WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Eating Coffee Beans For Caffeine?

I've noticed that some here go stove-less. And that many who have stoves like to conserve fuel. What about the idea of eating coffee beans in the morning for a caffeine boost instead of boiling water? I'm pretty sure they are edible as we drink the extract from a bean when we drink a cup. Also, my sister is a coffee fiend and eats beans from time to time for a jolt.

Images

Not all that long ago, chocolate covered coffee beans were quite popular, and they tasted really good. I had to stop eating them when people noticed I was quivering so much my edges were blurred. I'd been wondering why everything seemed in slow motion.

A google search should yield sources. I think I'd prefer my morning coffee in a cup, though. I'm just used to it.

Images

Chocolate covered coffee beans are delicious!!!!

I'd think you'd want to eat a smaller number of beans than you'd use to make coffee or you might be like this

I used to be addicted to munching on them.....can't eat them with braces on. Someday soon!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar214 View Post
    Chocolate covered coffee beans are delicious!!!!
    i put them in my gorp

Images

You can find chocolate covered coffee beans for sale at Starbucks....both milk chocolate and dark chocolate.

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Why buy them? They are so easy to make and much less expensive. For those of you that have my book, the recipe is on page 111. For those of you who don't just PM me and I can pull it from the manuscript files for you.

Images

My son was an infantryman in the Marine Corps. I asked him one morning if he wanted some coffee, and was surprised he hadn't gotten the habit in the military since it seemed everyone drank coffee in the Air Force when I was in. He told me that he and the other Marines used to EAT the coffee packet that came in their MRE's for the caffeine when they were out in the field. Yuch! I'll drink mine, thanks anyway.

Images

Swiss Miss makes Pick-Me-Up, or some such version, that has as much caffeine as a cup of coffee in each packet. I went stoveless over Memorial Day weekend. For breakfast I mixed the Swiss Miss+ with cold water and ate it with a spoon. It was excellent.

There are also all sorts of Jelly Belly energy beans and Cliff Shots with caffeine. You can definitely overdo. One hike, I had to ease off them them when I realized my heart was racing.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Journal Entries
    Images

Don't for get you can buy a caffiene pills from the drug store that weigh nothing. They can be added to any drink and have no taste.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Choco covered coffee beans are the shiznit!!!!! I was looking for some tday to add to my gorp, but alas no luck
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

Journal Entries
    Images

Make your own melt a bar in a double boiler and grounds and pour on a cookie sheet to cool then jam the sheet into the refrigerator and later break it into bits.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

the hiker formaly known as Wonderfoot
    Images

I love chocolate covered espresso beans!
    As for eatting them on a regualr basis.....I don't know if this would be the wisest course of action. I have worked at and managed several coffeehouses, and have even received corprate training on the subject. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all of the details, but there is something int he oils of unfiltered coffee that had damaging effects to your stomach and cicurlitory system. When the bean is roasted, many oils are produced. When making coffee with a regular paper coffee filter, many of these damaging oils are removed. YOu would have to look up the stats....I just don't recall. Now, that being said, coffee with all of the oils intact (is french press, metal filer or just snacking) the flavor is much purer. Just be aware of yourself. I went through a phase of eating them and drinking french press as a habit, and did a number on my tummy.

The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose............................................ ...
    Strong and content I travel the open road
    ~Walt Whitman Song of the open road

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    I went through a phase of eating them and drinking french press as a habit, and did a number on my tummy.
    Me Too.

Cheers!

Images

Why not use caffeinated flavored drink mixes? They sell them ready to add to a liter of water
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Don't know about eating coffee beans but back in the day I used to chew up a couple of dexedrine tablets to get going in the morning. That was another lifetime ago.

I'd think you'd have to chew up a lot of coffee beans to get the caffeine that a large (20 - 24 oz) cup of coffee would have though. I just carry the folger singles and make brewing a cup of coffee part of my morning and evening experience. Plus that hot cup of joe in the morning "moves" me in a certain way if you know what I mean....

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Don't know about eating coffee beans but back in the day I used to chew up a couple of dexedrine tablets to get going in the morning. That was another lifetime ago.

I'd think you'd have to chew up a lot of coffee beans to get the caffeine that a large (20 - 24 oz) cup of coffee would have though. I just carry the folger singles and make brewing a cup of coffee part of my morning and evening experience. Plus that hot cup of joe in the morning "moves" me in a certain way if you know what I mean....
    Remember that a cup of coffee is mostly water and the extract of the coffee grinds. I'd think it would take quite a few less eaten beans to get the same punch as a cup. Remember at least one of the earlier posts, eating some beans will get you vibrating.

Images

Angry Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder View Post
    I love chocolate covered espresso beans!
    As for eatting them on a regualr basis.....I don't know if this would be the wisest course of action. I have worked at and managed several coffeehouses, and have even received corprate training on the subject. It's been a long time, so I don't remember all of the details, but there is something int he oils of unfiltered coffee that had damaging effects to your stomach and cicurlitory system. When the bean is roasted, many oils are produced. When making coffee with a regular paper coffee filter, many of these damaging oils are removed. YOu would have to look up the stats....I just don't recall. Now, that being said, coffee with all of the oils intact (is french press, metal filer or just snacking) the flavor is much purer. Just be aware of yourself. I went through a phase of eating them and drinking french press as a habit, and did a number on my tummy.
    one more thing i shouldn.t do.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++