it to buy another one, fixed it up too, paid it off, got divorced, started traveling. (paid off the ex to keep the place)
    Once i started traveling, i rented it out, so that's some income.
    Then i started a business selling long underwear and transposed it to an e-commerce business in the 90s.
    In the meantime, I did many things for money to hike: selling jewelry, playing music, teaching guitar, DJ'ing, carpentry work (was a carpenter for 20 years), roofing, cement finisher.
    Presently, I'm still making money in the music business and my e-commerce website, as well as building websites for people, advertising online for people selling and renting homes here in Phuket, making videos for the school my son is enrolled in for a deal in the tuition, installed a kitchen last year, etc. etc. etc.

In other words, whatever it takes to make money. I'll do (and have done) just about anything. Hiking has taught me lots and one of the things is that you can do anything once you put your mind to it. If that means selling jewelry on a college campus lawn on beautiful days, hey, i can do that.

But, having a kid sure changes my priorities. And life is priorities.
    It used to be hiking. (and i've done my share)
    Now, fatherhood is somewhat tougher i think although they are both lots of fun at times and very challenging at times.
    I'm looking forward to the day when i can do both.

One rule i've always had: Never go in debt. (except for my first car in 1967 and my 2 homes, i never have and hope i never will again.) I learned the law of compounding interest a long time ago and try to stay on the positive side of THAT.
    Rule #2: Don't pay for a night's stay in a hotel or similar if you have a choice. (stealth camping in towns in Europe has found me in many strange circumstances already)

Basically: Live well beneath your means and be willing to do anything to fuel your passion.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Registered Nurse and Registered Respiratory Therapist/Respiratory Care Practitioner. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week and I self-schedule the days I want to work. Gives me plenty of time to get out and do the things I want to.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Images

Construction management. Work & family limits me to <20 nights per year on the trail, but I get in a lot of DIIADs
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

by the way egads...I was checking out your pics! Love the one of the wifey and the girls! I bet that one is on your "desk", and I bet it brings a smile to your face every time you look at it!

Fiddlehead, you and I have kinda talked about this before. And yes kids definitley change the logistics of hiking. I still havent been able to get him out for even an overnighter yet !! We have done a couple day hikes this year. Thanks for the input.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Garlic
    Images

I'm self-unemployed.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

There is another I forgot to mention....Garlic.....How in the hell do you survive. Do you just work to...save money to.....not work.... and hike. Or are u secretly independantly wealthy, come upon some money?

Retired. Comfortably well off.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speer Carrier View Post
    Retired. Comfortably well off.
    LOL....U love rubbin that in dont ya!!!!

Full time slacker since 2003.

Paramedic. 20-40 nights / year.

geek

Images

I work at a Medical Examiner's Office (yes the city morgue) and please do not believe the hollywood antics on CSI, etc, to be truly how things are done. Although love the shows it is hollywood not reality. It is definitely not that glamourous.

Images

I'm teaching high school math which gets me off at Easter and Christmas and Summers.

I used to like it, but I absolutely hate it now. I just plod through to get to the weekend.

I really need to change something.
    Lemni Skate away

The trail will save my life

Images

SUmmer-CNA,Graphic Artist-WInter-Oil/Gas Tech,North Slope Alaska
    Now shall I walk or shall I ride?
    "Ride," Pleasure said:
    "Walk," Joy replied.
    ~W.H. Davies-

Images

Part owner in a newspaper called Jailbirds. And I work for UPS

Retired Navy, missile/gun technician. Haven't worked since I retired in 2005, but I've been thinking about getting a job, considering contract work overseas.

Retired from GE at the end of 2001. Draw my SS and have a limited consulting business which takes me to many interesting places. Presently have projects lined up in Charlottesville, VA, Chicago, Portland, OR and Edmondton, Alberta, and I plan to return to ME in July to finish the AT.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Chief technology officer for a teleradiology company, which keeps me on the road and pretty busy. I backpacked a lot in the 70's, then moved out to Michigan where night school, work, house, and family pretty much took up my time but I never forgot about being out for days or weeks at a time. I chose to finish the AT as a life goal back in 2000 and continue to chip away a week a year, but unfortunately I haven't been able to interest my daughter or wife to join me.

I wholeheartedly agree with fiddlehead's suggestion to live beneath your means; it makes it a lot easier to live your life if you don't get into a hole in the first place.

Note that there are a number of healthcare professionals who have posted. Nurses are in increasingly high demand, and while the pay level is not always where it should be, you can typically get a job in any part of the country. I think that if I had it to do all over again I'd go into physical therapy.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    There is another I forgot to mention....Garlic.....How in the hell do you survive. Do you just work to...save money to.....not work.... and hike. Or are u secretly independantly wealthy, come upon some money?
    No, I didn't invent Google or anything, just worked hard for 25 years at everything from rodding sewers to electrical engineer to firefighter. Early retirement (age 40), most self-funded. Got a small pension from a fire department, and big savings from an engineering career that I worked hard at not spending. I live in a small paid-for house, don't have a car, cellphone, or cable bill, have a fantastic thru hiker wife (GreasePot, AT '02, PCT '04), take cheap trips ($3000 AT thru last year), live well and simply and stay active and healthy.

It's un-American, I know, but the best thing I ever did was to stay out of debt. I've never made a car payment, made less than 60 mortgage payments before paying off the house. It can be done. It's easier than a thru hike, in my opinion.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++