WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Trek Through to the True End of the Appalachian Mountains

I am interested in hiking the Appalachian Trail from beginning to end, and continuing on the additional 520 miles on the International Appalachian Trail to Cape Gaspi in Quebec, for a total of 2688 miles.

the only thing stopping my is $6K in credit card diet, once that's paid I want to save a naff money for the hike and to find out what I want to do with the rest of the life.

I have 11 brothers and sisters, so I donut think I will have trouble finding a place to stay when I get back.

I have 2 questions

Can you hike into Canada with no hassle?
    Is the International Appalachian trail open to Americas?

Images

you now need a passport to legaly get into canada

Quote Originally Posted by bluffhead View Post
    you now need a passport to legaly get into canada
    Technically you need one to reenter the US. Since the Canadians don't want you to stay forever, they check it entering there. Cost about $100. Your state may have a secure ID substitute.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Technically you need one to reenter the US. Since the Canadians don't want you to stay forever, they check it entering there. Cost about $100. Your state may have a secure ID substitute.
    Not any more. As of June 1, you need a passport (or a passport card) to cross the border to and from Canada. And Mexico.
    Frosty

Default Longer trip than you may have expected.

In terms of the Appalachian Mountains (not AT) the true beginning is supposed to be in Africa, the true end in Scotland. Sounds like a lot of extra miles to me. Anyway, here's and excerpt I found explaining this.

"Because North America and Africa were connected, the Appalachians form part of the same mountain chain as the Anti-Atlas in Morocco. To the northeast, the same mountain chain continues into Scotland, from the North America/Europe collision"

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    In terms of the Appalachian Mountains (not AT) the true beginning is supposed to be in Africa, the true end in Scotland. Sounds like a lot of extra miles to me. Anyway, here's and excerpt I found explaining this.

"Because North America and Africa were connected, the Appalachians form part of the same mountain chain as the Anti-Atlas in Morocco. To the northeast, the same mountain chain continues into Scotland, from the North America/Europe collision"
    Damn Sassy, you stole my thunder. . . . Nice Work!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Not any more. As of June 1, you need a passport (or a passport card) to cross the border to and from Canada. And Mexico.
    For land and sea entry, after June 1, there are still instances that you do not need a passport albeit that will be the most common form of ID for the majority of Americans.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The only states that have WHTI compliant IDs are Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington. This is not the same as a regular driver's license but involves extra fees and paperwork.

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by freefall View Post
    For land and sea entry, after June 1, there are still instances that you do not need a passport albeit that will be the most common form of ID for the majority of Americans.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html

The only states that have WHTI compliant IDs are Michigan, New York, Vermont and Washington. This is not the same as a regular driver's license but involves extra fees and paperwork.
    Designed for daily cross-border commuters, right? RFID chips that broadcast a signal that the border officials read like an Easy Pass at a toll both?

Basically, though, the OP is in RI and he is going to walk across the border as part of a recreational hike. He needs to get a passport or a passport card to avoid a long walk back to Katahdin.
    Frosty

Is the trail border crossing at an official border crossing?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Is the trail border crossing at an official border crossing?
    Yes, just a few miles NW of Presque Isle, I believe. IAT crosses the border on a state hwy. There's a 24-hour customs station there.

Have to stop at customs before crossing the border anywhere. No walking through the woods. Even snowmobilers must go through customs now I understand.
    Frosty

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post

Now THAT would be an amazing loop trip or circumnavitrek with two hella "AquaBlaze" connectors.
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Where I live, St. Stephen, NB is a border community with Calais, ME, and because our communities are heavily inter-connected, most residence of both communities cross on a daily basis.

For month's now, Canadian's entering the US have been required to show either picture ID (drivers licence) and a birth certificate or a passport, and no special documentation has been required at Canadian Customs.

As of today, a passport is required at all US entry points regardless of citizenship. However, that is not an official requirement at Canadian Borders. A drivers license and birth certificate would be enough... At this time Canada has no plans of enforcing a manditory passport policy.

I gotta say, it is an odd policy and a slap in the face to border officers when they MUST request a passport dispite the fact that you know the officer personally, see them on a daily basis, or like in my case, when my father and brother in law both must request my passport.

Not to mention, causing huge delays at the borders, clogging up our downtown with long line ups of commercial traffic... Not exactly how I imagined free trade working, then again, I never imagined it working in the first place, so I suppose I was right all along.

Default Mr. Obama, Tear down that wall!

"That longest and friendliest border in the world is now an invisible Berlin Wall"

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/...7265:b24830514

Images

Lets just hike Maine to the Key's
    Would you be offended if I told you to
    TAKE A HIKE!
    CowHead

"If at first you don't succeed......Skydiving is not for you" Zen Isms

I once was lost, then I hike the trail

Quote Originally Posted by CowHead View Post
    Lets just hike Maine to the Key's
    It's a shame, you'll miss out on great scenery, and some of the friendliest people on the planet.. Myself excluded, I generally don't represent my people well!

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

How about jumping over to the Pintoti and go to the very end of the Appalachians there as well.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

I have no desire to walk the Florida Trail/Key West (sorry Floridians..the FT just doesn't appeal to me)..but Flag Mountain to Gaspe' would be quite cool.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

++ New Posts ++