WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Question

Default Question

Ok, so I've been reading on here for a while and decided to switch to a hammock

But I do have a question that I haven't been able to find anywhere on this forum. Where do you keep your pack at night when it's raining out?

Underneath the hammock which is under a tarp ( I have an OES ultra and the JRB large tarp, both of which are more than adequate, used individually of course, depending on time of year). MUCH more covered area than a tent would have. I also carry a small piece of sil nylon that goes on the ground underneath the hammock, that way I can sit there and stay dry, and use it to keep the interior of my hammock clean too.

Images

There seem to be 3 popular methods:
    1) put it in its rain cover and lay it on its front, so any rain run-off that comes under the hammock won't get it wet (also helps to tie a dog under your hammock to keep the ground critters at bay!)
    2) hang the pack from the hammock line, underneath the tarp
    3) bring it, empty, into your hammock with you and put it under your legs / knees

If you don't hike with a dog, and don't hang your food, 1 could result in pack being chewed through by little ground critters or being drug off by the bigger variety.....

I do a combo of 1 and 2....usually 2..... (and I usually hang my food)
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Default Cover it with my poncho

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    There seem to be 3 popular methods:
    1) put it in its rain cover and lay it on its front, so any rain run-off that comes under the hammock won't get it wet (also helps to tie a dog under your hammock to keep the ground critters at bay!)
    2) hang the pack from the hammock line, underneath the tarp
    3) bring it, empty, into your hammock with you and put it under your legs / knees

If you don't hike with a dog, and don't hang your food, 1 could result in pack being chewed through by little ground critters or being drug off by the bigger variety.....

I do a combo of 1 and 2....usually 2..... (and I usually hang my food)
    I remove all food from the pack, cover it with my poncho and lean it against a tree. I sometimes tie it to the tree with a parachute cord.
    Shutterbug

Teddy Bear in a hammock HikerRanky's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DylanD View Post
    Ok, so I've been reading on here for a while and decided to switch to a hammock

But I do have a question that I haven't been able to find anywhere on this forum. Where do you keep your pack at night when it's raining out?
    Personally, I use a gear hammock that also serves as the pack rain cover when hiking.... I hang it from a hammock suspension line and it works great!

Randy

Images

When I'm near a shelter, I just hang it in there with everyone elses... But if I'm out away from shelters, I use a garbage bag to keep it dry under my tarp/hammock.

I always hang my food (being in Jersey and all) and put my pack cover on my pack and lean it up against a tree/hang it on a branch. No problems so far.

Images

ask the ones that know http://www.hammockforums.net/?
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

++ New Posts ++