WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Franconia Ridge Next Weekend

Any suggestions on local places to stay on a budget...I contacted someone that I know who owns a campground but I was also considering one of the state campgrounds...any tips?

The Lafayete campground at Franconia notch would be a logical place to stay. Its right off the highway and right where your hiking. You might want to call ahead for reservations though, it can get busy there on weekends.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

In the meantime...I did some googling...my buddy and I decided on the Lost River Campground... we are going to go through the FLume Gorge too..haven't been there in years!

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by hikergirl1120 View Post
    In the meantime...I did some googling...my buddy and I decided on the Lost River Campground... we are going to go through the FLume Gorge too..haven't been there in years!
    That's a nice campground.
    Frosty

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

There are also national forest campgrounds too in that area.

Have a great time!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

There is free unorgainized campsites on some of the sideroads along RT 3 between the split where RT 3 splits from 93 north of the notch and twin mountain. I beleive they are on the loop road that accesses the Galehead and Garfield. I havent been there for years but all they are a place to park with no facilities. You need a WMNF parking pass. There are similiar sites on the south end of Cherry Mountain road. There are also sites on the Tripoli road but there may be a fee (was at one time but not sure if there still is).

All of the sites tend to be party spots and the lack of toilet facilties tends to make them somewhere to watch your step if you go in the woods. IMO You are far better to pay a few bucks and stay in a state or WMNF campground.

Images

Lafayette Campground is alright and you can hike right from there. The free campsites along the roads out there arent too bad. Hiking the ridge is awesome. Have a great hike.

You won't do much better than $24 anywhere in the area (I checked). Maybe a buck or two savings, but the Lafayette Campground is right smack in the middle of all the trailheads, so it's the better value, in my view.

I drive to this area to hike - so I haven't used the campground, but I have hiked through it (getting to the Lonesome Pond Trailhead). Looks like a nice campground with decent bathroom facilities and decently maintained sites.

There's a Camp Store, but don't depend on it, as Massachusetts is running billion dollar deficits and the store does not seem to be keeping to its posted open hours. When I was there last, the campground had little business yet as it won't get ramped up until after school is out in a few more weeks, so spend some time scoping out the best site. It will probably be available by request.

There's an underground walkway from the campground to most of the other trailheads across the street, so no worries there.

It's a great area. I recently hiked some there and posted some shots on flickr here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3867238...67558508/show/

Cheers,
    Buckwheat

Images

Smile Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat View Post
    ...the Lafayette Campground is right smack in the middle of all the trailheads, so it's the better value, in my view. I drive to this area to hike - so I haven't used the campground, but I have hiked through it (getting to the Lonesome Pond Trailhead). Looks like a nice campground with decent bathroom facilities and decently maintained sites.

There's a Camp Store, but don't depend on it, as Massachusetts is running billion dollar deficits and the store does not seem to be keeping to its posted open hours. When I was there last, the campground had little business yet as it won't get ramped up until after school is out in a few more weeks, so spend some time scoping out the best site. It will probably be available by request.

Cheers,
    Buckwheat
    Great information. One thing cracked me up: Because a majority of the cars parked along both sides of the road at the Lafayette Place trailheads on a busy weekend are from Massachusetts does that mean Franconia Notch is suddenly the northern most part of the Commonwealth? Otherwise, how does the Mass State deficit effect the Lafayette Place Campstore?

Images

I think we are going to hit the trail at the crack of dawn so no worries on parking...thanks for all the great info!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    ... how does the Mass State deficit effect the Lafayette Place Campstore?
    Heh.

Good point. I was conflating my experience at Mount Greylock with my experience at Franconia.

Greylock also had serious staffing issues that the park rangers blamed on the state deficit. They had been told to cut back on everyone's hours.

I would bet the same thing might be happening in NH; but it could also have been that the season is just really getting started.

Cheers.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by celt View Post
    Great information. One thing cracked me up: Because a majority of the cars parked along both sides of the road at the Lafayette Place trailheads on a busy weekend are from Massachusetts does that mean Franconia Notch is suddenly the northern most part of the Commonwealth? ...
    Yes!!! We're moving the Franconia Ridge to the southern end of the Wapack trail (a mile from me). Taking down the Old Man of the Mountain was the first act in the annexation!

Actually the NH state Parks are in somewhat better shape short term than surrounding states as the park system is "self supporting" therefore they arent as affected by state budget deficits. Unfortunately they also dont have very good access to funds for long term capital improvements so, there is a lot of deferred maintenance.

Like most states, there is usually money to create a park but not a lot to maintain or improve them. The new ATV park in Berlin, Jericho Mtn State Park, is on its second year of operation and has very few ATV trails open as, the state has no significant budget to build them. The development plan calls for a large campground on Jericho Lake (which is a real nice place), but have no idea where the money is going to come from.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    The Lafayete campground at Franconia notch would be a logical place to stay. Its right off the highway and right where your hiking. You might want to call ahead for reservations though, it can get busy there on weekends.
    That's a nice campground. I've stayed there twice. New bathrooms/showers were put in at the back of the campground a few years ago. Also a nice trail is the Pemi trail which runs along side the interstate from the campground. If you like exploring you can climb up the cliff where you are right below where the old man of the mtn used to be. It's just like being above treeline with only a 15 minute hike from the trail. It's not marked where you leave the trail, just look for the manways.
    [COLOR="Blue"]Hokey Pokey [/COLOR]

If it's a hot day you could take a diversion by going to the Whale's Tale water park, on rt. 3, north of Lincoln, and south of The Flume. Lincoln has a few backpacking stores on the main street. I can think of Lahout's and The North Face has a store.

Images

I LOOOOVVVEEEE Linclon, I spent a lot of time there when I was younger!!! Hooray!! I can't wait!

Default Franconia Notch next weekend

There is a hostel in Lincoln run by a fellow named Chester. Folks in town should be able to direct you.

Just don't go to Frescoloni's pizza.....dern racists

On my 1990 section hike I stayed at the Kangamagus Motor Lodge in Lincoln. Reasonable rates and you can get steam bath units in the bathtub. I hiked in May, and it was cold, and the steam bath was great.
    http://www.kancmotorlodge.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Homer&Marje View Post
    Just don't go to Frescoloni's pizza.....dern racists
    GH Pizza all the way!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++