Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Just Lisa,
    You are welcome. If you are a candidate for this procedure I highly recommend it.If I had to do it again I would, no 2nd thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaenelle View Post
    I use Diva on and off the trail and highly recommend it.
    You are right! I use it too and satisfied with it very much!
    I like funny computer wallpaper

Please show mercy on me as I'm a guy.

Having said that I have a DVD called 'Ladies on the Loose'. There is a section for women only where this topic is discussed. These girls have ridden motorcycles around the world. It would appear that the search for Tampons in India is a never ending quest.

One girl recommeded these: http://www.mum.org/seaspong.htm

Tiffany's Web Site: http://www.tiffanystravels.co.uk/node/24

I hope this helps.

daryl

Default What works on the trail...

I'm planning on thru-hiking between May and June 2010 and what works for your period?

I have heard about diva cups and just packing in and out tampons...

Is there any kind of birth control that works. My problem is that mine are very irregular and I think that the trail will probably screw them up even more. Any ideas?

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Actually if they are irregular, this might be the time to talk to your gyno about pills to regulate it. But honestly, the cycle gets messed up anyway with the stress of hiking etc. I never knew when mine would hit.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Quote Originally Posted by dlh62c View Post
    Please show mercy on me as I'm a guy.

Having said that I have a DVD called 'Ladies on the Loose'. There is a section for women only where this topic is discussed. These girls have ridden motorcycles around the world. It would appear that the search for Tampons in India is a never ending quest.

One girl recommeded these: http://www.mum.org/seaspong.htm

Tiffany's Web Site: http://www.tiffanystravels.co.uk/node/24

I hope this helps.

daryl

seasponge tampons are an excellant product, they are just natural sea sponges that you cut to size tie a piece of floss on them if you are worried about "losing" them. I would not recomend them to anyone with a heavy flow. They do need to be washed out with water that you are certain is clean, where as a cup could be emptied and wiped down with tissue. Seasponges also need to be replaced every 6 months or so as they degrade. I do like the cups better(diva, lunette) but some people never get used to the feel of them.

note, only use sea sponges labeled as fit for this use, no craft store bargins. I belive the sea pearl brand only cost 12 or 13 bucks for a pair that's less than 6 monthes of tampons costs and much better for the planet.

I just finished my thru-hike and I also cycled through (not taking that last row) my birth control pills and didn't get my period at all (no spotting) in the 6 months it took me to hike the trail. I started cycling through them 2 or 3 months before leaving for the trail to make sure it would work alright. I was SO GLAD I did this...no messing with products or even having to worry about the chance of getting it. I highly recommend it.
    The physician heals, nature makes well

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Please don't take this as my being negative - it's not meant that way but I know tone is hard to tell in forums... I'm curious as to what long-term issues or side-effects can be caused by doing this... if there even are any. Is there any information about the effects of stopping your periods on purpose in this manner?

On stopping periods with hormones, most US Drs consider it to be safe if the woman can take hormones. A woman doesn't need to have a period - or to ovulate to be healthy - so if one can get used to not having it, it is a an idea to consider.
    So...talk to your Gyn about it - to see if it could be right for you. (Not me though! No likey hormones!)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Did a little research...

Jerilynn C. Prior, MD, professor of endocrinology and metabolism at the University of British Columbia, takes a different view -- especially when women stop menstruating for the sake of convenience.

"I think that the normal menstrual cycle is absolutely crucial to women's health. My perspective is that the normal menstrual cycle is incredibly complex, it's created from the brain, and it serves a general health purpose, not just a reproductive purpose." She says that normal menstruation has beneficial effects on women's bone and cardiovascular health.
    Anyway, it's interesting. From everything I read this morning it seems that there has been little research as to long term effects of the increased hormones. It isn't something I am about to do. I don't take the pill because of associated health risks.

It's not something I would do forever, but my doctor definitely recommended it for a 6 month trip.
    The physician heals, nature makes well

Another possible birth control option to control your period is the depo shots. One shot every 3 months, and most women stop having periods while they are on it. I would start it 6 months (at least) before you plan to start your hike. Having said that, it doesn't work for everyone; some women are absolutely miserable on it, and/or end up having an almost continuous period and/or random spotting. You would also have to carry a prescription and figure out some place to get a shot (or two) during your six months of hiking. (Planned Parenthood?)

I was on this for several years, and it worked very well for me. I went off it last November though, and still haven't really gotten my period back. May be other factors at work there though. Just FYI.

May be something to talk to your GYN about anyway.

Default mirena

wont work for everyone.. but...

6.5 years ago started using one after having some issues with 3 weeks of straight bleeding. Doctor suggested since i wasnt planning on having kids anytime soon. they last for 5 years, have a light hormone and pretty much eliminate any flow. just got my second one placed earlier this year. very small piece of flexible plastic. no periods, no pads, no worries, no problems.

just a thought.

whats going on everyone. i totally agree with yall i hate being on my period while camping but i havent been on my period yet while i was camping. i also hate halfing to get up in middle of the nite to use the bathrm while camping. its funny how that is cause i dont half to get up in the middle of the nite to use the bathroom. but when i go camping i always half to use the bathrm in the middle of the nite oh that sucks.
    anyway ttyl

Images

I leave mine at home, sorry, could not resist.

Hi ladies,

If you still have questions about hiking during your period check out this article:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Hike-During-Your-Period

Happy Trails!

My favorite solution is don't have my period. I have a condition called endometriosis that causes extreme menstrual pain all month long, even when I'm not on my period. i found that birth control completely controls this pain by balancing my estrogen. There are enough form of birth control out there that if you have a really painful period like i do, or need to go without a couple visits from nature, all you have to do is take a pill. I tend to skip periods anyway while hiking because I'm using up so many calories a day that my body can't even imagine getting pregnant.
    Rhapsodist

I normally use a Diva Cup, but on my thru-hike I took the Pill straight through and just skipped my period. I had no problems with spotting, but I might suggest that you start a couple of months before leaving if you are not sure how you will react to it.

The longest time I hiked any distance was for 3 weeks.

I solved the problem, by going on birth control pills, and my periods were reduced in half the length of time. Also hiking the tampons out is the easiest way to deal with this situation. Don't make it a big deal...just roll with it and all will be well.

if you arent on any pills the many elevation changes may bring on periods more often than once a month. Also this strenuous exercise may knock out your periods altogether.....just be prepared for whatever the case maybe.

Good luck

Ohmeringue

(Using husband's account)
    I am on Implanon, which decreased my period. Once I started hiking it actually stopped for most of my thru. We took a week off in DC and I got my period again. I packed everything out in ziplocs.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++