WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Angry vasque sundowners

i would like some feedback...

bought a pair of vasque sundowners about a year/year 1/2 ago. wore them around the city during winter to break them in...no problems with them. went out on the trail last summer (hiked about 60 miles): blisters on my heel & toes, 3 bruised toenails (nails fell off), upper right side of boot dug into my ankle so i had to wear a bandanna or something around it to relieve the pain.

thought maybe they weren't broken in enough, so wore them around the city again during winter.

went out in them for the first time on the trail this season: SAME THING.

the outfitter i bought them from told me to bring them in & if they decide the boots are defective, they'll give me credit toward new ones.

does this sound like defective boots to you?

(yes, i have tried insoles, double socks/liners, different lacing, etc...)

Images

They are defective for your feet.

You would not be the first person that this happened to. Your feet need something else.
    Good luck.

As soon as you find something that does work, keep in mind that manufacturers like to change stuff once they find out it is a good and desirable product.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post

As soon as you find something that does work, keep in mind that manufacturers like to change stuff once they find out it is a good and desirable product.

BOY!!! Ain't that the truth!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joneshiker View Post
    i would like some feedback...

blisters on my heel & toes, 3 bruised toenails (nails fell off), upper right side of boot dug into my ankle so i had to wear a bandanna or something around it to relieve the pain.

does this sound like defective boots to you?

(i have tried insoles, double socks/liners, different lacing, etc...)
    I wouldn't say that they are defective. These boots simply do not fit you. City fit is not the same as mountain fit.

- blisters on toes and bruised nails = your feet are likely sliding forward on downhills and hitting the front. Feet also swell and elongate while hiking, so you may need a different size than your normal shoes.
    - blisters on heel = heel moving within the heel cup
    - the ankle dig sounds like the cuff is laced too tightly, likely in an effort to forestall the first two problems

How much time did you spend on fitting when you first bought them? I would suggest visiting a reputable outfitter with a large boot selection. Call ahead and find out who is the best boot-fitter on the staff. Take the socks you usually wear, and expect to spend a few hours there. Make sure that you try the boots on a steep ramp, to see if your feet slide and move inside the boot.
    Jaywalke
    SW Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by mudhead View Post
    It happened with Vasque Sundowners. About ten years ago I graduated from the sneaker boots of that vintage to leather boots. I got a pair of Sundowners and wore them out 1,500 miles of hiking later, so I got another. Not as grippy, just didn't feel right on the feet. What gives? The old ones were made in Italy. New ones were made in China. Looked and were called the same. Weren't quite the same.

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    It happened with Vasque Sundowners. About ten years ago I graduated from the sneaker boots of that vintage to leather boots. I got a pair of Sundowners and wore them out 1,500 miles of hiking later, so I got another. Not as grippy, just didn't feel right on the feet. What gives? The old ones were made in Italy. New ones were made in China. Looked and were called the same. Weren't quite the same.
    Same thing happened to me and my wife. We both bought Sundowners at the same store at the same time and went on the same long hike. After 600 miles, hers looked like new and mine were falling apart. Looking closely, you could see minor differences in materials and construction. Though not literally defective, I still got a refund, but only because I could show the difference. She must have gotten the last of the Italians ones, I got the first of the Chinese.

Anyway, it sounds like you have more fit problems than quality problems. Good luck getting a resolution.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I did a day-hike this weekend with my Sundowners. Finished the first 5-mile loop, and stopped off at the car. My feet were killing me. I happened to have my new-balance 803's in the car, so I did the next 6.5 miles in them. Needless to say, footwear makes all the difference. Not only did my feet stop hurting, but I wasn't nearly as fatigued (on steeper terrain even).

Images

I got mine eight years ago. Never a blister or problem. But they don't work for everyone.

I got my Sundowner MX2's back in 2001, which apparently was one of the last years they were made in Italy. They were fantastic boots! Now its 8 years later and the heel is completely worn out and it looks like I will need a new pair, but damnit they don't make the MX2's anymore! Anyone have similar success with the Asolo 520s?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I got my Sundowner MX2's back in 2001, which apparently was one of the last years they were made in Italy. They were fantastic boots! Now its 8 years later and the heel is completely worn out and it looks like I will need a new pair, but damnit they don't make the MX2's anymore! Anyone have similar success with the Asolo 520s?
    davepagecobbler.com can more than likely get them back up and running. Er, uh walking.
    What? Me worry??

