WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Images

While not exactly on the AT and not neccesarily a must see, President Hoover's Retreat in Shenandoah National Park is worth the blueblaze trail to see it.

Rapidan Camp is where Herbert Hoover and first lady came for relaxation during his days in the White House. President Hoover was an avid fisherman and enjoyed the great outdoors and immersing himself in nature and it's beauty. Hoover's Retreat has been designated a national historic landmark.

Of the three buildings still in existence, the Brown House is the only one that has been fully restored inside and outside.

The side trail leading to the camp starts from the AT at Milam Gap at mile 53, 3 miles south of Big Meadows. Take the Mill Prong Trail blueblaze trail for a 4 mile out-n-back hike to a piece of american history.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries

This is one of the reasons I prefer segment hiking over thru hiking. My time on the trail is precious. I want to see everything. I take pictures and don't want to miss the great landmarks and views. So I continue where I left off and watch the weather to keep from missing views because of days of fog. I add my comments and pictures to my journal to pass to anyone who is interested especially my grandkids. I'm now moving into NC, so happy hiking. Leaving Thursday from Dick's Creek to Fontana, Smokies will come later in the summer. Happy hiking

Journal Entries
    Images

One of the best stops on the AT, in my estimation, is the cabin at Upper Goose Pond. It offers; bunks in a closed cabin, pancake and coffee breakfast, beautiful pond to swim in, spring water delivered to you and a canoe for thru-hikers to use. Some hikers don't want to travel the .5 miles off the trail to get to the cabin, but it's well worth it. The best part is that it's free. Donations are excepted.
    Grampie-N->2001

Journal Entries

Is there better scenery anywhere than Blood Mtn in Ga. It is absolutely beautiful on a nice day.

Images

There is a section in the southern half of the GSMNP...I think Gregory Bald that I feel puts Blood Mt at the bottom of the heap for views...not to mention the Whites and various other locations. The trail is loaded with great vistas

Default Must-sees/stops on the AT?

On my southern section hike, GA to VA I caught a ride to Mt Mitchel in Pisgah National Forest, NC. Highest point on the east coast also it is near Asheville, NC, great town. I also second the Mt. Rogers recommendation.

Levardi's, Upper Goose Pond, Green Mountain Hostel, and White Mountains Lodge & Hostel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++