WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default where were you on 9/11?

I just finished reading Rhyming Worms book for the second time. A very good read. In it he writes of how close the trail comes to NY City? Where were you on 9/11? Was anyone on the trail when the planes hit? They say folks can remember where they were when they heard about JFK being shot. I can remember where I was when I found out about the shuttle explosion. I was at the mall with my grandmother, aunt, and wife. I also remember where I was when I found out about 9/11. I believe the clock in the car said 8:58 EST. We were just leaving the parking lot at the apartment complex where we lived. I remember reading that we had a space shuttle that was in orbit at the time. The astronauts were about to see the smoke. How about you? Where were you?

Images

I was going to Bearings Marketing in Sarasota Florida, And I live a quarter mile from the airport perimeter Google 325 Whifield ave. Sarasota Fl 34243. Plus it my Moms B day. Watch the hole loading AirForce one Dibalcle Fom the back section of the airport on Old 301. Got stuck in traffic trying to get back to work, got to the Gaurd Gate an it was on TV. Boss sent me an everyone else home. A Appache attack Helicopter flew within 80 feet above my house. An the scrambled jets from Mc Dill AFB. Where there in 5 mins. I could of hit that plane with a rock. Huge loud an fast.
    Last edited by Alligator; 06-04-2009 at 23:07. Reason: Politics removed

Images

I was headed to a meeting in College Station, TX with the principal and other department heads from the junior high school in which I taught at the time. The principal got a call from his wife after the first plane and we turned the radio on to hear the news. When we got to the meeting (a large meeting of Texas junior high teachers) the second plane had hit. The meeting was soon cancelled and we were told to go back to our schools to help kids deal with it.

I remember reading journals about folks on the trail finding out about it. Most heard right away, but some didn't know for several days.

Images

Was at work then.

9/11/08 was on summit of big K, along with other Whiteblazers!

Moon away Notorius tic, moon away!

I was in West Reading Fighting with an Arab. Irony for ya
    Man must put an end to war, or War will put an end to man.
    John F. Kennedy

Images

I was at work, in the breakroom getting a coke when the news started coming through CNN. Not much work got done that day.

I was loading M16 magazines at 20th SF's Urban Combat Course, we all shot with a purpose for the next three weeks.

I am a historian with a specialty in US foreign policy,and I teach US History in a high school. My students and I watched tv together all day. Usually I have about 30 kids, but on that day there were about 60 kids with me, and several teachers came in also.

Inn at the Long Trail.
    Yahtzee

Images

I was in the newsroom, on deadline. Scoffing at the TV commentators, who were wondering if the first plane was an accident, when clearly it was an act of terrorism...then, watching live as the second plane hit, and knowing that I was in for a long, long, long day on the job.

I remember everything about the day of the shuttle explosion, too, even though I was only in the eighth grade. Some things younever forget.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I was at a job site, and the company's systems went down. The main office, along with the e-mail server, was in the first tower.

Images

i was in high school. my first period teacher didn't say anything about it. i found out from my second period teacher. it still bothers me that my teacher didn't tell us about it.

My 50th birthday......

Images

I was in my Motel room in Sacramento when a co worker in the same Motel called me and told me the NY Trade Towers had been hit. At first, I thought he was pulling my leg and I told him so. The rest of the day was a blur.

Not a fun day, by any means.

I remember I did keep my pants on through the day and gave quite a bit of thought to the folks in those two buildings.

The internet is calling and I must go. buff_jeff's Avatar

I was in eighth grade language arts class.

Storyteller
    Images

I heard it first on Howard Stern while doing some work in my garden. Went for a job interview a short time later and was pulling into the parking lot of the place when it all started to become clear what had happened ... the second plane into the towers, the Pentagon, Flight 93. Went inside and the person I was to interview with and I both said let's reschedule this for another time.

Was home getting ready to leave for work?

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I was also in high school. First day of senior year. The school ignored it so i ditched to go up to the mountains to see New York ( my parents live 10 minutes from the watchung mountains over looking NYC). On the 13th I went and loaded boxes on boats to take supplies to ground zero from Hoboken NJ for about 8 hours. It was the start of my need to volunteer, although I havent been on a fire truck in about 2 and a half years. Gotta get back into Volly FF'ing.

9/11/2001 - 40th and Park, NYC

9/13/2001 - Started my first 50-mile section hike in Salisbury, CT as planned

Images

I was at home watching the morning news following the story only to respond to work well before my afternoon shift with my police department in NJ. I was detailed to NYC in charge of a contingent of officers from my department, joining with 150 other NJ officers and sent via ferry from Staten Island to Manhatten.

Heading across the river was the beginning of several surreal observations,
    the dark city except for the fire at ground zero
    the smell of concrete dust and dust everywhere
    once there the darkness, abandoned buses, cabs and cars every where, yet people were out walking their dogs
    way to many more to go into

As walked from the ferry terminal we were given a ride to a staging area by a cop driving a commandeered MTA bus, where we were assigned an NYPD van to patrol in a group, no radio communication. Covered an area around Broadway.

the facade of the Towers lying in rubble, the crushed and burnt fire equipment, the American Flag all pictures forever burned in my mind.

As the sun rose people came out everywhere, the city was alive, it was remarkable.

Now after a 30 year career, retiring in 3 weeks, this is an experience I'll always carry.

"Heroes live forever"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++