WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Cooking in the Backcountry LaurieAnn's Avatar
    Images

I must admit I had a hard time reading this thread... especially the Tuna and Chicken Ramen bit. I ate stuff like this when I was a broke university student and never ever want to go there again. Actually I don't think I can get past the thought of Ramen now - even though my Ramen nightmare was more than 20 years ago.

Do any of you use rice noodles instead? They rehydrate super fast and would be an alternative perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    HI Beakerman, I read this twice and I must be missing someting in the explaination . I try these meals at the office too and I too have embarrassed myself and some thought it was real cool.
    The combination of tuna and ramen noodles was a horrible mistake...not even hot sauce could fix it and hot sauce makes everything taste better.

It was not the office trial...the guys have seen me eat some rather interesting things as I get more adventurous...but my logic is if it is horrible I can dart out to the local wataburger and get something approximating food.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAnn View Post
    I must admit I had a hard time reading this thread... especially the Tuna and Chicken Ramen bit. I ate stuff like this when I was a broke university student and never ever want to go there again. Actually I don't think I can get past the thought of Ramen now - even though my Ramen nightmare was more than 20 years ago.

Do any of you use rice noodles instead? They rehydrate super fast and would be an alternative perhaps.
    I feel your pain trust me I lived on mac and cheese and tunafish casserole for 4 years. I can still eat tuna in sandwiches and such but the thought of a casserole still makes me a little queezy.
    Take almost nothing I say seriously--if it seems to make no sense what so ever it's probably meant as a joke....but do treat your water!

Quote Originally Posted by beakerman View Post
    I made a horrible mistake last week at work...I try all my trail food out as packed lunches at work. I figure if I can't make it through a day at the office on it then it certainly isn't going to work in the field.

Anyway I stared off with your standard chicken Ramen noodles--innocent enough but then came the hatefulness...I added a can of tuna I didn't feel like getting the packs for the office trial; but it would not have mattered this is absolutely not something I'm willing to try again and would discourage anyone that has tastebuds from doing the same. I even tried to fix it with that miracle of fixers--hot sauce--but even that couldn't help it either it was just hateful. I'll stick ot the chicken packs
    Sarbar has a Tuna Ramen and Cheeze recipe in her FBC book. I'd post it, but I'm not sure about the whole copyright thing...

All I can say is it is yummy. I just did a 4 day hike with my son and this was the only meal he made sure was on the menu at least once.

Quote Originally Posted by greginmi View Post
    Sarbar has a Tuna Ramen and Cheeze recipe in her FBC book. I'd post it, but I'm not sure about the whole copyright thing...

All I can say is it is yummy. I just did a 4 day hike with my son and this was the only meal he made sure was on the menu at least once.
    Feel free to!
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Sarbar - can you post the pepperoni ramen thingy one? That one rocks!

Quote Originally Posted by greginmi View Post

I can see where cheese might help it--depending on the type. Perhaps I'll look up that recipe or better yet seek out said book. I see some postings here that seem to come from it and they do look appetizing.

Images

Go to an Asian market and check out the Ramen (in Korea, they call it Ramien) selection. They have some really spicy flavors and milder one's as well. They also have Chapaghetti, which my wife and son love. It is Ramen noodles with black bean paste. There's also a Ramen you eat cold, called Naengmyung. It is also great, especially on a hot day. You can also find Vietnamese noodles, which are good too.

Journal Entries
    Images

I made just your plain mac-n-cheese today and it was good. I used one packet of powder and two packs of ramen. The powder I robbed from a box of mac. Can that type of cheese powder be bought at the store?

Journal Entries
    Images

That sound GOOD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicentra View Post
    Chicken Ramen Soup
    Serves 1

1 package ramen noodles
    1 3 ounce can chicken
    1 tablespoon dried corn
    2 tablespoons dried shiitake mushrooms, broken up
    1 tablespoon dried peas
    1 packet soy sauce (or to taste)
    1/2 to 1 teaspoon sesame oil, to taste
    pinch red pepper flakes

At home: combine the corn, mushrooms, peas and red pepper flakes in a zip locking plastic bag. Carry the sesame oil in a screw top container.

In camp: bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil. Break up the ramen noodles and add them, the seasoning packet and vegetables to the pan. When the noodles are almost done, add the chicken and its liquid.

Note: this is a thick soup, if you want it more "soupy" add more water.

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Ramen Spaghetti

To boiling water add:
    Dehydrated spaghetti sauce
    Dehydrated Hamburger
    Dehydrated Mushrooms
    Dehydrated onions

Let soak until rehydrated

Cook Ramen in Sauce

Feast!

The trail is childhood reborn. Simple, carefree, and full of Wonders Captn's Avatar
    Images

Default Mexican Ramen

To boiling water add:

Dehydrated Salsa

Let soak until reconstituted

Bring to a boil and add Ramen

Cut off a wedge of cheese and shred it into the ramen, stir until well coated.

Images

Default Ramen Chicken Alfredo

Pour a tablespoon of olive oil to your pot and add a drained packet of chicken

"fry" the chicken in the olive oil for a few minutes until the oil is absorbed.

Add water and dehydrated alfredo sauce.

Bring to a boil and add ramen

Enjoy

Images

Default Ramen Cup a Soup

Boil water and add Ramen

Add a packet of your favorite flavor of Cup a Soup

Add some cut up jerky or reconstituted Dehydrated hamburger if you wish.

Images

Default Ramen and Cheese

Cook Ramen and drain

cut off a hunk of cheese.

Shred into the ramen and stir until melted.

Add dehydrated Hamburger to the water before you boil if you want cheeseburger ramen.

Enjoy

Images

Default quick Teriyaki Ramen

shred about a half of a package of teriyaki flavored beef jerky and add it to cooked, drained Ramen.

Stir until well combined.

Also works with instant rice.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sorefoot View Post
    I made just your plain mac-n-cheese today and it was good. I used one packet of powder and two packs of ramen. The powder I robbed from a box of mac. Can that type of cheese powder be bought at the store?
    I got some from Tone, mail order several years back. It was not available in the local Sam's Club. I don't recommend it. Nasty and vile. Try another brand. I'll eat cold oatmeal, so I'm not really fussy.

You can find it on websites.

Kraft Parmesan works OK.

Try some frozen peas while you cook it, and then there is always a scrambled egg addition.

Freeze dried green peas are my fave for ramen ;-)
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++