WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Family Guy was referring to the fabric. Epic is not that waterproof having a waterhead of about 800mm, about 50% less that the 1.1oz silnylon. I have had all night rain on my Lighthouse and stayed dry but it in a few occasions it has wetted out and started to drip (not mist) after only a few hours.
    Not sure if the temperature makes any difference because at times it held rather heavy rain.
    It does dry very quickly and breathes well , at least for me using it as a solo tent...
    Franco

Quote Originally Posted by taildragger View Post
    Just use a tarp from equinox, I can sleep plenty warm in it, and prefer it over my tarptent in non-mosquito season
    I have to say that I agree. Learning how to pitch a tarp correctly insures a dry night. Add one of those net-tents or net-bivies for buggy times of year, many have bathtub floors that helps isolate from a bad pitch.
    "If we had to pay to walk... we'd all be crazy about it."
    --Edward Payson Weston

My buddy has a Hubba Hubba tent and I really admire how fast he sets it up. Without the ground cloth however, rain does get inside from the bottom.

Can't figure out how to edit. But I had an a-frame pup tent when I was in Jr. High that was light quick and easy to put up. They don't make those anymore and I can't find mine. Sure wish I had it back. Maybe the attic........

Default Nostalgia

A word of caution here...
    Often memories and reality are at odds .
    When people mention how great/light/fast their 20-30 year old tent was , very rarely they do so on a side by side comparison with today's offerings .
    Franco

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AlabamaDan View Post
    My buddy has a Hubba Hubba tent and I really admire how fast he sets it up. Without the ground cloth however, rain does get inside from the bottom.
    What exactly do you mean? Do you mean rain splashes?

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    A word of caution here...
    Often memories and reality are at odds .
    When people mention how great/light/fast their 20-30 year old tent was , very rarely they do so on a side by side comparison with today's offerings .
    Franco
    Maybe so.

Quote Originally Posted by familyguy
    What exactly do you mean? Do you mean rain splashes?
    It was really a wet day and it just soaked up from underneath.

What do you guys know about a Tundra Dome Tent? I know a guy selling a used one?

The Family Guy was referring to the fabric. Epic is not that waterproof having a waterhead of about 800mm, about 50% less that the 1.1oz silnylon. I have had all night rain on my Lighthouse and stayed dry but it in a few occasions it has wetted out and started to drip (not mist) after only a few hours.
    Not sure if the temperature makes any difference because at times it held rather heavy rain.
    It does dry very quickly and breathes well , at least for me using it as a solo tent...
    Franco
    You are correct about Epic fabric not being completely waterproof. However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is.

For starters, I always carry the ground-cloth with me. If it gets to be more than a light rain, I setup the ground-cloth in a lean-to position, and the tent is just as waterproof as any other.

Even with the ground-cloth this thing still weighs in at around 3 pounds for a 2-person tent.

Just Hikin' Along
    Images

As the owner of 3 different TarpTents (Contrail, Rainbow, and Sublite Sil), and the previous owner of an Akto, I'd say this. With the Akto I found that it was much warmer, but required being well ventilated to prevent condensation... particularly in the colder seasons. In warmer weather I could never seem to get enough ventilation, which is where the TarpTent shines. The Akto is a great shelter, and you can plan on the actual trail weight being at least 3.5 pounds.

Red Beard
    "However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is. "

Funny that you have quoted my post but failed to read it or at least comprehend it.
    The Lighthouse was, with the Firstlight, the first tent on the market to use Epic. As a matter of fact I tested one of their prototypes that was made of a white Epic fabric, so yes I do know (as clearly stated in my post ) how Epic behaves.
    Franco

Images

Red Beard
    "However, unless you own this tent, I'm not so sure you ought to be commenting on just how waterproof it actually is. "

Funny that you have quoted my post but failed to read it or at least comprehend it.
    The Lighthouse was, with the Firstlight, the first tent on the market to use Epic. As a matter of fact I tested one of their prototypes that was made of a white Epic fabric, so yes I do know (as clearly stated in my post ) how Epic behaves.
    Franco
    That picture sure shows how much room is actually in the Scarp, which I remind all is a 1 person tent whereas the Lighthouse is a 2 person tent. Oh, and the Scarp is waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyGuy View Post
    That picture sure shows how much room is actually in the Scarp, which I remind all is a 1 person tent whereas the Lighthouse is a 2 person tent. Oh, and the Scarp is waterproof.
    So do you want a medal or something? The tent works for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    So do you want a medal or something? The tent works for me.
    A medal? Who crapped in your cow feed this mornin'?

