WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ramen Noodle recipes?

Hey Guys
    I know some love them and some hate them but any of you have any favorite ways of eating Ramen Noodle? I am just going to get back into camping a bit won't be hiking for a while going to do a bit of bicycle touring first and looking for some good recipes for it.
    Thanks
    Jim

Try ditching the flavor packet and mix it with a package of instant miso soup... Lots of varieties/options from there.

i add dehydrated spagetti sauce, chicken alfredo, cream of mushroom with big chunks of portobello added. ditch the spices and add whatever suits you

I Gotta Get out of Here!! Foyt20's Avatar
    Images

I found this site a few months ago. I especially like the jail house recipes.

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/

Hey Bike, to each his own, but I love my spices, especially a creole or cajun spice. My cajun spice turns a good dish into a very good dish. Have you ever read Adventure Cyclist or Bicycle Times? Both good reads. AC a bit better for someone who wants ideas on daily commuting or riding cross country.

If you happen to live near an Asian supermarket, go check out their ramen (or simlilar brand) choices.
    They have 2 or 3 flavor packets and some (especially the Thai ones) are very spicy.

Also, dehydrate your own broccoli, onions, plum tomatoes and more and throw them in, possibly with some parmesan cheesse on top??? Whatever you like.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

on my thru .. i would take idahoan instant mashed and add it slowly to the ramen with
    a lot water left in it .. gotta be careful as adding too much potato mix makes it really thick and hard to swallow .. so i would just use it as a thickener
    then if you REALLY want to go crazy ad a southwestern or BBQ chicken breast by Bubble Bee in the foil packet .. shizz ima 'bout to make some ... right ... wait for it ... NOW !!!!

I have posted them here before, need to find it - anyhow, I make a great peanut noodle recipe up with ramen. I make lots of stuff with ramen - I toss the salt packet and flavor them up all sorts of ways!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Thanks guys. pahillbillybear I have read AC before but never heard of Bicycle times have to check out that one thanks again.

Images

My and my boys favorite is spicy chili ramen with foil chicken and knorr spring vegetable soup mix.

I made a horrible mistake last week at work...I try all my trail food out as packed lunches at work. I figure if I can't make it through a day at the office on it then it certainly isn't going to work in the field.

Anyway I stared off with your standard chicken Ramen noodles--innocent enough but then came the hatefulness...I added a can of tuna I didn't feel like getting the packs for the office trial; but it would not have mattered this is absolutely not something I'm willing to try again and would discourage anyone that has tastebuds from doing the same. I even tried to fix it with that miracle of fixers--hot sauce--but even that couldn't help it either it was just hateful. I'll stick ot the chicken packs
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

and beef jerky along with some dried veggies.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    I made a horrible mistake last week at work...I try all my trail food out as packed lunches at work. I figure if I can't make it through a day at the office on it then it certainly isn't going to work in the field.

Anyway I stared off with your standard chicken Ramen noodles--innocent enough but then came the hatefulness...I added a can of tuna I didn't feel like getting the packs for the office trial; but it would not have mattered this is absolutely not something I'm willing to try again and would discourage anyone that has tastebuds from doing the same. I even tried to fix it with that miracle of fixers--hot sauce--but even that couldn't help it either it was just hateful. I'll stick ot the chicken packs
    Read this thread earlier and it made me so hungry for ramen I had to make some. This post has settled my appetite! Better luck on your next ramen adventure!! W-W

thanks WW I'm sure it can't get much worse

Images

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post

I just made my dinner, sat down to eat & read at the puter. I nearly spewed, I am currently eating: Chicken Ramen with tuna in it. I eat this ALL the time & love it. Just shows to go you!
    Nope, no taste bude here. LOL! (Or maybe there?)
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Quote Originally Posted by Foyt20 View Post
    I found this site a few months ago. I especially like the jail house recipes.

http://www.mattfischer.com/ramen/
    -
    Cool site, Thanks for the link.
    Kinda modified mine tonight,

1 package Chili-flavor shrimp Ramen.
    Boil in 1 1/2 cups water.
    DO ADD the salty flavor packet.
    Add 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
    Add 2 tablespoons chunky Jif Peanut Butter
    Add 2-3 tablespoons honey.Mmmm
    Add three or four shakes of Tabasco Chipotle.
    -
    Got a real smooth heat.
    If it feels good, Do It.
    If it feels really good, Don't Stop.

Chicken ramen with Terryaki Beef jerky. Yum.

The best recipe for ramen noodles is very complex.
    The contents of one packet of noodle and a bunch of McIlhenny Tabasco sauce.

Chicken Ramen Soup
    Serves 1

1 package ramen noodles
    3 ounce can chicken
    1 tablespoon dried corn
    2 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms, broken up
    1 tablespoon dried peas
    1 packet soy sauce (or to taste)
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon sesame oil, to taste
    pinch red pepper flakes

At home: combine the corn, mushrooms, peas and red pepper flakes in a zip locking plastic bag. Carry the sesame oil in a screw top container.

In camp: bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Break up the ramen noodles and add them, the seasoning packet and vegetables to the pan. When the noodles are almost done, add the chicken and its liquid.

Note: this is a thick soup, if you want it more "soupy" add more water.

Ramen ideas and recipes? Here you go!

Greens and Noodles

Ingredients

* 3 oz baked ramen or chuka soba noodles, broken up
    * 1⁄4 c freeze dried zucchini slices
    * 1⁄4 c freeze dried edamame
    * 1 c crumbled freeze dried spinach
    * 1⁄4 t dried red pepper flakes
    * 1⁄4 t crumbled dried rosemary
    * 1 pkt lower sodium veggie broth or 1 tsp bouillon
    * 1 T shelf stable parmesan cheese
    * 1 1⁄2 c water

Instructions

At home:
    Pack the dry ingredients except for the cheese in a sandwich or quart freezer bag. Pack the cheese in a small bag and tuck in with the ramen.

In camp:

FBC method:
    Add the broth concentrate (if using) and near boiling water to the bag. Seal tightly and put in a cozy for 10 minutes. Stir well and mix in the cheese.

Insulated mug method:
    Add the dry ingredients, broth concentrate and boiling water to the mug. Stir well, cover tightly and let sit for 10 minutes. Stir in the cheese.

One pot method:
    Bring the water and broth concentrate to a boil in your pot. Add in the ramen and cook gently boiling for 3 minutes. Turn off the stove and let sit for a couple minutes, covered. Stir in the cheese.
    Notes

Broth concentrate sticks can be found online at www.packitgourmet.com and also at Trader Joe's. You can use lower sodium bouillon powder instead - add the to the bag of dry ingredients.

For the baked ramen if you cannot find any substitute baked chuka soba (Chinese noodles) for it. Discard the "flavor packet" with the ramen.

Nutritional stats:
    480 Calories / 11 grams Fat / 600 mg Sodium / 9 grams fiber / 26 grams Protein.

Weight:
    4.2 ounces.
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++