WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    Kinda hard to miss that one unless you blue blaze via Freeman.....
    or the fog is so thick that you almost walk right by...

in which case the view is not that great
    "My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, totally worn out, proclaiming: What a Ride!"

Images

"Mt. Cammerer in the Smokies. 1.2-mile, mostly level side trip. If the weather is good the views and the old stone firetower are well worth it."

I agree!! I did not want to walk the .6 to the tower, but it was one of the best views I had. Right before leaving the Smokies. Gorgeous. Not a lot of people want to take the extra walk, but it's worth it.

Section Hiker

The best meal I've had on the trail was at the Old South Mountain Inn in Marlyland (adjacent to Dahlgren campground). It's a little pricey but well worth it. Second best was the Home Place in Catawba, Va.

In SOBO order.....

The deli at Unionville
    The church in Vernon, NJ. Great shower, laundry, and plenty of restaurants.
    The Doyle. Cheesesteak, fries, and Yuengling.
    Blackberry shakes in SNP
    The Dutch Haus
    McAfee Knob - especially if you get there during peak color season. And of course The Homeplace after you reach the bottom.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thumbs up Must See Stops

Before I did my thru in 2001 I purchased the Thru-Hiker's Handbook by Wingfoot.
    I spent a lot of time reading it from front to back. Every mile of the way he describes places of interest and special places and towns along the trail.
    When I started to hike I had visions, in my head, of the places he described and couldn't wait to give them a visit. They included:Neels Gap Walasi-Yi Center, Goose Creak Cabins, Blueberry Patch, Albert Mt. Fire tower, Siler Bald, Fontana Hilton, Newfound Gap, Gatlinberg, Standing Bear Farm, Max Patch, Hot Springs, Hot Springs Spa for a hot tub, Shelton Graves, Big Bald, Uncle Jonney's, Roan Highlands, Overmountain Shelter, Elk Park, Times Squair Motel, Laural Creek Campgrounds, Watauga Dam, Grindstaff Monument, Damascus, The Place, Trail Days, Thomas Knob Shelter, Grayson Highlands, Wild Poneys, Partnership Shelter, Village Motel, Adkins, Bland, Angles Rest, Pearisburg, Rendezous Motel, The New River Bridge, Keffer Oak, Saver Cabin, Dragons Tooth, Catawba, Four Pines Hostel, McAfee Knob, Tinker Clifs, Dalevill, Apple Orchard Mt., Glascow, Write Place Motel, Punchbole Shelter, Pedlar Dam, Spy Rock, Rusty's, Waynsbora "Y", Weasie's Kitchen, Shenandoah park, Loft Mountain Campgroung, Big Meadow, Blueberry Milkshakes Mary"s Rock, Elkhallow Wayside, $1.50 beers, Front Royal, National Zoo Park, Jim & Molly Denton Shelter, Dick's Dome, Bear's Den Rocks, Blackburn Center, Harpers Ferry, AT Headquaters for picture, C&O Canal Ed Grvey Shelter, Gathland Park, Weverton Cliffs, Dahlgren Backpackers Camping Area, Washington Monument, Pen Mar Park, Mason-Dixon Line, Caledonia Park, Pine Grove Park, Iron Masters Hostel, 1/2 Gal Ice cream, Halfway Point, White Rock Ridge, Boiling Spring, Duncannon, Doyle Hotel, 501 Shelter, Port Clinton Hotel, The Pinnacle, Lehigh Gap, Palmerton, Jail Hostel, Delaware water Gap, Church of the Mountain HostelSunfish Pond, Carvers Gap, Worthington Bakery, Jim Murrey Shelter, Wallkill Wildlife Area, Vernon, Podunk board walk, Arden, NY, Tuxedo Motel, Lemon Squeeze, Bear Mountain, Zoo, Hudson River, Graymoor Center, RPH Shelter, Nuclear Lake, AT railroad Station,Bulls Bridge, St. John's Ledges, Great Falls on the Houstonic River, Bear Mountain, Sages Revine, Great Barrington, Fruit stand on rt. 7, Upper Goose Pond Cabin, Cookie Lady, Dalton, Mt. Graylock, Bennington, VT, Stratton Mountain, Stratton Pond, Manchester, Bromley Ski Area, Whistle Stop Resturant on RT103, Inn at the Longtrail, Red Barn on Rt12, Conn. River, Hanover, NH, Smarts, Mt. firetower, Glencliff, Hikers Welcome, Mt. Moosilauke, N.Woodstock, Cascade Lodge, Franconia Ridge, Lake of the Clouds Hut, Mt. Washington, Madison Springs Hut, Gorham, NH , Hikers Paradise, Maine Border, Mahoosuc Notch, Andover Guest House, Rangeley, ME, Gull Pond Hostel, Sugarloaf Mt. ,Stratton Motel, Kennebec River, Shaws, 100 mile wilderness, White House Landing, Abol Bridge, Baxter Park and Katahdin.
    I saw a lot and did a lot. Missed some nice places that I wished I had visited. I did not mention all the great people that I met and will long remember.
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Grampie,

You need to do another thruhike!!!!!

