WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

only place I ever chafe is on my nipples when I wear cotton shirts and sweat. wet cotton is like sandpaper on your nipples! I end up having to cover them with band aids to prevent it.

strangely, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem

Quote Originally Posted by Dr O View Post
    only place I ever chafe is on my nipples when I wear cotton shirts and sweat. wet cotton is like sandpaper on your nipples! I end up having to cover them with band aids to prevent it.

strangely, I've never heard of anyone else having this problem
    It's pretty common with marathon runners. A lot them tape or band aid their nipples pre-race.

Kilts...solves all chafing problems for me.

geek

Images

A kilt is not going to solve your nipple problem unless you pull it up really high and then it creates other problems if you go commando...
    ---Where ever you go
    There you are---

Climber, caver, camper, canoeist since 1965

Scrotal tuck? Now THAT"S TMI!
    We don't stop hiking because we grow old, we grow old because we stop hiking. Finis Mitchell

Body Glide
    Pouch underwear
    Kilts seem interesting
    If you opt for bike tights, you may want to omit the seat pad (Chamois)

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lvleph View Post
    They are just like cycling shorts, except have a bit more room for you stuff. You just have to get the right kind. I have some that are really nice. My cycling shorts all have a chamois in them.
    I'm with LW what works for bicycles - isn't good for the trail. You are trapping the moisture and sweat and compounding the problem. On a bike some moisture would be blown away or evaporated. You want to stay as dry as possible, Even if it means stopping and removing the sweat with a camp towel.

The UA or generic mens compression answer in the second post is the best answer.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeps_With_Skunks View Post
    My hubby goes commando and uses gold bond to keep the chafing down. Boxer briefs help some when it gets really bad.

I get thigh chafe...and I found a little deodorant and gold bond keeps the chafing down. Haven't tried the body glide.
    Wow - that gives a whole new meaning to "Feel the Burn!" If you are already chafed that product will keep you hopping!

I have had chafe so bad it almost sent me to the doctor. It was a oozing mess of puss that hung in there for a month, so I know what works. If it doesn't clear up in a day or three -switch to Tinactin. Use it liberally.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

I forgot, last trip, the ONE time I had a problem, because I let it goo too long, a dash of Gold Bond [NOT THE FOOT POWDER!!] fixed it right up. Only needed it once, was glad I had it.

As to deoderant: I susupect just deoderant would keep the smell down, but what you may want to use is Anti Persperant to keep the moisture down. Some I know use anti persperant in winter to keep the feet dry. Just a thought! NOT something I would do.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Body glide in the day, gold bond once I hit camp. Dried baby wipes to keep things clean.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Body glide in the day, gold bond once I hit camp. Dried baby wipes to keep things clean.
    Dried baby wipes??? Do you add water to them pre use or use them as is? Are they reusable?
    I have to assume they work, so I won't ask that (I don't need any more "signs")
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

LW has the best preventative - compression shorts. Diaper creme is a great solution, easily found in any size town.

Chafing is at least as common among women. Usually, they will complain of a bad poison ivy rash, but a little conversation lets you know what is the problem. Other lubricants are probably just as good, just not as available in Hiawassee (for instance).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Dried baby wipes??? Do you add water to them pre use or use them as is? Are they reusable?
    I have to assume they work, so I won't ask that (I don't need any more "signs")
    Sometimes I add water, sometimes I don't. Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't.

Um, no they're not reusable.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mister krabs View Post
    Sometimes I add water, sometimes I don't. Sometimes ya feel like a nut, sometimes ya don't.

Um, no they're not reusable.

Way too much TMI for one weekend.

Woo

Leg length is key when using boxer-briefs. Compression shorts can squeeze your butt cheeks together, leading to chafing there. I hate spending top dollar on name brand gear, but Under Armor 9" heat gear boxer jocks worked for me. They aren't compression shorts, but are long and tight enough so that they won't ride up and make the chafing worse. The pouch is ventilated somewhat, and hold your boys so that they don't rub against anything. I have tried copies from Target and Walmart and they don't work for me.

Lose some weight. Problem solved.

bodyglide worked for me

Just walk like you've been riding a horse all day, that should fix that problem.
    Not all those who wander are lost.

Default Desitin to the rescue!

Went for a simple two nighter on the A.T. from Spring to Woody Gap with my daughter and 13 yr old son. By Sunday morning me and the boy were walking like a bo-legged cow boy with a cob up his butt! Stoped off at CVS on the way home and got some Desitn and 1 hour later all is right ( and no longer red and swollen) with the world. So, I do not know if Desitin will PREVENT the chafing issue, but I can promise you it will fix it once the chafing has begun.

Quote Originally Posted by leeki pole View Post
    Lose some weight. Problem solved.
    Not true! I am 6' 200 lbs and less than 18% b.f. So I am NOT over weight. Careful what kind of remarks you make unless you know the facts. FYI.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++