WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Comedy Central - Skunk, Mud and ....You guessed a Sticky Bug Trap.

Little to do with hiking but I put the dog outside a few hours ago to do business and he came back awful.... Well it only happens once right? Just like lightening....Yes a full blown skunk spray only he did an about face, found the nearest mud hole and rolled! We had a few cans of tomato Juice... Yes those 1/2 gallons left over from Y2k that nobody wants to drink. Poured it on like a bad Bloody Mary and my poor Black Lab looked like he was from Friday the 13th and the day after. Then I started to cut the tomato with heavy dog shampoo with tick stuff in it... Thirty minutes (possibly more)..... My arms are falling off and the 2lbs of hair is cloggin' the drain.... I start working the mud from the paws and I find a sticky bug trap! I couldn't work it off! Goo be gone - nope.... after three products my wife came home and said. "Soft Scrub!" and that worked. Ohh man I am beat. The bathroom is destroyed. Hair / mud all over the walls. So I put him outside after drying him off right?

Huge Mistake.

Rugby went back to the mud and we had to do it all over. It took more than another half hour to get the mud off. I have little spots of sticky hair all over the damn place. He will have to dry off in the bathroom tonigt... Dumb dog.

Suddenly I don't feel very wise......
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

That's a really funny story.
    Dogs are natural comedians.
    If you're in a hurry, why are you walking?

Journal Entries
    Images

My arms are falling off after all that scrubbing today he has poofy mats of hair!
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You're a good man Owl. . . . anyone that sees to the wayward mutts is a good one. . . .

Journal Entries
    Images

Yea, the wife is ranting now ... about the clean up. He was doing so well and learning, retaining, getting new words. He even has stopped towing me down the trail as he is on a leash. (Gentle Leader)

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Oooops! He did it again! This Morning! There was nothing I could use other than the Hunter's soap and the results were amazing! Forget tomato juice, I didn't have any hydrogen peroxide, I was out of Shampoo. - I grabbed Scent-a-way ( I stock up every January at Walmart) Used half a bottle.... wow!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Woo

WOO

I have heard a small amount of Vanilla extract natural/real stuff (as opposed to imatation) works to de-skunk a dog or you. Do not know if this is true but one of my son's Hunters safety teachers claimed it worked.

Poor pup...poor Woo. I too was greeted by our dog once who had come in smelling like Wow! I figured when I let him in the smell came in with him...closer inspection showed a oily substance all over his face. We tried Tomato juice, and finally called the Vet's office who said we could try...(something I don't remember, it was and enzyme something or other from Agway). Really the only thing that did it....was time. Glad you found something that worked Woo...cause damn! I wouldn't wish that smell on anyone....(ok, a few people).

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longfan View Post
    WOO

I have heard a small amount of Vanilla extract natural/real stuff (as opposed to imatation) works to de-skunk a dog or you. Do not know if this is true but one of my son's Hunters safety teachers claimed it worked.

Ahh well next time someone gets skunked try it and get back to us - for me the mystery is solved.

Scent a way active ingredient is Triclosan an anti bacteria...

Folks I'm here to say I DO MY HOMEWORK!
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 03-01-2013 at 21:41.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Folks I'm here to say I DO MY HOMEWORK!
    I guess that's better than stocking up for the imaginary Y2K hoax.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Images

And thus we are cat people.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Journal Entries
    Images

Huh? outdoor cats get skunked too... Thank's Mrs Baggins.

Woo

WOO
    I just placed it herre as another method for those who may want to try it. I have NO PLAN to get that near a skunk nor to allow my dog that close either!

I know it was not your plan to get/allow yours that close to a skunk!!

Journal Entries
    Images

I think I removed over 10 skunks last year and dropped them off in the state parks... They are an easy catch and release.

Woo

WOO

Would that be from your home place you removed the pole cats?

Journal Entries
    Images

Hey Longfan this is the internet... life is OK - I am Trapper Mark. I trap, remove, distribute Nuisance wildlife... this was the home place to answer your good question...

Woo

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

That sucks WOO. But look at the bright side - at least it wasn't a porcupine. I'm sure you've seen a dog with a face full of quills. Not a pretty sight. Or a pretty vets bill.

And in Mrs Baggins defense, it happens WAY less to cats than dogs. While I love both, cats generally have much more sense in such matters.
    We are all one big human family.

Journal Entries

Wow, that is a gorgeous dog!

++ New Posts ++