Images

Default Pennsylvania - recommendations

I'd take the time to visit Hawk Mountain Sanctuary, Deitsch Eck, and even Ned Smith Center, but realize each requires more effort to get there than the destination before it. Should you make the effort to visit Deitsch Eck, order yourself some shoofly pie. Most places out of the ordinary require venturing beyond the Interstate.

I'd also linger at Kimmel Lookout, Pilger Ruh, Schuberts Gap, Rentschler Marker, Reading and Northern's rail yard, Port Clinton Hotel and Dan's Pulpit all of which are right on or a few steps from the beaten path and offer a more meaningful experience to hikers who know something about the historical significance them.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    I'd take the time to visit * * * even Ned Smith Center
    Might have to explain this one. Although I do note they are having a Bigfoot Film Festival the same weekend as the PA Ruck - not exactly thru-hiker season.

Quote Originally Posted by J5man View Post
    The Homestead Restaurant for dinner of course! Hwy 311 in VA between McAfee's Knob and Dragon's Tooth. Plus you can camp in their yard after you have eaten so much that you can't walk back to the trail. Only open Thur-Sun.

It's THE HOMEPLACE , not The Homestead.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    Might have to explain this one. Although I do note they are having a Bigfoot Film Festival the same weekend as the PA Ruck - not exactly thru-hiker season.
    Hadn't noticed that one on their schedule and I can't say I'd beg a ride for it. Guess they must have been trying to attract someone else.

There's more often than not something going on that appeals to me.

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Annother Thru-Hike

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    Grampie,

You need to do another thruhike!!!!!
    Every now and than I do one...Only in my mind.
    Grampie-N->2001

this is great topic. keep em coming!

Images

Great thread!

Hoping to get back on AT for a while in GA & NC. Has anyone hiked to Brrasstown Bald from the AT? GA High Point. Looks like about 10 mile round trip

Default my 2 cents

i hiked north so i dont know what the places will be like when you go south... however i find myself talking about a few places more than others. here is about 1 per state.... Maine is AMAZING, breakfast at shaws in monson, the pizza place in Hanover NH, mountain meadow lodge VT, long trail inn bar (i wouldnt stay again) VT, Birdcage in dalton MA, vanessa's place in Salisbury CT, pizza and brew in Kent CT, (the mayors in unionville is closed) ice cream in Jersey's parlors, port clinton PA fire house, harpers ferry has soft serve ice cream, damascus is incredible, kinkora VA, mountain harbor roan TN, smokey mountain diner in hotsprings NC, blueberry patch hiawassee GA, hiker hostel 20m mark.
    "some rise, some fall, SOME CLIMB to get to Terrapin"

Journal Entries
    Images

As a SOBO your timing might be perfect to visit here:

http://www.hawkmountain.org/Raptor_M...p#best%20dates

Sure you can see raptors from any ridge along the trail, but if you spend some time with the hawk watchers that will surely be out in September and October, I think one might have their eyes opened to a great deal of what they may have been missing.

Although you hardly ever here of a hiker stopping here, I think a quick detour to this art museum would be a fantastic detour in the middle of a thru hike.

http://www.clarkart.edu/

It is in the town of Williamstown, MA just before you climb up Mount Greylock. Their collection of French Impressionist paintings is spectacular, and would be a real trip to view after being in the woods for so many weeks, for some. In any event the museum is literally world-class.

Images

Also for SOBO's this year...The Gathering is in North Adams, MA October 7th thru 9th.

This year NOBO's coming off Katahdin at that time are encouraged to come to The Gathering as honored guests. The ATC will be there to award certificates and patches to those who just completed their 2000 mile hike.

http://www.aldha.org/gathring.htm
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Charlies Bunyon.

Any blueblaze or side to trail to a view (most are 0.5 mi or less) when the weather is right, is a must-see stop.

1811 miles and counting!
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DEHiker View Post
    The best meal I've had on the trail was at the Old South Mountain Inn in Marlyland (adjacent to Dahlgren campground). It's a little pricey but well worth it. Second best was the Home Place in Catawba, Va.
    I'll second this one.

woods hole near pearisburg Va

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++