Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AT - doing it one weekend at a time

Default I would like your opinions please...

First, I'd like to apologize for jumping into the women's section since I'm not a woman. Second, the reason I'm here is because this is the women's section and that's who I need opinions from...women. So, if you're willing to overlook the fact that I'm a guy (and that this doesn't involve the AT), I'd really appreciate some input please.

You see, I'm looking to propose to my girlfriend soon, and we are planning an upcoming hike to the Adirondacks in New York. Neither of us have been there before but we go hiking together frequently (we both really enjoy it). We are planning on hiking Mount Marcy over two days, and I was planning on proposing on the summit (weather permitting). The views are supposed to be great there as I'm sure many of you know.

I had considered other options, but it seems that most people try the restaurant idea, romantic trip to another country idea, a public event idea, etc. so in a way it's all too ordinary even though it's not at all ordinary. The reason I like the hike idea is that it can be scenic (and therefore romantic despite the sweat) and will really catch her by surprise because she would be too focused on the hike and/or the view to really expect it.

Does this sound like a good idea from a woman's point of view? Would you like this type of proposal? I only ask because we are both going to be tired and sweaty (which isn't romantic) but the view is one of the best in the eastern US (which can be romantic). What do you think?

Thank you all for any input you can provide!
    My site with photo journal and progress on section-hiking the AT: http://www.bustermartin101.com

Be happy.

Images

Does she like hiking? Is it a long hike? I think if she likes hiking and it is a reasonable distance for her, it would be very romantic. However, if she has never hiked or doesn't enjoy hiking or if it is too long a trip, it might not be a good idea. Oops, I see that she does like hiking.. so ignore that question...

Quote Originally Posted by Red Hat View Post
    Does she like hiking? Is it a long hike? I think if she likes hiking and it is a reasonable distance for her, it would be very romantic. However, if she has never hiked or doesn't enjoy hiking or if it is too long a trip, it might not be a good idea. Oops, I see that she does like hiking.. so ignore that question...
    Thanks for replying...I know you said to ignore the question, but I wanted to add that she is excited for this trip and indeed looking forward to it!
    My site with photo journal and progress on section-hiking the AT: http://www.bustermartin101.com

Be happy.

If you do it, do it all the way. Haul up the champagne, cheese & crackers, caviar, chocolate strawberries, whatever. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

User Extraordinaire

I think that's a fabulous idea, since it's something that you both enjoy doing together. You'll be alone on the top of a mountain with breathtaking views. There's nothing much more unique/romantic than that.

Have her take her time getting to the top, and make sure she's not carrying too heavy of a load. She's going to need a lot of energy for the excitement of a proposal.

Hauling up an extra special treat like chocolate covered strawberries would also be super sweet. It doesn't matter if you don't have them, though, as long as you have the ring.

Images

sounds like a great idea, i hope she doesn't read wb, might be a spoiled surprise
    Gaiter
    homepage.mac.com/thickredhair
    web.mac.com/thickredhair/AT_Fall_07

If you do it, do it all the way. Haul up the champagne, cheese & crackers, caviar, chocolate strawberries, whatever. Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by viridian View Post
    I think that's a fabulous idea, since it's something that you both enjoy doing together. You'll be alone on the top of a mountain with breathtaking views. There's nothing much more unique/romantic than that.

Have her take her time getting to the top, and make sure she's not carrying too heavy of a load. She's going to need a lot of energy for the excitement of a proposal.

Hauling up an extra special treat like chocolate covered strawberries would also be super sweet. It doesn't matter if you don't have them, though, as long as you have the ring.
    I would love to bring all those extra goodies...and had thought about that. However, the problem I run into is that she would surely notice that stuff in my pack since we are doing a 2 day and camping in between. I wish there was some way to still bring that stuff and surprise her.

Be happy.

One thing to be aware of, the high peaks region sees a lot of hikers. I'm fairly certain that there is a quota system for Marcy hikers. I'm not 100% sure however. Check into it before going. I would hate for your moment to be ruined because you cannot get a permit to summit!

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

Images

Lots of guys propose on hikes. Didn't one of the Bush daughters get proposed to on a hike??? If you both enjoy hiking, it's a wonderful idea!

Instead of hauling up all that stuff, maybe just one small bottle of champagne. Or even a couple of those single-serve wine bottles. Should be easy enough to hide those. You could also plan to take her out for a romantic dinner AFTER the proposal to celebrate.

