WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trail runners?

Images

Default trail runners?

can someone just give me ideas on good ones to get? I hate the whole trial and error thing. Doing the JMT next yr, any suggestions?

ba chomp, ba chewy chewy chomp chomp's Avatar

I love the New Balance 810 trail runners. The have worked well for me for several years now. And they come in widths, which is critical for me.

Quote Originally Posted by chomp View Post
    I love the New Balance 810 trail runners. The have worked well for me for several years now. And they come in widths, which is critical for me.

I also like the New Balance 800 series. The somewhat beefier, original 801 is still available at "aperfectdealer.com". These people are good to do business with.

litefoot 2000

I can't recommend a particular shoe. But I will stress the importance of testing the shoe out and breaking it in before a long thru hike. Not much worse than being a couple days into a long hike and realize you hate your shoes

Images

It all depends on your foot, and what feels good on it. Many people swear by the New Balance, but I don't particularly like them. I had a pair of Nike's that surprised me how well I liked them. And I have always like Asics.
    It's a great day to be alive !

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chomp View Post
    I also use these, though they're up to 812 now. You can find 811s on sale some places. These are very light shoes and some hikers find them too flimsy, so if you're looking for any kind of support, you may want to look elsewhere.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Ditto on the New Balance 800 series. Like Garlic said, 812 is the new series number and run about $90. You can find 811 at New Balance outlet stores for about half that. I've used them since the 803s....

Images

Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX

Images

Salomon XA Comp III

(Not that I would recommend that you buy a pair without testing a lot of shoes. Sorry.)
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Salomon XA Comp III

(Not that I would recommend that you buy a pair without testing a lot of shoes. Sorry.)
    Similar to the Salomon XA Comp 3? How many miles on them?

At trail days I bought Inov 8 Roclite 320's. I've been wearing them for an hour now this computer. Their reputation (as a running shoe) is great for weight, good for comfort, and acceptable but perhaps below average for wear. I use the Superfeet insoles.

My good experience with the Montrail Hardrock and Vasque Velocity is getting dated.

Rambler

Montrail Hardrocks from Mountain Crossings saved my trek when my well broken in Asolo boots destroyed my feet in GA.

I highly suggest them

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phreak View Post
    Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra GTX
    I second that, GREAT SHOE!
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ARambler View Post
    Similar to the Salomon XA Comp 3? How many miles on them?
    I get a year of section hiking with them. They seem to hold up pretty well.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Go to a good store that specializes in running. Even better if they have people who specialize in trail running. Even better if they have an active adventure racer clientele.

There is not a direct correlation to backpacking, but a knowledgeable sales person will work with you, often do running/walking tests, etc to get a shoe that is a good fit for YOU.

Every foot is different. What's golden for one person will be a bad fit for another.

Buy the initial pair of shoes and the size they suggest after all their hard work. If you like the shoe, then buy online (and in bulk ..as shoes change often!).

If you are new to trail shoes vs boots (or hell, even new to backpacking in general) it is worth spending some money with a qualified, knowledgeable and helpful sales person. The ones who work/own the small stores often do it out of love and their enthusiasm and passion will help you.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I went to a good running shop to get fitted and ended up with Brooks Adrenaline ASR as I pronate.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

ive wanted to check out those golite storm dragons...

Images

2 guys i was with got the beginning stages of trenchfoot and a bunch of blisters b/c of their goretex shoes. they just couldn't dry their feet during the course of the day after a day of soaking rain

others opinions vary, and plenty of people enjoy goretex trail runners. i'm just sharing my experience w/ them
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    I second that, GREAT SHOE!
    i found those shoes lacking in arch support on my thru hike. I had them from springer to nannyhala. my feet were getting really sore. this was without superfeet or any other orthotic, just the regular insole that came with them. There, i bought chacos on sale. loved every bit of them for the remaining 600 miles of my hike.

i still like the solomons for day hikes and runs.

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

It is all a very personal choice. Ask 20 different people, get 15 different answers. try some on in the store, but also think about where you are going to be hiking. I wouldnt wear Trail runners in PA, cause the rocks may tear up your feet.

That is just one example but something to gnaw on.

Registered User Mother's Finest's Avatar

The dang brand don't matter.

if it fits buy it.....

the shape of your foot should dictate the shoe you purchase. A pro should be able to fit you very quickly.

peace
    mf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++