WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Dude, don't loose any sleep over it, brain damage can happen to the best of us. I suspect you suffer from a little brain too.
    True, but it happened when I was a baby and I don't blame my mom for it either. . . she had three other little ones and got distracted. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Sidewinder. . . I really apologize for that last post. . . . good for you for hikin on the way you do. . . . I can't imagine the extra challenge. . . . you rock. . . . again, I'm very sorry for what I said. . . . have a great hike dude. . . . .
    That's why you are a.....True Warraghiyagey.......like the rest of us you err, but quick to make amends......You also rock!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kanati View Post
    That's why you are a.....True Warraghiyagey.......like the rest of us you err, but quick to make amends......You also rock!!!!
    Thanks Kanati. . . . it's still embarassing though when I post without considering what someone's story might be. . . . I thought Sidewinder might be a dick but he seems like a pretty cool dude. . . . maybe if I reign it in a little I could be too. . . .

True, but it happened when I was a baby and I don't blame my mom for it either. . . she had three other little ones and got distracted. . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.
    Yes, many have done it in 7 days. Others have done it much faster and slower. Suggestion: wait till August.

Hey, I have a question about the 100 mile wilderness. What is there to eat at the north end of it. I don't have a problem carrying enough food to make it thru but the thought hit me......then what?

I just realized I posted this on the wrong thread...

Hey, I have a question about the 100 mile wilderness. What is there to eat at the north end of it. I don't have a problem carrying enough food to make it thru but the thought hit me......then what?

You either pick up something at Abol Bridge store - right before you enter Baxter SP or you get something when you get to Millinocket. . .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    Backpacked 26 days in the Canadian Rockies last summer with one food drop. Can Katahdin to Monson be done in 7 days? I have a limited time in June but would like to experience some of the more isolated A.T. Any suggestions are welcome.

Head net, head net, head net.....unless you like your protein on the "fly"
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I attempted this hike in mid-june years ago and turned back after the first day. It was a feeding frenzy with me as the main course. When I try it again it will be sept or oct. If you must go in june bring a gallon of deet and a head net.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Default 100 mile wilderness

1) sure it can be done in seven days. AT thru hikers do it all the time. You best be in shape and don't plan on much in way of breaks. All those inviting ponds for swimming? forget it. You got miles to make.

2) I have never been in that part of Maine in June. I have heard nothing but horror stories about the mud and the bugs that time of year. For my money, September is the time to go.

David

Plan to do 100 mile wilderness first week of August - Northound - Monson to Abol Bridge - We only have 7 days to finish it - any of you that have done it in 7 or less northbound - do you have a history of how far you went each day - looks like first half is rather hilly and 2nd half is rather flat.

Moral: NEVER juggle babies (at least more than three at a time) .
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by dcynewski View Post
    Plan to do 100 mile wilderness first week of August - Northound - Monson to Abol Bridge - We only have 7 days to finish it - any of you that have done it in 7 or less northbound - do you have a history of how far you went each day - looks like first half is rather hilly and 2nd half is rather flat.
    some nobo's do it in 3 1/2 days! some a little slower, some real slow they don't want the journey to end northbound once you get past white cap mtn. your on the home stretch.______________________flat.

Default 100 in June

Not this June. That section of Maine has received over 6.5 inches of rain so far this year, just in JUne and more is predicted for tonight. The mud will be constant, humidity unbearable, and the stream crossings cold and high. Wait till later.
    Uncle Tom

2007 AT GA-->ME
    2010 PCT Mex-->CAN
    Blogging at tjamrog.wordpress.com

i thought he said aug. not june? should be alright by then?

Hey Warraghiyagey!

Since I am getting laid off... I want to do the 100 mile starting in Baxter on or around Aug 5th. Where you gonna be then? I am thinking if I survive & want to keep going, I'll have my BF meet me in Monson with the pups and maybe continue for several more weeks. Maybe I can do the whole ME stretch this summer... it may be my only opportunity to do a section hike for that long.
    The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.

Henry David Thoreau

Default What then?

You may have found your answer on another thread -- at the north end of the 100 Mile Wilderness, there is a small general store where you can get something to eat. It is right by the Abol Bridge.
    Shutterbug

That's the campground office/store for Abol campground. Pretty shody selection, often picked clean by ravenous hikers. But they do have some candy, ice cream, junk food, slim jims, etc. I wouldn't call it a resupply depot, more of a snack stop.

BTW you can get a nifty shower there, just waltz into the campground as if you owned the place. All you need is a few quarters. You don't have to be a camper. At least I got away with it.

Regarding this thread, I wouldn't call the 100 mile "isolated". There are huge groups that head in there. You can hear the racket for miles. If you want isolated, go to Saddleback or Sugarloaf. Maybe even the Bigelows during weekdays. But the 100 can be noisy and crowded! Its a worse problem than the bugs IMO.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
    I'll be in the 100 miles late July/early August. Hopefully the bug season will have peaked by then. As for Deet, I would not put anything on my skin that melts plastic. Deet is Bad. Worse than bugs. Stay away from the stuff.
    Plastic people should certainly avoid DEET. The rest of us will be okay.

Weary

Images

I'm impressed with you guys.. No Michael Jackson/deet jokes... :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist. RIP Michael.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++