Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Images

Default What do you do with your period on the trail?

I'm NoBoing next year, and the absolute worst thing is dealing with used tampons. I've always been taught to pack them out in a paper bag inside a plastic bag. So I assume this means I shouldn't put them in the privies or six inches under ground? What do you do about this?

Images

There have been a lot of threads with great tips on this subject. Do a search and you'll find all the info you need.

But first, check out: www.divacup.com Takes some getting used to, but I highly recommend it. I even use it off the trail, too, I love it so much.

I use Diva on and off the trail and highly recommend it.

put them at the end of every sentence, unless it's a question. (sorry...couldn't resist.)

Slowest Hiker On Earth

i put em in a plastic bag inside a plastic bag inside a plastic bag and then in a dark colored stuff sack. toss when get to town.

I thought it would be a big deal but it's really not.

Images

I went backpacking exactly once while on my period. I hated it. I have a very very heavy flow and have to use a pad (heavy duty overnight) and the most "super" of tampons. The tampons literally fell out from the flow every hour. If I were going back on the trail for more than a month I'd go back on the Pill full time - no skipping a week. For me it was misery and extremely uncomfortable to have to try to duck into cover every hour and then get up several times during the night. They don't make a Diva cup large enough.
    "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."

Please don't put 'em in the privy! Or in the ground. Once the rest of the crap in there decomposes, tampons and wet wipes are still there. Which is actually even less fun for the person dealing with the privy than it sounds.

Slowest Hiker On Earth

I thought wet wipes were disposable....well the flushable kind anyways?
    I guess I was wrong?

I found some biodegradable 'field wipes' at Walmart in the hunting section. They have a picture on the back that shows them decomposing in a matter of days. They're the only thing other than toilet paper I'd throw in a privy. Not too expensive, either.

As far as tampons/pads, I carry the o.b. tampons without the applicator so there's less bulk in my pack and less garbage to pack out. I use the odor-blocking bags that Ursack makes, inside a colored stuff sack, for disposal.
    "Too much civilization around here! Remember when the woods used to be woods, Harry?"

Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I have very heavy flow and stand by the Diva Cup 500%! I was a real skeptic and didn't even want to try one.... now, at home or on the trail, you couldn't get me to use any other method of dealing with my period. I cleanse it once a day with an alcohol swab and I use wet wipes to freshen up. Even if my period isn't due when I head to the wilderness it always seems like it decides to switch dates on me.... so having the Diva in my toiletries bag all the time is much more compact than having the bulk of tampons or pads. It doesn't leak with my heavy flow and it is very comfortable.... not to mention you can wear it for up to 12 hours.

Images

I use the Diva, too, and love it...mostly. The first couple of days are so heavy that I have to use a pad backup and cleaning up is really messy. It's the same no matter what I use, so I stick with my Diva. Since my third child, the whole thing has been a PITA to deal with, on trail or off. Luckily I haven't had a conflict between heavy days and a chance to go hiking for the past few years. For slower days, the Diva and baby wipes work great.
    We'll have to go out through the kitchen.

Not a fan of Diva or Keeper. They don't make them in enough sizes for everyone to get a good fit with them. Once when I was trying to insert the Keeper in the "folded" style given in the instructions it sprang open when it was only half-way in. It was like getting kicked with steel-toed boots in your hoo-ha. Never. Again.

Tampons work fine for me. I use a feminine wipe to clean up and put the whole thing in a double-bagged baggie with baking soda in the inner bag. No problems.

it's very simple. pack your tampons out in a ziplock bag.

I took the pill straight through-skipping the "off week" and going straight to the next month's supply. I spotted the first month and then didn't have a period until I wanted to when I got back. The pill is great that way. As for the tampons and/or pads, another option is burning them, though you need a hot fire. I also don't think your shelter mates would appreciate it that much. So, pack them out.

Images

I pre-cut pieces of aluminum foil to take with me and wrap the pads and tampons in that, then baggie. I have a very heavy flow the first two days as well, so I try to plan my zero days for the heavy days.
    "It was on the first of May, in the year 1769, that I resigned my domestic happiness for a time, and left my family and peaceable habitation on the Yadkin River, in North Carolina, to wander through the wilderness of America." - Daniel Boone

I had a very heavy flow for the past 10 years and have been very involved in the outdoors with a Scout Troop and decided this way no way to continue. While at an annual exam I saw an advertisement for this www.novasure.com. I asked my doctor about it and within a few weeks I had the procedure done. This has been one of the best things I have done for my well being. Not recommended if you are still planning on having a family.

Images

There are alot on the female thread on this. If you use poducts, pack them out.

Always pack out tampons or pads. Ditty Cassies double bagged baggies w/baking soda.

Should you switch to a menstrual cup practice at home with it first before using on trail. Leakage is occasionally an issue for newbies.

I must be the only person in the world who can't get along with the Diva Cup. I've been using one for several months now because I had planned to use on my thru-hike next year, and there is just way too much flow and leakage for me to be comfortable depending on it...I'll still keep trying though! I want to thank Clumseybear for the info on Novasure...Based on what I just read about it, I appear to be a very good candidate for this procedure given my age and what I have to deal with every month..thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Lisa View Post
    I must be the only person in the world who can't get along with the Diva Cup. I've been using one for several months now because I had planned to use on my thru-hike next year, and there is just way too much flow and leakage for me to be comfortable depending on it...I'll still keep trying though! I want to thank Clumseybear for the info on Novasure...Based on what I just read about it, I appear to be a very good candidate for this procedure given my age and what I have to deal with every month..thanks.
    You're not alone. It took me 4 cycles to get it working right.

My technique has to include a quarter turn to get it popped open and fitting right. A liner is still necessary on the heavy days, just in case.

Still better than Tampax.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++