WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

I have hiked till dark and departed before sunrise, hanging my hammock in the woods in the proximity of campsites. Illegal? Possibly depends on the ranger. I've never seen a ranger deep in the back country during night time.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
    So if I understand this thread correctly, the rangers will be there to bust your nutz if you tent out when the shelter is not full, but they take no part in sorting out issues at the shelters regarding reservations?

Also, how do the rangers know where you started and where you intend to finish? Just tell them you started in Honolulu and intend to finish in Barcelono.
    I have not been in the smokies for 10 years, so maybe things are different now, but on my 7 hikes I never saw a ranger once. I'm sure they would bust nutz if they were around.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Images

Quote Originally Posted by earlyriser26 View Post
    I have not been in the smokies for 10 years, so maybe things are different now, but on my 7 hikes I never saw a ranger once. I'm sure they would bust nutz if they were around.
    Things HAVE changed a lot. From 1985 through 2004, I never once saw a ranger or a ridgerunner in the backcountry in the Smokies. This included several scout trips in high school, 8 or so trips while I was in the Marine Corps in NC, a thru-hike, a section hike (the whole AT in the park), and several weekend trips after my thru-hike.

Then in 2005, I ran into rangers for the first time. In the 6 excursions in the park since, I have run into either rangers or ridgerunners 5 times. They were checking up on permits, and hikers without them had to move on during a couple of occasions. At least along the AT, enforcement has increased dramatically.

I'd still say odds are about 50/50 for most folks, but it's MUCH greater than it used to be.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Default must stay in shelters?

I am well into the planning stage of my first thru hike and this is the first of many future questions. I thought staying in the shelters was an option?
    have I missed some very important info? I plan to tent as much as possible. Here's the deal, for years I have thought about all the I must overcome to have a successful hike the cold, wet, blisters, bites etc etc.
    The one thing the only thing thats just not working for me is the mice in the shelters! How silly is that? with all the discomfort I plan to experience that the mice would bother me...really bother me. So my plan was to tent as much as possible to minimize this problem. Is this possible?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by futurethruhiker View Post
    I am well into the planning stage of my first thru hike and this is the first of many future questions. I thought staying in the shelters was an option?
    have I missed some very important info? I plan to tent as much as possible. Here's the deal, for years I have thought about all the I must overcome to have a successful hike the cold, wet, blisters, bites etc etc.
    The one thing the only thing thats just not working for me is the mice in the shelters! How silly is that? with all the discomfort I plan to experience that the mice would bother me...really bother me. So my plan was to tent as much as possible to minimize this problem. Is this possible?
    If you are thru-hiking with the tidal wave of thru-hikers in March and April, you fill out your permit with "thru-hiker" and hike into the park. I can almost guarantee there will be enough other thru-hikers that the shelter will fill up if you sit, cook and eat dinner, and relax a while. Once the shelter is full, thru-hikers can then legally pitch their tent within sight of the shelter for the night. But also be aware that tenting close to a shelter can still sometimes mean mice.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Default Thx

So I learned something. It is required to stay in shelters if room is available? Knowing I missed this very important fact has humbled me just as all this planing was starting to fall into, well a plan. Your right I can just wait for the shelters to fill at least in the beginning weeks. Any other suggestions for a hiker who wants to tent as much as possible?

Images

So I learned something. It is required to stay in shelters if room is available? Knowing I missed this very important fact has humbled me just as all this planing was starting to fall into, well a plan. Your right I can just wait for the shelters to fill at least in the beginning weeks. Any other suggestions for a hiker who wants to tent as much as possible?
    As someone said dark to dark you are unlikely to see a Ranger. Do a late dusk and and a soon start and you will be pretty safe. By the way most Huntha(sp) virus is out west.

Default OK you got me?

What's the Huntha (sp?) virus.

Images

I ran into two ridgerunners in the Smokies. Niether one wanted to see my permit, even though I offered. Anyone ever had a ranger or ridgerunner question whether they were a section or thru hiker?

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    I ran into two ridgerunners in the Smokies. Niether one wanted to see my permit, even though I offered. Anyone ever had a ranger or ridgerunner question whether they were a section or thru hiker?
    They don't have to ask, they can tell by looking at you.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post
    Some of them can also tell if you are naughty or nice too, so be good for goodness sake.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OSUBCS#1 View Post
    I've actually bluffed using this same method of talking to and befriending the ranger on at least two instances (I was not carrying a permit), and they never materialized into actually wanting to see my permit....but that's rolling the dice.

