WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Bewilderedbeest

Quote Originally Posted by emerald View Post
    This list, once tweaked, should be linked to ATC Maps List. There are more drops than necessary. Keep in mind the postage involved and the actual weight of the maps.

These maps don't weigh much. Sometime someone should actually weigh them on an accurate scale that registers grams. Then we can talk numbers and poke holes in some of the silly stuff posted here.

The heaviest of the maps sold with the official guidebooks (ATC) is 88 grams. Some are as light as 35 g. I weighed the maps using a calibrated digital balance at work. It is accurate to 0.01 g. With trimming, if you're into that, even the heaviest maps can be trimmed a bit.

Of for heaven's sake, map trimming is ridiculous and represents gram weenieism at its worst. I've actually seen someone try and brush their teeth with a sawed-off toothbrush.......ridiculous. It's perfectly possible to be weight conscious without going to absurd lengths. One could trim the pages of one's guidebook, too, and save a handful of grams, and this would be equally silly.

Images

Trimming maps reduces their resale value.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin View Post
    Of for heaven's sake, map trimming is ridiculous and represents gram weenieism at its worst. I've actually seen someone try and brush their teeth with a sawed-off toothbrush.......ridiculous. It's perfectly possible to be weight conscious without going to absurd lengths. One could trim the pages of one's guidebook, too, and save a handful of grams, and this would be equally silly.
    I know- full length toothbrush for me, thank ya very much.

(I don't skimp or trim, and some would say I carry "unnecessary" things, like a dry bag to cover my down sleeping bag. But who was laughing when it rained and she was dry?)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++