WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Right on! I just got mine today and looking forward to using it - leaving for the AT on Friday. Boy this thing is light and packs down sooo smalllll - glad I went for it. Should be a fun trip, got my pack down to 20.5 pounds with 2.5L of water and 3 days of food

As always -
    Take it easy,
    Martin

Right on! I just got mine today and looking forward to using it - leaving for the AT on Friday. Boy this thing is light and packs down sooo smalllll - glad I went for it. Should be a fun trip, got my pack down to 20.5 pounds with 2.5L of water and 3 days of food

As always -
    Take it easy,
    Martin

Images

great work man!
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Images

ordered one too! thanks for the info should be perfect for the AT in NJ in the summer. bob

I have that Lafuma bag and the quality is excellent. I think the people who bad mouth Lafuma have never actually owned one. Don't let the good price make you think it is a crummy bag, because it is not.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

This was tempting, but I had to pass since I already have 2 great bags, and the Lafuma was only 1 lb. lighter than my Kelty Stratus, which is good to 35 degrees.

I was really struggling with this one, though... and now of course the 20% off has expired... Never underestimate the gravitational pull of a good gear deal.
    --There is always more uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    I love slow He's nothing if not consistent.

He's right, don't buy a 36$ 20oz. bag for summers in the south. It's disposable crap and way to heavy. You might spend a cold night in it and you'll need to buy another one in 5 years, even if you take care of it.

You need an 8 oz. nunatak ARC AT quilt for 229$. Don't forget the Skaha Down Sweater for 319$ to go with it. Oh, that's 9oz too, but you'll need it because the ARC AT is only a 3/4 length bag, but it's dual use, so way cooler. Maybe a western mountaineering mitylite, that's only 285$ and 26 oz. It's way better than some lafuma crap. Or maybe a jacks r better quilt, they're high quality and only about 200$ and 15 oz.

Buy quality buy once, plan on living and hiking a long time, make sure your needs remain static as well.
    Walmart has 50 bag for 16 ... you win.Gunk is ?

You need an 8 oz. nunatak ARC AT quilt for 229$. Don't forget the Skaha Down Sweater for 319$ to go with it. Oh, that's 9oz too, but you'll need it because the ARC AT is only a 3/4 length bag, but it's dual use, so way cooler.
    So thats $548 to keep you warm down to 40 degrees. What a huge waste of money. The Nunatac Arc AT is only a 3/4 length bag, so you need to bring an extra down coat that you would only use only at night. The rest of the time the jacket will be in your pack. Also the quilt only has 4.5 oz of down. It has so little down and nylon it should be priced at $50, not $229. Probably the worst deal there is in backpacking gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
    So thats $548 to keep you warm down to 40 degrees. What a huge waste of money. The Nunatac Arc AT is only a 3/4 length bag, so you need to bring an extra down coat that you would only use only at night. The rest of the time the jacket will be in your pack. Also the quilt only has 4.5 oz of down. It has so little down and nylon it should be priced at $50, not $229. Probably the worst deal there is in backpacking gear.
    All wrong.A WM mitylite will last 25yr.Plus cover 2 unzipped with the right setup.So for 1 the cost is 14$ a year.

Folks.... love to bash good gear.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    All wrong.A WM mitylite will last 25yr.Plus cover 2 unzipped with the right setup.So for 1 the cost is 14$ a year.

Folks.... love to bash good gear.
    Arizona is talking about the quilt/down sweater combo, not the WM bag. I don't think anyone here would badmouth WM products

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Arizona is talking about the quilt/down sweater combo, not the WM bag. I don't think anyone here would badmouth WM products
    It's ok, Slow wasn't talking about the mitylite originally either, he was talking about an 8 oz quilt, the only commercial one I could find was the nunatuk. Slow was changing his example from an 8oz quilt to a 26oz WM so that he could say it was "all wrong"

Images

I got mine and used it once 50 degree night and only used it as a blanket sleeping on my therm-a-rest. Never got cold
    WalkingStick"75"

It's ok, Slow wasn't talking about the mitylite originally either, he was talking about an 8 oz quilt, the only commercial one I could find was the nunatuk. Slow was changing his example from an 8oz quilt to a 26oz WM so that he could say it was "all wrong"
    Wrong again.

My Nunatak ghost (custom with an ounce less down for summer use) weighs in at 12.7 oz, is a size medium (full length for me), and is one of the best pieces of backpacking gear I own. I've stayed warm under it down to around freezing with a light down jacket, base layer top & pants, and light weight insulated pants. The neat thing is I can wake up in the morning and still be wearing part of my warmth with this system, and wear the jacket and pants around camp for cool evenings. If it's warmer, I simply leave the jacket at home, but camping in the mountains, I nearly always bring a jacket. Evenings, nights, and early mornings can be cool even in June or August.

I had a cheap Mountain Hardwear sleeping bag I hated, never kept me warm, and it was a huge waste of $70.

I won't knock anyone who can't spend the money for whatever reason on more expensive gear, and I'd certainly agree with Mister Krabs it is better to have a cheap bag and take the kids, but in general you get what you pay for with sleeping bags/quilts. If a $36 bag meets the needs you have great, but for most people hiking the mountains, it isn't going to be warm enough for any but the very hottest few weeks of mid-summer.

Quote Originally Posted by slow View Post
    All wrong.A WM mitylite......
    Hey Slow, I never mentioned anything about WM.
    I wish you would actually read people's posts before you criticize and tell them they are wrong.

As for Lafuma, I like their stuff. Never had any problems with it. But, I wouldn't buy it from REI. There are online sellers that almost always have better prices than REI.

Hey Slow, I never mentioned anything about WM.
    I wish you would actually read people's posts before you criticize and tell them they are wrong.

As for Lafuma, I like their stuff. Never had any problems with it. But, I wouldn't buy it from REI. There are online sellers that almost always have better prices than REI.
    You talked high end gear down $ wise...so i just used WM as a example.

You can be as cheap as you want and that's fine.But i will have my bags for 25 yrs.

i used mine to the high thirties with a VBL.

Images

Love this lafuma bag in the summer. I have used it down to 38° wearing silk long johns inside, and I am cold sleeper. Mine has a couple dozen trail nights on it and looks to be holding up well.

Images

Is this really a good bag? I mean, a sleeping bag that packs to the size of a nalgene, for this price??? There must be a catch!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ShelterLeopard View Post
    Is this really a good bag? I mean, a sleeping bag that packs to the size of a nalgene, for this price??? There must be a catch!!!
    There is, it's only for summer use, like lows in the 50's. Summer in the south for me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++