WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I would add the Outhouse in Unionville, N.Y. formerly known as the Mayor's House. The folks there are the best. This year the secret shelter apparently is not operating, making Unionville even more attractive.

2010 complete

I consider my hike through easter NY a deli hike. Although, I carried food for 75 miles, each morning we managed to cross a road and hike within a mile to the closest deli for coffee and breakfast. oh the memories.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Must see/ Stops

I just have to put a plug in for the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. Such a great stop. It's a inclosed cabin with a nice front porch, sleeping quaters on the second floor with nice bunks with matresses. On most mornings the resident caretaker will make pancakes and coffee for you.
    It's located on a beautiful pond with swimming and a canoe.
    The bad part is that it's .5 from the trail but the good part is that they don't charge you anything to stay.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I consider my hike through easter NY a deli hike. Although, I carried food for 75 miles, each morning we managed to cross a road and hike within a mile to the closest deli for coffee and breakfast. oh the memories.
    That's eastern New York (missed a keystroke).
    Yes, the terminology is already being applied to that section (I'm currently doing my sections there), and it is very fitting. It would be easy to hike with only snacks in your pack, stopping at a deli for lunch and picking up a big sandwich for dinner. Not very cost effective, though .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Grampie View Post
    I just have to put a plug in for the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. Such a great stop. It's a inclosed cabin with a nice front porch, sleeping quaters on the second floor with nice bunks with matresses. On most mornings the resident caretaker will make pancakes and coffee for you.
    It's located on a beautiful pond with swimming and a canoe.
    The bad part is that it's .5 from the trail but the good part is that they don't charge you anything to stay.
    It's a very easy .5 from the AT, much as Whitehouse Landing's side trail is, but even easier. Nice porch on cabin with a loft for sleeping. Very nice, though I used my hammock out back there.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

you should probably just get off the trail and go to asheville, nc for several days and brewpub it up!!

Images

Climbing every firetower (still standing). Regret not hiking the sidetrail to the Shuckstack firetower.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    Ice cream, pb. Pine Grove Furnace State Park, Pennsylvania.

Click take me back to 2006 for a post of mine linking a trailjournals.com entry and photos.

Hey ATSENT,

Hopefully the grocery store @ PINE FURNACE will be OPEN when you hike thru for the 1/2 GALLON CHALLENGE...it wasnt OPEN in MAY...

LOTS of "EARLYBIRDS" were PISSSSSSSED!

ALSO...if you're looking for a place to crash & get away from the TRAIL for a NIGHT or two (or more) a new "HIKER FRIENDLY" B&B just outside BOILING SPRINGS has just opened...RED CARDINAL B&B...good people.
    see ya'll UP the trail!

"Jaybird"

GA-ME...
    "on-the-20-year-plan"

www.trailjournals.com/Jaybird2013

Images

let's see...

the bird cage in daulton, ma
    caratunk, me has a brewery and hot tub combo!
    unionville, ny
    mt. rogers
    mt. camerrer in the smokies
    yeungling brewery tour if you can get to it from port clinton
    dot's inn, damascus
    i blue blazed down from the bigelows to flagstaff lake in maine and it was AWESOME!
    i liked bennington, ct
    great barrington, ma is nice
    dragon's tooth
    definitely check out the spring in boiling springs, pa

there are others...i can't think of them all...do everything and anything and you will not be disappointed...have fun!
    Check out my website: www.serialhiking.com

Journal Entries

My limitted 300 miles or so, but so my favorite spot was the crossing into ny from nj, on those rocks for 3 or 4 miles, very challenging, but very beautiful. Some good scrambles.
    Upper goose pond cabin was also a highlight for me. I might try to hook up the game supper on top of greylock if I ever go that way again.

My least favorite was st johns ledges, it took too long to descend and I was tired.

Images

I'll second what's been mentioned and add.

Wood's Hole, Rusty's, Greasy Creek Friendly, The Doyle, The Barn in Gorham and just about every blue blaze along the way...

Zero's are sweet and give your body a chance to rest but if you plan them out with a group of hiking buddies a day or two before you hit town you can have all sorts of fun. If everybody chips in...you can split a shuttle or rent a car..There are all sorts of side trips close to the AT.
    Zero days doing nothing in town are nice..and most of the towns have things to see and do.
    "Going to the woods is going home" - John Muir

"Only by going alone in silence, without baggage, can one truely get into the heart of the wilderness" - John Muir

Unless I missed it.....

Noone put down Elmer's in Hot Springs? Must stop.

Any pond in Maine for swimming, too. The Kettles at Little Bigelow Shelter (pools in a nearby stream) are very interesting and refreshing, too. Don't rush through Maine to finish. I met thruhikers who were so focused on finishing that they rushed by many fine campsites just to make miles. The former Antlers campsite was a wonderful spot in the Hundred Mile Wilderness.
    Cooper Brook Falls is another place (I would've stayed there but it was pretty full - wonderful swimming pool in the stream right in front of the shelter. Dive in off the rocks. Cool!
    Last edited by Tinker; 10-31-2009 at 22:46. Reason: added paragraph

Can anyone give me a appoximate location to the Blue Blaze Trail down to Crabtree Falls? Maybe what Shelters this trail is between.

Thanky

I would add Hanover, NH as one of the must-see, must-stop places on the Trail.

After all, everyone agrees on how friendly a place it is!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mrhughes1982 View Post
    Can anyone give me a appoximate location to the Blue Blaze Trail down to Crabtree Falls? Maybe what Shelters this trail is between.

Thanky
    Check with the folks at Dutch Haus. Here is their website:

http://www.dutchhaus.com/atthru.htm

Blood Mountain Shelter on the summit of Blood Mountain, Ga
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Images

The Homestead Restaurant for dinner of course! Hwy 311 in VA between McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth. Plus you can camp in their yard after you have eaten so much that you can't walk back to the trail. Only open Thur-Sun.

Images

Gulf Hagas- Maine
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by waldick View Post
    Blood Mountain Shelter on the summit of Blood Mountain, Ga
    Kinda hard to miss that one unless you blue blaze via Freeman.....
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++