WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default MD Day Hike - Gathland to C&O

I'm trying to take a 3 kids on an overnight trip this weekend - and I can't find a copy of the AT trail guide anywhere locally. Does anyone know the distance along the AT between the following points:

Gathland State Park (MD) to the Ed Garvey Shelter

Ed Garvey Shelter to Weverton Cliffs

Weverton Cliffs to the C&O Canal

ps: I think the Ed Garvey Shelter is the 2 story one with the big loft. If not, please use the two story shelter for the mileage above.

Also, our normal dayhiking speed with the kids is generally 2.5 mph along the South Mtn ridge north in the Gathland Arch, Washington Monument, Annapolis Rock area. So, I'm thinking 2 mph's with overnight packs would be a good estimate for planning appropriate distances. Anyone disagree ? Also, what mph should I use for the Weverton Cliffs to C&O section (how steep is it) ?

Thanks.

Images

you can go here and get the information http://bp2.trimbleoutdoors.com/ViewT...x?tripId=47407

10.4-miler
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Default Mileage

Thanks for the link. Is there a way to convert the lat/long or UTM coordinates of the waypoints to distance between points ?

Default Distances

Does anyone have distances ? The map at the link above has GPS waypoints, but no map scale - so I don't see a way to estimate distances. Leaving tomorrow mid-morning, so any help would be much appreciated.

++ New Posts ++