WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    2010 complete

I was referring to the rain and the mud.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by modiyooch View Post
    I was referring to the rain and the mud.
    huh thats funny i could have swore i saw

" In other news, a Texas woman was carried off Mt Pierce Sunday afternoon, after slipping and fracturing an ankle.

A decomposing body was found off the Lion's Head trail near the summit of Mt Washington recently by hikers.

Be careful out there, it's not just walking in these parts!"

maybe i dreamt that ...

2010 complete

again, I was referring to the conditions due to rain and mud. I am well aware of the terrain, snow, and winds. thank you anyway.

I have already postponed this hike once. I guess I'm just hoping to hear less rain, less mud and chance of views.

Images

dude whatever ! i was simply pointing out something you brought up
    someone else had asked why that stuff happened , i dont care if you postpone your hike or not

That "Decomposing body" was missing for a little over a week, 2 hikers found him under a rock ledge where he was trying to take shelter, because he was soaking wet and dying of hypothermia.

Which he succumbed to unfortunately. BUT he was NOT prepared for any foul weather and at 70 years old that's a mistake you only make once apparently.

I spoke to a few caretakers who were out on the S & R that said it was tragic but it EASILY could have been avoided.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by High Life View Post
    Be careful out there, it's not just walking in these parts!"
    Absolutely. Peolpe should not take the Whites for granted at any season but be prepared. And enjoy it. Gorgeous stuff.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Absolutely. Peolpe should not take the Whites for granted at any season but be prepared. And enjoy it. Gorgeous stuff.
    Gorgeous indeed. Best hiking IMHO .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Any signs of the rain slowing down? I saw that Pinkham Notch reported getting over 2 inches of rain yesterday!?! I'd like to have a few dry days for my September hike, but that doesn't sound like its going to happen.

Images

Was in Vermont on the southern terminus of the Long Trail. The AT was extremely muddy(4 out of every 5 miles was choked with mud). Stayed at Seth Warner 7/27 and it was like the rain was being thrown down at us it was coming down so hard. The next day brought hard rain most of the day. Still beautiful though. Have a nice hike. I'm told that it has to start clearing soon.

ALOHA,

TACKLE

Its still raining on occasion but we are finally getting a couple of days of sun mixed in with a day or so of afternoon or evening showers. The trails are a bit mucky but I have been out for the last few weekends and havent had any issues hiking, although wet rocks are a bit more of an issue. One thing that is really noticable is how green and lush the woods are.

If the weather pattern doesnt change, there is a lot to be said for being real flexible with your itinerary, where you can zero if need be to wait out the real nasty stuff.

Images

The New England weather pattern does seem to have changed recently
    an almost constant cloudy, cool, rainy almost Seattle climate, some rain everywhere everyday
    TO:
    Hot, humid, heavy rain storms every few days, with thunder storms whenever the sun is out; this averages out to the same kind of rain totals as June and earlier in July. It seems to be getting really common for us to be getting 1" to 4" of rain in a storm.

For example, Gorham, NH is forecast to have rain on 8 out of the next 15 days, so of it thunderstorms not heavy rain.
    http://www.accuweather.com/us/nh/gor...chg=1&metric=0

September is often much drier (and August tends to be dry also). August and Sept we can have hurricanes or tropical storms that dump a lLOT of rain over a day or two.

Another useful link from the US weather service shows storm rain totals for the last 24 hours. Most of the AT from VT to ME got 1" to 2" in the last 24 hours.
    http://radar.weather.gov/radar_lite....ct=NTP&loop=no

Journal Entries

In a now discontinued thread, several folks questioned the accuracy of the weather bureau's predictions. I haven't spent much time in the Whites this summer, but I can report that weather bureau predictions for midcoast Maine have been right on the mark so far this summer. Almost every day is predicted to have rain, and almost every day rain does indeed fall.

Yesterday was sunny for a change. But when I looked out the window this morning at another downpour, I told my wife, that we were "having a break from yesterday's sun."

She chuckled, but wasn't amused.

Weary

Images

Be glad she didn't throw something at you.

(I have had poor luck with accuweather. FWIW)

Images

Inaccuracies of weather forecasts -- agreed. But, this summer if I tell you that we're going to get rain in the next 24 hours, I'm probably right.
    I like the weather radars for timing local hikes; when there is a break in the rain I'll go for a walk.

I also like these NWS weather radar storm total rain maps. They're based on estimates of rainfall from the radar. It looks like the Berkshires and S. VT got blasted, up to 4" total rain in the last 24 hours.
    http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/radar...101111&loop=no
    Click on Storm Totals on the left to see rain over the last 24 hours.

Modiyooch is supposed to be out there about this time probably doing the backstroke on the franconia ridge.

I might be doing my section in MA with Moddiyooch next week, or at least that was her plan depending on timing...Probably swimming but I hope not...

Remember folks, there's always a 10% chance that there is a 100% chance of rain.

Your never safe

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

I know a thru hiker out in that area right now. Moonwalker.

The Whites are tough when it comes to weather. Actually crazy.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I've done some vicious thunderstorms in the Whites...luckily they hit while we were tented...although a campsite at 4000 feet (Guyot and Liberty Springs) it feels like your right in the thunder Tent was blue most of the night this year and even my drysacks in the food bag were wet...well 1 of them. And some Ramen noodles

Last year we quit early on the first day of hiking it was raining so bad....I was disappointed we didn't make it to the site I wanted to, realized the next morning I was 300 yds away

Quote Originally Posted by sharky View Post
    Modiyooch is supposed to be out there about this time probably doing the backstroke on the franconia ridge.
    She and her husband completed the stretch from Kinsman Notch to Crawford Notch mid-afternoon Monday. They had some rain -- primarily overnight or first thing in the morning. They are now in Maine (which might actually be getting more rain.

Tuesday, Brad and I took advantage of the nice day and added North and South Twin Mountains to our list of 4000 footers.

The amount of rainfall has varied widely across the state. As of yesterday, the southern part of the state had received several more inches of rain than we have along the upper Connecticut River
    Bob & Brad
    (On the Internet, no one knows if you're a dog)
    Psalm 121 - the hiker's psalm

Beware of the Dry River Wilderness area in rainy weather. The Dry River is possibly the biggest misnomer in the White Mts. The trail crosses it several times on the way to the ridgeline. When I did it last fall it was actually pretty dry, but the bridge was roped off near the trailhead because it was structurally unsafe.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++