WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Happy Hill Shelter

It is any easy 3.5 miles to the paved roads that lead to Hanover, Northbound, and an easy hike to the paved road (Podunk Rd.) a mile or so from the country store in West Harford, Southbound. You cannot stand up beneath the loft in the shelter, but it is a neat stone building.
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54902662KYtwmy
    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...54902873eYvoms

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

Default Happy Hill

I stopped there on my thru last year and experienced some of the worst mosquitoes on the entire trail. Guess it was all the moisture we had in 2003. I had all to do to sign the shelter register and skidaddel.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Images

Ditto to what Slogger said. The shelter and surrounding area is beautiful but I had just enough patience to scribble my name in the book and move on to hanover. I was there june 21st, probably 2 months or more before Slogger, so I suspect this is a bad bug spot all season long.

Had a great autumn day hike up to the shelter frmo Hanover on friday of the Gathering 03', had the trail to myself.
    Anything's within walking distance if you've got the time.
    GA-ME 03, LT 04/06, PCT 07'

Funny, that's why I remember that shelter too - the mosquitoes! I thought we would have the shelter to ourselves, but the bugs chased us into the tent. I think that night was the fastest I ever set up a tent!

Also, the water source was dried up. Luckily I just came from West Hartford, and was heading into Hanover the next day, so we didn't need water (although it would have been nice).

-Tank

Section hiker 733 AT miles poison_ivy's Avatar

The mosquitos are pretty bad this year too. I stopped by the shelter on a dayhike a couple of weeks ago and we were absolutely swarmed.

- Ivy

AT 2012

...Wondering if Podunk Brook, to the south of Happy Hill Shelter, would be less of a mosquito issue... or is it just plain bad in that whole area? and, say Mink Brook, south of the Moose Mountain shelter? I've generally been a three-season hiker -- leaving out the bug season, but will be through here late June and havent a clue about mosquitos. Oh, and while I'm asking, how many ounces of deep woods off does one carry for a day? If you tell me quarts or gallons I'll know you're teasing me. And I'll still probably believe you.
    Lazarus

Images

The bugs were terrible and the log entries said the mice were bad as well. Water source is dry. in other words, if nobo, take a shorter day at thistle hill or press on to hanover

Spanky MEPA '02, MEGA '08 spanky's Avatar

Funny thing... I got caught in a tropical storm in '08 and I was as happy as a lark to make it to Happy Hill Shelter!

Shelter in good shape in July 2010. Bugs not intolerable, but it was a dry summer (so far). Had to go up stream a bit to find water. A bear was reported in the area, but I saw no sign of it. Plenty of tentsites, some fairly far from the shelter.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++