WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

Tofu... tofu and more tofu. Did I say tofu? lol - today I am trying several tofu based dishes and a silken tofu/fruit dessert that I picked up at the local market.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    Tofu... tofu and more tofu. Did I say tofu? lol - today I am trying several tofu based dishes and a silken tofu/fruit dessert that I picked up at the local market.

I don't get it, Tofu is great for protein & energy, but positively tasteless. So send over your favorite recipe so I can try it, I don't mind giving it another shot.

Also I am lousy when sticking to six to ten hours- the last batch went way over so I am going to grab a AC light timer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

WOO, yes tofu is tasteless, until you add your flavoring.....try your own the one you printed earlier. i bet you would love it then......
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Journal Entries
    Images

You mean the Jerky Sauce.... uhh I don't know.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

yes the jerky sauce, then you have tofu jerky....
    Peanuts (aka i.j.)
    "A womans place its on the trail"

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    I don't get it, Tofu is great for protein & energy, but positively tasteless. So send over your favorite recipe so I can try it, I don't mind giving it another shot.

Also I am lousy when sticking to six to ten hours- the last batch went way over so I am going to grab a AC light timer.
    If these rehydrate okay and survive this second round of testing then I'll post them. I'm pretty picky about things. I'm doing some breakfast meals and the tofu isn't the only ingredient - good thing because you are right... it's pretty tasteless albeit a great carrier for other flavors.

I'm also playing around with rice and soy "cheese" today.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well I got a pack of Firm Tofu, and with different thicknesses, soaked in the jerky, well I will let you know.

Woo

tofu tasteless? you just don't have enough tofu eating experience or sensitivity of palate to discern the subtle taste. don't criticize something that you've set yourself up to be let down by. stop eating the rich over powered tasting foods and let your taste buds regain their sensitivity.

TOFU RULEZ.

www.donthatethetofu.com

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji View Post
    tofu tasteless? you just don't have enough tofu eating experience or sensitivity of palate to discern the subtle taste. don't criticize something that you've set yourself up to be let down by. stop eating the rich over powered tasting foods and let your taste buds regain their sensitivity.

TOFU RULEZ.

www.donthatethetofu.com
    Out of the box - tasteless!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdHSZ0Kj9jM

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by wise Old Owl View Post
    Right!?!?!?!

Images

Tofu is very mild and somewhat neutral in taste which is why it makes such a great vehicle for stronger flavors. I adore silken tofu blended with puree of mango and peach. Totally delish... almost like a cross between a pudding and a yogurt but without the tang of yogurt.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well its been 8 hours and most of barbeque sauce fell off the bottom and the thicker sliced tofu is rubbery, so I guess a very thin slice and brushed on is the way to go.

Giving the thicker slices another hour or two.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Well its been 8 hours and most of barbeque sauce fell off the bottom and the thicker sliced tofu is rubbery, so I guess a very thin slice and brushed on is the way to go.

Giving the thicker slices another hour or two.
    You might want to press the tofu first (slice in 1/4 inch slices, then lay on paper towels and weigh down with something heavy) before marinading. It will soak up more of the sauce that way.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well thats a good idea and the rubbery texture dissappeared. Turned out acceptable for a first try Austin said it was pretty good and I hadn't told him it was tofu and thats a lot from him, he's very picky.

The brown sugar was reduced and more Bulls Eye and a tablespoon of Crystal Hot sauce did not overpower it.

Woo

Today is lentil stew. Lots and lots of lentil stew...

Here we go again... I'm doing some experimenting and I have a speaking gig on Friday, so I'm running the dehydrator full bore.

3 trays minestrone soup (sans pasta)
    2 trays refried black beans
    1 tray oyster mushrooms.

Quote Originally Posted by Dicentra View Post
    Here we go again... I'm doing some experimenting and I have a speaking gig on Friday, so I'm running the dehydrator full bore.

3 trays minestrone soup (sans pasta)
    2 trays refried black beans
    1 tray oyster mushrooms.
    Wish I could go with you this weekend - be an awesome drive Have fun and drive safe!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

I'm drying more tofu today... uber-top-secret-new-recipe-idea-round-three... if it works out the 3rd time I will be so excited!

Images

If our camp chefs and food drying experts have anything to say about pawpaws, we are still waiting for your contributions to Pawpaws, a thread about, you guessed it, pawpaws. If you don't know nothin' 'bout pawpaws stop by anyway, you might just learn something.

In WhiteBlaze's Cooking and Food forum, thread titles are chosen to send people seeking information in the right direction. We don't believe in hiding useful information here.

Images

So... rehydration test this morning and I think my-uber-top-secret-new-recipe-idea (which I will tell you is a take on a smoothie - just don't let anyone know) is going to work. Wish me luck!

I also discovered, purely by accident, a new egg replacer. I'm making muffins with it later today so if it works I'll share the find.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
++ New Posts ++