A medal? Who crapped in your cow feed this mornin'?
    Cow feed? Sorry, I'm not a cow, and I don't take kindly to folks calling me stupid, ie. reading comprehension problem, then trying to make me look stupid to boot. You really could have asked for clarification.

Yet, you and your partner choose throw up pictures of a tent I'm not even talking about (I realize that the lighthouse and hiLight are similar), but they aren't the same tent, no matter how much you want them to be. Oh, and just because you've "tested" a prototype of a tent, it doesn't mean squat. I've been in manufacturing long enough to know that as fab-processes change, so does the product.

You guys tried to make the point about size, but even tarptent.com states that the Scarp is a 1+ person tent. You're pretty much arguing symantics at this point. I've used my hiLight in downpours, as I described (ground cloth as a lean-to), and never got wet.

Additionally, I find the setup of the hiLight to be very simple. The only thing that weighs more (hiLight vs scarp 1) is the addition of the 5oz custom ground-cloth I use. If you tarp-tent fan-boys are happy with your gear, then great! Just don't think I'm going to applaud you two elitist pricks trying to take me for an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by alalskaman View Post
    I've been using a Tarptent squall for a while, and have been happy with it, especially with the approx. 2 lb weight. Never want to carry a heavy tent again. However, in a recent move, the tarptent was lost, and now I am tentless, except for a very heavy (5 lb 12 oz) dome tent.

My first thought was to simply replace the tarptent - perhaps with one of Henry's newer models. But on thinking it over, I'm wondering. The tarptent, for any such single-wall shelter, needs lots of ventilation because of the condensation issue. As a result, they are drafty suckers. So, to use my 32 deg sleepingbag anywhere near its rated temperature, I need to carry clothing I wouldn't wear on the trail...heavy long underwear, bed sox, etc.

So, I've been thinking about a Hilleberg Ako...roughly a pound more than my old tarptent, but being double wall, is probably a lot warmer, so I could leave the bedclothes at home and carry only what I actually wear on the trail and in camp. And have a pretty bomber tent...no splash or wind-blown rain issues. Cold, rain and wind are not unknown here in Alaska.

So, is there anything wrong with my thinking about this? Woud welcome any input from you-alls. Thanks.
    I've owned an Akto for 4 years, and it's poorly ventilated. There are no windows in the inner tent except for the small triangular vent in the top of the door. To achieve any reasonable ventilation you must leave both the vents in the outer fly wide open as well as the vestibule door and the inner door. In that mode it's hardly bugproof, and there's still considerable condensation inside of the fly and often inside the inner tent. In the middle of the winter it can't be beat for weight and strength, but it is not very good in the other three seasons. Henry's spinoff of the Akto design may be a better tent (for less money, too, I believe).

Other stuff:

http://www.alpinlitegear.com/

I saw this at Trail Days - very interesting:

http://lightheartgear.com/faq.html
    Last edited by Tinker; 07-06-2009 at 22:56. Reason: added link (and another)
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
    Cow feed? Sorry, I'm not a cow, and I don't take kindly to folks calling me stupid, ie. reading comprehension problem, then trying to make me look stupid to boot. You really could have asked for clarification.

Yet, you and your partner choose throw up pictures of a tent I'm not even talking about (I realize that the lighthouse and hiLight are similar), but they aren't the same tent, no matter how much you want them to be. Oh, and just because you've "tested" a prototype of a tent, it doesn't mean squat. I've been in manufacturing long enough to know that as fab-processes change, so does the product.

You guys tried to make the point about size, but even tarptent.com states that the Scarp is a 1+ person tent. You're pretty much arguing symantics at this point. I've used my hiLight in downpours, as I described (ground cloth as a lean-to), and never got wet.

Additionally, I find the setup of the hiLight to be very simple. The only thing that weighs more (hiLight vs scarp 1) is the addition of the 5oz custom ground-cloth I use. If you tarp-tent fan-boys are happy with your gear, then great! Just don't think I'm going to applaud you two elitist pricks trying to take me for an idiot.
    Take you for an Idiot? No, you have done that in quite an excellent fashion yourself. Nice job.

By the way, your HiLight isn't waterproof. Do you need proof? Ask Black Diamond.

Take you for an Idiot? No, you have done that in quite an excellent fashion yourself. Nice job.

By the way, your HiLight isn't waterproof. Do you need proof? Ask Black Diamond.
    Really? Well, if you could be so kind as to quote exactly where I wrote that "Epic fabric is 100% waterproof" I'd really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++