WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping Bag decision

I have talked to the guy at the north face, and he seemed to think that a 20 degree bag would suffice for the entirety of the trail. I am leaning towards a 15 degree bag to start with (starting around march 1) and then get a 30 degree somewhere along the line for the warmer days. what do some others think?

why dont you get a thirty to twenty five degree bag prefferably down. and if you need something warmer get a liner. and in the summer time when it gets real hot send the bag home and just use the liner. then when it gets cold again have the bag mail dropped to you. the more stuff you buy the more stuff you carry and if you finish the more you waste money on. some learn from watching the man pee on the electric fence some just have to do it for themselves. i myself was part of the latter
    a happy boddhitsva

yeah, i had another friend who is rahter knowledgeable tell me that a 30 degree bag would be good for the entirety. but i would definatley not carry both bags should i start with the 15 then switch to the 30 degree bag. id mail the other home and get it sent back in the late summer. i tend to sleep cold and think i may be a little uncomfortable when the temp hits 20 in early march, should i have a 30 degree bag. but i suppose i could get some sort of liner...

I prefer down bags myself, as long as you treat them well and keep em dry. The 15* vs the 20* shouldn't be a big difference, you'll be fine with either. Starting out early in March as a cold sleeper, i'd recommend those over the 30*. If checking out diff brands, make sure to look at reviews and fill count since one company's 20* may be more true than another's.

Garlic
    Images

If you start in early March, I agree that 20F or lower should be taken. I started early April with a 15F and was very glad I did. I already had the 15, then I bought a 45F down bag for $160 for the summer and was glad I did that, too. If you have the money, I don't think you'll regret having two bags for the AT. If you don't have the money, I agree that it could be hiked with one 20F bag with a few cold nights in there (or bail out to town and spend the bag money for lodging). Get a bag with a full zip and if it's down, get one without side baffles so you can shift the down to the bottom on warm nights. Or you could use it upside-down.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I agree with garlic08. If you have the money, having two separate bags would be much better. A liner doesn't really add all that much warmth. And a 30 degree bag (depending on the accuracy of the rating) is still probably too warm for summer months in the mid-atlantic area.

If you have to go with one bag for financial reasons, getting a bag roomy enough that you can layer an insulated jacket and pants (or heavier warm fleece) is a better option in my opinion than a liner. That way you have warm camp wear too.

That said, there is really nothing like some good practice trips to figure out what works best for YOU. It might not be what works best for someone else.

PS. Some The North Face Bags don't seem to be accurately rated, along with those of many different manufacturer's. In general the less expensive bags rate their temperatures 'optimistically'. You may want to post the specific bag you are considering here for input from others.

I am currently looking at a mountain hardwear ultralamina 15F synthetic bag. some of the reviews i have read on it seem to show that the bag is pretty reliable when the temp his around 20F. any thoughts?

Two bags, sure one will "work" but that usually means you will be too cold in the south and too hot in the mid-atlantic.

I would start with something like a 15-20, switch out to a 35-40, back to the warmer bag in the whites.

Sleeping bags are not the place to save money in my experience.

Not sure why you want synth. but for the same basic cost, if that is driver, look at the Marmot 600 fill bags, like the sawtooth. Same weight, temp ratings, packs smaller, and IMO, down bags are warmer. But I am down bias guy, lol. Or you could go lighter weight, same warmth by opening up your wallet wider, with WM, feathered friends, Montbell down bags. I agree on spending money for a good bag. Hot is good, lol, you can always cool off, but going the other way is never easy.

Two bags vs. one, I am kinda on the fence, never having gone on a thru hike. I can see the weight savings, but then you need two bag cash layout, and you are saving maybe 1.5 pounds max. If you buy really nice bag first, less weight than that is saved. No postage/shipping hassle, twice, and you will never be cold. I have a 15 degree Montbell, and use it all the time. Just unzip and quilt for warm nights. I think down is better at temp reguation when warm then synth.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Get a Western Mountaineering bag, and a 30 degree will work, and be lighter. Add a TiGoat bivy if you needed more warmth, and it would still be lighter than a synthetic.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by buz View Post
    Not sure why you want synth. but for the same basic cost, if that is driver, look at the Marmot 600 fill bags, like the sawtooth. Same weight, temp ratings, packs smaller, and IMO, down bags are warmer. But I am down bias guy, lol. Or you could go lighter weight, same warmth by opening up your wallet wider, with WM, feathered friends, Montbell down bags. I agree on spending money for a good bag. Hot is good, lol, you can always cool off, but going the other way is never easy.

Two bags vs. one, I am kinda on the fence, never having gone on a thru hike. I can see the weight savings, but then you need two bag cash layout, and you are saving maybe 1.5 pounds max. If you buy really nice bag first, less weight than that is saved. No postage/shipping hassle, twice, and you will never be cold. I have a 15 degree Montbell, and use it all the time. Just unzip and quilt for warm nights. I think down is better at temp reguation when warm then synth.
    If you have the resources, you will be more comfortable and carry less weight, if you opt for two bags.

I would also encourage you to get a down bag. Generally they are lighter, more compressible, and (this is important but doesn't get mentioned much) are much more breathable. This latter trait makes the bag more comfortable at the high end of the temperature range. You will feel less confined and sticky if you get too warm in a down bag. Also, while the "insulates when wet" argument for synthetic has some validity, it is over-played in my experience. A down bag does not suddenly become a sodden pancake with one or even two or three wet nights. It is a gradual degradation of insulating quality. Take advantage of dry breezy weather to air out and dry your bag everyday, and you should be good to go. If you get stuck in a five-day rain and your tent fails you, or you fall into a creek and didn't have your bag adequately protected (your fault) you may need to stop at a laundry to dry out the bag - not much of a problem for most of the AT.

All that being said, if you still think you need a synthetic, take a look at PrimaLoft for the insulation. Light, compresses quite well, and drapes well. Best synthetic in my experience.

Most important thing - HAVE FUN!!!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Get a Western Mountaineering bag, and a 30 degree will work, and be lighter. Add a TiGoat bivy if you needed more warmth, and it would still be lighter than a synthetic.

Ditto. Western Mountaineering backs are conservatively rated adn the ti goat bivy it 6 ounces and adds 10ish degrees

No one can tell you what will work for you, people can only make suggestions.

What people should be saying is "I have a 30 degree Western Mountaineering bag with a TiGoat bivy and it worked well for me"

The rating of a sleeping bag is important but is only one factor, you also need to consider:
    - sleeping in a tent?
    - wearing a hat?
    - good ground insulation?
    - sleeping in a shelter?
    - gender?
    - good or bad circulation?
    - wind?
    - elevation?
    - hydrated?
    - body weight?
    - well fed or hungry?
    - hot or cold sleeper?

Like others have said, you can unzip a hot bag, but if you are cold you are in for a long night, and a long day of hiking with no sleep.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

My son did fine with a 20 degree Cats Meow. But we also took a liner and he did use it a few times.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Default March 2nd Start

I started March 2nd and after receiving recommendations from several people on here I went with the Campmor 20 degree bag. It worked great but at trail days I went ahead and got a Lafuma 45 degree bag for the summer ($69). I also have a silk liner and I am loving it. About 10 other hikers did the same thing as I and I am still hiking with most of them and none of them have any complaints. I sleep in a Hammock and the 20 degree bag was perfect for me.

++ New Posts ++