WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Mac & Cheese

Talking Mac & Cheese

Hi just got back from the food Lion store where i live they have what call Easymac for the micro/wav over. it said it took only 3 min to heat up. i think it could be use on the trail to jus heat up the water in your pot. Have any of you guy seen this or have try it out.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

In English, please?
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I have used it and it's not bad. You have to let it "soak" just a little longer to get the noodles soft but overall pretty good. I slice up spam in mine or add extra cheese...either way pretty good!! Try it at home so you can get it the way you want it.

to clarify my earlier post....I freezer bag cook so I transfer it to a freezer bag at home before I leave and I just boil a cup of water and add to it....I don't cook it in a pot. It probably would work better if your cooking it in the pot but can be done either way!

Journal Entries
    Images

I did the same thing and it turn out pretty good.You may want to have to of them because there isnt alot in just one...Charles
    Quote Originally Posted by gold bond View Post
    to clarify my earlier post....I freezer bag cook so I transfer it to a freezer bag at home before I leave and I just boil a cup of water and add to it....I don't cook it in a pot. It probably would work better if your cooking it in the pot but can be done either way!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikingshoes View Post
    I did the same thing and it turn out pretty good.You may want to add two of them because there isnt alot in just one...Charles
    p.s. sorry for the repost

Images

I tried this and I over cooked the noodles a little. Next time I will near boil my h20 add the noodle and let set for a few. It wasnt bad....noodles were just a little mushy.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

Just means packing the water content that's in the "easy" stuff. Convenience vs. weight. Your choice.

TW
    "Thank God! there is always a Land of Beyond, For us who are true to the trail..." --- Robert Service

Images

Easy mac comes in packets too. What makes it "easy" is that the pasta is precooked and the powder has powdered milk and fat so it doesn't call for milk and butter. It's "just add hot water" but better when doctored up with stuff.

It's good to add variety when I get tired of ramen/potatos/stuffing.

For Mac & Cheese I like the Kraft Mac & Cheese with the powdered cheese. I take my pasta and put it in a freezer bag, then take some boiling water, normally about 2c, and pour it over the pasta. I let it sit for 10-12 minutes (15 minutes makes it mush) in a homemade koozie. I drain the water and then add in the powdered cheese. Then I mix and enjoy.

You can save some weight by starting with the pasta in the bag but I like the box to use as kindling in case we're planning a fire.

on my '07 hike i lived off easy mac. i highly recommend it with a pack of flavored tuna! man, i'm hungry just thinking about it.....
    - AT: Springer to Daleville (714.3 miles) in 2007
    - Bibbulmun Track: End-to-End (600 miles) in 2008

We buy it in bulk boxes at Sams. The kids cook it up for a snack. Yeah, dump the noodles into a plastic bowl, add the amount of water, set the timer. DING, add the cheeze packet and stir. They make two packets if they are extra hungry for a snack.
    Last edited by HikerRanky; 07-15-2009 at 15:53. Reason: spelling correction...
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

hmmmmmmmmmm . . . I'll have to try it out.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Images

I always have the ez mac packets on my hikes but I take the pack of real bacon bits to add to it.
    "I drank what?" Socrates

Why am I all of a sudden craving mac and cheese......can't quite put my finger on it......hhmmmm!!!

++ New Posts ++