WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I like the concept but at 2.2 pounds, this thing weighs more than twice as much as my backpack.
    Like I said, I use it mostly for "luxury/photog" trips. Nothing beats it for carrying heavy camera equipment. And you have the bonus of having access to other stuff too.

I have used it on "regular" trips to see if the redistribution was worth the extra 2.2 pounds. I'm not sure the redistribution doesn't trump the extra weight. It's a close call.

Would I use it on a thru? I doubt it. But it's not too far off, especially if I was having shoulder issues.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

pants pockets.

i usually hike in either a pair of walmart swimming trunks or a pair of campmor zipoff convertible pants. both have pockets, both regular ones and on the thigh. i can't help you with the GPS, but the other stuff can all go in a pocket... knife in front, bandana can be tied around the lower portion of one strap, whistle can go in a pocket or on a short "idiot cord" off your pack strap. i carry my camera (small Canon Powershot 560) in a breast or thigh pocket. i use a pin-on compass that goes on my left pack strap.

you might rig up something with bungi cords or velcro to attach the GPS or camera pouch(es) to a pack strap, sorta like soldiers used to carry their first aid packets, compasses, and flashlights on their LBE (load-bearing eqpt) suspenders.

you might also rig up a small GPS and/or camera pouch to attach to your waist belt (one on each side... like a pair of six-shooters!) leather's not that expensive, and you can make a snug pouch with leather, dental floss, and a nail... or maybe not. but you know someone who could, i'm sure, if you're not that handy. you can get scraps of leather at any feed store that repairs saddles, and they also sell those little copper rivets for about a dime each, maybe less... you wouldn't even have to sew then... just make a hole and pound a rivet together...

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Have you considered an Aarn backpack? Quite a few folks over at Hammock Forums have them and swear by 'em.

"If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Have you considered an Aarn backpack? Quite a few folks over at Hammock Forums have them and swear by 'em.
    Similar to the Syncpack in redistribution.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

i personally enjoy taking my pack off when i grab a snack (usually every 2 hours). i just put my "snacks" into a grocery bag in the very top of my pack. i also use that time to look at my maps for the upcoming few hours. like someone else said i keep my 'frequent use" items in my water bottle pockets since i use a bladder (this would be steripen, shamwow, deet, and my fuel/windscreen). the fuel isn't a 'frequent use' item, but i don't like keeping that inside my pack

my camera is in a camera case that simply clips through my waistbelt on my aether 70. it is right at my waist when i need it (dead center), but out of the way when going uphill. i can't stand having **** all around my waist or in my pockets when i'm hiking
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

go to your local army navy surplus store, look at all the types of magazine carriers. most are made to keep your ammo clean and dry,,,yet easy to get to. i carry a b/p cuff and other quick supplies in them and have them on my jump bag.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    I like the concept but at 2.2 pounds, this thing weighs more than twice as much as my backpack.

For a belly bag, I have a silnylon one (couple ounces) I bought from Dancing Light Gear (Brawny & Rainmaker). Before they stopped selling them, I bought a second one, so I'm good for years. It's pretty simple and I don't know why someone handy with a seeing machine couldn't put one together.

I put my backpack on first and then the belly bag. Works fine for me.
    You got a picture of that belly pack, cause I'm quite handy with the sewing machine and I wanna make one!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++