If you are planning on hiking in the smokies, what is the harm in calling to get reservations? I just called two days ago for my trip around Christmas. Its not that big of a deal in my opinion, and it helps preserve this highly impacted ecosystem. Even if you dont stay 100% to your original schedule, rangers will be more inclined to cut you some slack if you do at least have reservations for the duration of your jaunt through the area. Whether or not you are "thru-hiking" or going for an overnight doesnt matter in my mind - at least give them a call.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

When trekking thru the smokies, the main concern of the authority that I talked to was - "Who is feeding the bears?", and "Be careful to hang your food and smelly stuff securely to the chains!" The only reason to fear tenting and such is if some egg-head splashes eggs in your direction. The only thing to fear is....

Images

The two ridgerunners and three rangers I've met on the AT through the Smokies were helpful, friendly, cheerful, informative and concerned. Both ridgerunners inquired about my permit, but didn't ask to see it. (Probably because I relayed the story of counting down the seconds until 30 days before my hike, and hyperventilating because I couldn't get through the busy signals!) When it was obvious I wasn't going to make it to one of my reserved shelters (Mollies Ridge) until well after dark on a cold, cold November night, a ranger at Spence Field, who'd politely asked which shelter I was heading for, advised me to stop at Russell Field instead. He also told me not to worry about being at the wrong shelter; Russell wasn't anywhere near booked that night, and if another ranger or ridgerunner asked, tell him that _____ (I don't remember the name he gave now) had cleared it.

Quote Originally Posted by gnbassett View Post
    Hiking through the Smokies sounds like a drag and the experience sounds as though it is the antithesis of why I hike the trail. . .
    Then don't hike in the Smokies. Or, if completing the trail is a big deal for you, start 50 miles before the park and end 50 miles after. Or, if you're not into the whole truth thing, lie about your status.

Alternately, NPS could change its policy based on your needs. Good luck with that.

Keep in mind that this thread is only about the Smokies. I'm not sure, but I'm getting the sense from your posts that you think this is a trail-wide regulation. Sorry if I'm misinterpreting.

Quote Originally Posted by Appalachian Tater View Post

And smelling you.
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Hiked the upper half b4 Christmas. Managed to stay at only one shelter where we had a reservation. About half the folks in the shelter had reservations. Some had come in through side trails, at least one guy who brought his dog, had no reservations at all. Tented one night, and watched others tent the other nights. Never saw a ranger or ridgerunner. It rained or misted the whole trip and was worth every minute.

Why would someone who has a permit and reservation for a shelter,who has followed the rules feel like they can't politely bump a non reservartion hiker? Isn't that the whole purpose of having the reservation? to ensure you have a space at the shelter?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    Why would someone who has a permit and reservation for a shelter,who has followed the rules feel like they can't politely bump a non reservartion hiker? Isn't that the whole purpose of having the reservation? to ensure you have a space at the shelter?
    The heart of the matter.....and I can't really answer it cause I haven't had to deal with it, but if you want to follow the rules in the GSMNP then you will have to for shelters along the AT at certain times during the year, not to mention how tough it is to get reservations at the best campsites in the park at times. My own strategy, and part of the reason I've never had a problem, arrive way earlier than normal. Done....
    That's my dog, Echo. He's a fine young dog.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bear Cables View Post
    Why would someone who has a permit and reservation for a shelter,who has followed the rules feel like they can't politely bump a non reservation hiker? Isn't that the whole purpose of having the reservation? to ensure you have a space at the shelter?
    Excellent question!!! I think the answer boils down to this principle: people who feel they are above the law also often feel they are above the rules of common courtesy and decency. Whereas, decent, polite folks feel bad about asking anyone to follow the rules. It's the same as dealing with rude hikers with dogs. Easier just to "deal with" the rudeness of cretins than to make matters worse.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Excellent question!!! I think the answer boils down to this principle: people who feel they are above the law also often feel they are above the rules of common courtesy and decency. Whereas, decent, polite folks feel bad about asking anyone to follow the rules. It's the same as dealing with rude hikers with dogs. Easier just to "deal with" the rudeness of cretins than to make matters worse.

RainMan

got to agree Rainman, why make waves. i'm out there trying to enjoy myself. the farther i am from ANYONE the better.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++