WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Totem View Post
    kyhipo - I was joking. It's the converse of his story.
    You know you aren't allowed to Joke on whiteblaze, too many people have no sense of humor.
    BTW for the SOH challenged that was a joke
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    You know you aren't allowed to Joke on whiteblaze, too many people have no sense of humor.
    BTW for the SOH challenged that was a joke
    really funny aint itky

We depend on staying in the shelters and are not prepared to sleep outside.

It's not real clear but I think the OP meant to say that the above is what the girl in question said to them. I could be wrong.

But I would told them too bad, keep on hiking.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by Hikerhead View Post

But I would told them too bad, keep on hiking.
    i would of told them a little more than that!

I would have scooted over and made room for them, but to be honest they never would have needed to ask since I would have been moving my junk as soon as I heard them coming lol. Not saying the offer was never made. I wasn't there so I have no idea how things went down.
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by shrunkenhead View Post
    We depend on staying in the shelters and are not prepared to sleep outside.

Well that is the first mistake hiking the trail. One should always be prepared to tent and not rely on the shelter system.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Just goes to show, there are jackasses who hike as well as those who drive around in cars and pickup trucks.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

I think this troll is getting a lot of action.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Somewhere in Georgia we came across a group of ROTC kids that had tents set up inside the shelter.

Last tuesday, May 26, Our group had an unfortuate conflict with
    some self-identified through hikers, resulting in yelling and cursing.
    Our group, 12-15 year old boys and dads (age 45-55) were travelling south, a group of 4 self identifed thru hiker came about 4:30pm after we, being the only one at the site had settled in and began fixing for dinner.

This one twenty-ish woman with painted red hair and a nose stud demanded we remove our things from the shelter because they needed it. We depend on staying in the shelters and are not prepared to sleep outside. She says the shelters are built only for the thruhiker. She asked for immediate compliance because the shelters, she claims are for thru hikers. We asked her to settle down, set up camp and we'd gather together our people in a short while. I thought we could work something out, but she wanted unconditional surrender, and her friend started demanding names and addresses then began loud cursing. They left in a huff after a while.

How can issues like this be resolved without conflict? There was nothing posted at the site and that shelter is so small. Also, we later heard she made the same statements the night before at plum orchard. (she had told us she'd hiked twenty miles that day, even though pulm is less then 8 miles) We wonder how much longer they will remain on the trail, depending only on staying in shelters. (ie: any further sightings of the painted red haired girl?)
    shelters are first come, first served. period. thru-hiker wannabes have absolutely no rights to any shelter. i'd a cussed the little bitch out. but that's just me

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post

There are places along the AT in the south where thru-hikers have priority at shelters
    BS. NO hiker regardless of label has a priority at a shelter

Images

I despise elitist thru hikers.

Quote Originally Posted by kyhipo View Post
    I would have told that bitch to fk off!nicely considering I hate rude thru hikers with that attitudeky
    I hear ya...cept I wouldn't done it nicely ...perhaps it's a KY thing

Images

I think that large groups, be they Boy Scouts or any other organization, need to be especially aware of overwhelming other groups that are on the trail. In terms of noise alone, a group of 10 or 12 can be heard a long way off, and can monopolize whatever facilities are available. I speak from experience, being a troop leader who has lead BSA groups on a number of such trips. I think that any group of scouts, out of common courtesy, should plan not to rely on shelters on a hike. To not even be equipped to sleep outdoors is inexcusable.

Equally inexcusable was the woman's demand that they vacate, but everyone knows that Scouts are Friendly, Courteous, and Kind.

Be Prepared!
    Formerly uhfox

Springer to Bear Mountain Inn, NY
    N Adams, MA to Clarendon VT
    Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Last tuesday, May 26, Our group had an unfortuate conflict with
    some self-identified through hikers, resulting in yelling and cursing.
    Our group, 12-15 year old boys and dads (age 45-55) were travelling south, a group of 4 self identifed thru hiker came about 4:30pm after we, being the only one at the site had settled in and began fixing for dinner.

This one twenty-ish woman with painted red hair and a nose stud demanded we remove our things from the shelter because they needed it. We depend on staying in the shelters and are not prepared to sleep outside. She says the shelters are built only for the thruhiker. She asked for immediate compliance because the shelters, she claims are for thru hikers. We asked her to settle down, set up camp and we'd gather together our people in a short while. I thought we could work something out, but she wanted unconditional surrender, and her friend started demanding names and addresses then began loud cursing. They left in a huff after a while.

How can issues like this be resolved without conflict? There was nothing posted at the site and that shelter is so small. Also, we later heard she made the same statements the night before at plum orchard. (she had told us she'd hiked twenty miles that day, even though pulm is less then 8 miles) We wonder how much longer they will remain on the trail, depending only on staying in shelters. (ie: any further sightings of the painted red haired girl?)
    Funny, the same thing happened on Blood Mountain, except it was 4 thru hikers in the shelter that got run out by a group of scouts that came in loud and belligerent demanding they get the shelter. Similar thing happened with a group of scouts in Mass. It's not just thru hikers that can be obnoxious!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Funny, the same thing happened on Blood Mountain, except it was 4 thru hikers in the shelter that got run out by a group of scouts that came in loud and belligerent demanding they get the shelter. Similar thing happened with a group of scouts in Mass. It's not just thru hikers that can be obnoxious!
    Probably, the best thing that can happen at Blood Mt. shelter, is to "get run out". Obnoxious groups "deserve" a night in that cold, damp, mousebox!
    Moses

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    BS. NO hiker regardless of label has a priority at a shelter
    I can't wait till some punk tries to toss me out of a shelter.

if group size is such an issue for folks, why does the atc, aldha, and other large groups and websites encourage thru-hikers? ... or is 2,000 hikers starting in ga in the spring not a large group?

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    I agree, some of the most obnoxious hikers I've ever come across are scouts and their leaders. It's things like this that drive me to avoid shelters like the plague. Like someone else stated, no one has ever come up to me and demand I give them room in my hammock or let them have the 2 trees that I'm hung from.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    I agree, some of the most obnoxious hikers I've ever come across are scouts and their leaders. It's things like this that drive me to avoid shelters like the plague. Like someone else stated, no one has ever come up to me and demand I give them room in my hammock or let them have the 2 trees that I'm hung from.
    and some of the nicest hikers i have ever lead are scouts and their leaders...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++