Images

The thought of leather against skin just doesn't compute for me anymore . . . been there, done that, and declined the T-shirt. Trail runners for me, any day, all day, everyday.

Images

i dont know, the boots just dont fit your feet. i have a pair of sundowners that i bought about a year ago, the things feel great the quality is good, the fit is comfy and they still look great... just have to keep trying different stuff until you find what fits your feet.

Try www.resole.com

Resole America
    6876 Watson Court
    Warrenton, VA 20187

I had a pair of big expensive leather boots for a long time. I had no problems walking around the city in them and even on simple 1-2 day hikes my feet were fine. Then after 30 miles of climbing up and down mountains in GA I could not walk. The blisters on my feet were HUGE and I thought my hike was over. Mountain Crossings hooked me up with a pair of trail runners and since that point I have been a complete convert.

There is a difference between what looks good versus what works well. For me my days of wearing leather boots are behind me and I have moved onto a pair of trail runners. I don't get blisters anymore and my feet feel so much better.

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    I'm using Asolo boots now, not sure of the model (since those aren't here at the computer), similar to the old Sundowners. They work pretty well for me, certainly better than the Chinese Sundowners, and almost as well as the old Italian ones.

And, just to annoy the trailrunner prophets, I also have USA made Hoffman Lineman Hikers - steel toe with steel shank. That's UL compared to the Red Wing logger boots I used to use - for trail work. Fit is much better since I took care to order them based on putting my feet on a Brannock Device after a ten mile dayhike.

Although I have decided my next set of outdoor footwear will be trailrunners of some sort. Another WB member in the area clued me into a store to go to. I just need justification for getting another pair of shoes when the closet already looks like a muddier version of Imelda Marcos's.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by NCYankee View Post
    I had a pair of big expensive leather boots for a long time. I had no problems walking around the city in them and even on simple 1-2 day hikes my feet were fine. Then after 30 miles of climbing up and down mountains in GA I could not walk. The blisters on my feet were HUGE and I thought my hike was over. Mountain Crossings hooked me up with a pair of trail runners and since that point I have been a complete convert.

There is a difference between what looks good versus what works well. For me my days of wearing leather boots are behind me and I have moved onto a pair of trail runners. I don't get blisters anymore and my feet feel so much better.
    Besides that, lifting 1 1/2 to 2 lbs on each foot every step is grueling on your legs. If the old adage that an ounce on your feet is like a pound on your back is correct, the differential weight between leather boots and trail runners is like adding 30 or more lbs to your pack!

Footwear is a completely personal thing though. My brother in law did the first 100 miles with us in combat boots... like full on, mid calf, zip up, black combat boots.

He didn't have a single foot problem.

The only answer is to try out a number of different things and use what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The thought of leather against skin just doesn't compute for me anymore . . .
    A lot of folks feel the same way and have moved on to wearing socks with their boots. I, for one, am sticking with sockless, and I refuse to wear pants under my leather chaps.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jester2000 View Post
    A lot of folks feel the same way and have moved on to wearing socks with their boots. I, for one, am sticking with sockless, and I refuse to wear pants under my leather chaps.
    I see where you got your trail name from.

Section Hiker, 625 miles & counting mooseboy's Avatar
    Images

I have a pair of those Sundowners too... and had a love/hate relationship. Got them mostly because so many AT hikers had used them. But I always used to blister very easily, and if it rained, forget about it! Blisters within an hour. And although the toebox was a perfect fit, I got a lot of heel slippage, resulting in that dreaded "back of the foot" blister. Even though the I still use them occasionally, but retired them as my long-term backpacking boot.

These days I hike in Asolo FSX 95's. I can't say enough good things about them! Only the most minor of blisters, even after an entire day of walking with the insides (and my socks) completely soaked.

Of course, knowing your lacing techniques can help a great deal too. Oh, and duct taping your known blister spots before they even get started.
    --There is always more uphill.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++