As a girl, I would prefer being proposed to on top of a mountain than in a restaurant. It would be much more memorable. And in the future, you have a great place to go back to and reminisce. Restaurants close, but mountains will always be there.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightfoot View Post
    One thing to be aware of, the high peaks region sees a lot of hikers. I'm fairly certain that there is a quota system for Marcy hikers. I'm not 100% sure however. Check into it before going. I would hate for your moment to be ruined because you cannot get a permit to summit!
    BL
    Good idea...I hadn't thought about a permit type of deal. As for the crowds, we are going to arrive Wed. night and start hiking on Thurs. morning to avoid crowds. If the weather doesn't cooperate we can still go on Fri or Sat before we "have to" head back because of work.

Be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokey2006 View Post
    Lots of guys propose on hikes. Didn't one of the Bush daughters get proposed to on a hike??? If you both enjoy hiking, it's a wonderful idea!

Instead of hauling up all that stuff, maybe just one small bottle of champagne. Or even a couple of those single-serve wine bottles. Should be easy enough to hide those. You could also plan to take her out for a romantic dinner AFTER the proposal to celebrate.

As a girl, I would prefer being proposed to on top of a mountain than in a restaurant. It would be much more memorable. And in the future, you have a great place to go back to and reminisce. Restaurants close, but mountains will always be there.

Good luck, hope it goes well.

I think the romantic dinner might not be a bad idea...a lot more possible than keeping the champagne or wine hidden and cold overnight.

Be happy.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Now if you had a REALLY GOOD FRIEND who would be willing to haul all the good stuff up for you and meet at a predetermined point and time to hand it off, it would substantially elevate the surprise value. If that person was a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FRIEND they might also be willing to set up a nice blanket with everything laid out, serve the champagne, then bug out leaving you both to enjoy it in private. Just thoughts...wish you the best! I'm sure we'd all like to hear how it went afterward.
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I'd supplement it with a nice picnic, etc. and a red rose (you can get one made of satin).

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

User Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Many Walks View Post
    Now if you had a REALLY GOOD FRIEND who would be willing to haul all the good stuff up for you and meet at a predetermined point and time to hand it off, it would substantially elevate the surprise value. If that person was a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD FRIEND they might also be willing to set up a nice blanket with everything laid out, serve the champagne, then bug out leaving you both to enjoy it in private. Just thoughts...wish you the best! I'm sure we'd all like to hear how it went afterward.
    Jeez, I'd do that for you! (although it may cost you ) But like I said, as long as you remember to bring the ring, all that other stuffs not necessary. It'll be memorable either way.

I'd be willing to help. I'm a 46er and hike up there frequently. When I finished my 46 a friend carried a bottle of champagne for my friend and I who were both finishing - its doable. Were you planning on making Marcy itself into a 2 day hike...? One other thing, I'm not aware of # limits for the summit of Marcy but if you are expecting any alone time up there, I wouldn't count on it. Even on a Thursday I would assume there would be lots of people on the summit.

Let me know if you'd like a hand lugging some of that stuff up there. As long as I get some chocolate or something for my efforts I'd be happy to help

Images

Theres a mountian right across from marcy. it can easily be made into a 2 day trip. But its called pitchfork if im correct. Its about a 3 hour hike to the top. at the top you can see everything. you can also see the top of marcy. It is almost always empty up there. But when you get to the top theres a cave and the cave leads to a little notch on the side of a shear cliff. its really cool. you should try to look into that if you dont want to see other people

But its called pitchfork if im correct.

I'm guessing you mean Haystack ? Maybe there is a Pitchfork mountain, but I've never heard of it...

Haystack is a really nice hike too. Its also a bald summit and very close to Marcy so there is a nice view from its summit. Skylight, also very near both Haystack and Marcy, is a nice hike.

Images

you better be RIGHT about this, because if your not, it will be a long, i mean loooooong walk down.

wish you the best
    KK
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz_Lightfoot View Post

BL
    there is no permit required here

only caveat i can see is camping at marcy dam. There are 4 lean-tos that are first come/first served.

Camping here would cut the round trip to Marcy and back to 10 miles. Very doable- no to sweaty or tired when it comes proposal time. You could leave everything here (there is a ranger) save for your day pack of "essentials" (champagne, ring, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Martin View Post
    I would love to bring all those extra goodies...and had thought about that. However, the problem I run into is that she would surely notice that stuff in my pack since we are doing a 2 day and camping in between. I wish there was some way to still bring that stuff and surprise her.
    bring it anyway, she'll still act surprised.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++