WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you think I carry to much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Its the best therapy

Default My pack list, have fun trashing it

So be fore I get into my list a little background.
    I am 6 foot 3 260 pounds, pretty big guy. Ultralight hiking products or anything with the words North Face do not fit comfortably around me. I also do not subscribe to the philosphy of less is more. While I attemopt to reduce my weight, I subscribe to one principle rule. I want to enjoy myself. The most weight comes from three sources, water, food and alcohol. Yep I said it, I have a whiskey kit. There is nothing like a night cap over looking some small town on the edge of a rock face. That being said, here is my pack list, any comments would be appreciated:
    Kelty redcloud 6400
    50 oz camelback
    2 under armor tshirts
    1 columbia convertable pants
    1 columbia short
    2 smartwool crew socks2 ua boxer briefs
    1 set of long johns
    1 katadayn water filter
    pack cover or trash bag ( u decide)

tolitres: toliet paper, tooth brush( cut in half) deoadarent and toothpaste ( travel size), lotremen and campsoap, travel size gold bond

Tent: kelty corrie 1
    kelty 20 degree down
    thermarest sleeping pad
    small maglight
    packtowel large
    colubia sun hat
    snowpeak cookset, pot and mug
    I carry an esbit stove with trixone fuel cartridges, I am goin to get a can of sterno to try it out
    2 small lighters, 2 boxes of matches
    moleskin
    trashbag
    leatherman kick
    whiskey kit consiting of:
    1 16 oz flask of Jameson Irish Whiskey ( yummy)
    2 packs of suger per night
    lemon juice
    cloves
    Ocean waves chicago sunglasses with case
    Food:
    first leg of trip:
    3 breakfeast
    4 lunches
    4 dinners
    7 cliff bars
    4 gatorade packets
    4 instant coffes
    7 green teas
    4 splendas
    I think I will go with 1 50 oz camelback and two 1.5 liter publix plastic water bottles. The trail water supply looks good
    there will also be some vitamins and things weighing less then a pound or two.

I want to carry a tripod with a Nikon D40, with 18-55mm lense.

So any suggestions, comments, cries of verbal abuse? Like I said I can carry more weight, partially due out of neccesity and partially because I like extra comforts. I am planning on resupplying in Walasi-Yi center/ hostel. Also I am planning on going the 5th of Sept thru 11th. If anyone is familair with the weather, let me know if my clothes are adequate. Thanks for your help, and I hope everyone is safe and has fun. I look forward to hearing from you.

Images

What? No cast iron cookware?
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

Whew! That brings back memories, bad ones. More water capacity, food hanging rope. Nobody cares how you look or smell -I'd look over the clothes.

You're happy? No problem.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

that time of the year, it will still be pretty warm during the days (80-90-100) with drops to around 55-60-low 70s at night...Humidity will still be a real problem

I was there last week in September in 2007 and the temps never got below 50 at night and hovered around upper 70's to low 80s during the day.

I had a 25 degree bag that I slept on top of in my long johns at night...walked in shorts and a t-shirt during the days

Take 3 pair of socks (one clean pair to sleep in at night and 2 to swap out during the days)....the UA briefs are good as they will dry quickly on the back of the pack

Carry some water proof bags for your NIKON setup...it will get wet!

Enjoy the trip...we're planning on going back in mid September for a week or so....

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BitBucket View Post
    that time of the year, it will still be pretty warm during the days (80-90-100) with drops to around 55-60-low 70s at night...Humidity will still be a real problem

I was there last week in September in 2007 and the temps never got below 50 at night and hovered around upper 70's to low 80s during the day.

I had a 25 degree bag that I slept on top of in my long johns at night...walked in shorts and a t-shirt during the days

Take 3 pair of socks (one clean pair to sleep in at night and 2 to swap out during the days)....the UA briefs are good as they will dry quickly on the back of the pack

Carry some water proof bags for your NIKON setup...it will get wet!

Enjoy the trip...we're planning on going back in mid September for a week or so....
    Check the 10 day forecast on the weather channel before you go. You could get an early rogue cold front. This is July and it was 36 degrees at Newfound Gap last week.
    I'm not really a hiker, I just play one on White Blaze.

Images

On thing that jumps out at me is long johns but no jacket? If you expect it to be cold enough for long johns, wouldn't you need a warmth layer for your upper body? If you're going in hot/warm weather, leave the long johns at home.

Then I'd replace the mag light with a light, cheap headlamp. I carried a mag light for years. Now the only question I ask myself is . . . why?

Its the best therapy

The deal with the long johns and no jacket is I fig I could stay warm with the johns and may throw over a shell if it got to windy. The johns were just for the night

Its the best therapy

Freeze dried all the way

rain gear? unless I missed it.

Images

What I would leave behind:

Deodorant. You are going to smell no matter what.

Mag-light. Get a light headlamp.

1 lighter, 1 box of matches. If you have one of each that is already a backup

Camera sounds like overkill, but that is a personal preference. There are so many lightweight 7 and 8 mega-pixel cameras that will take great photos, it seems like more trouble than it's worth.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

Quote Originally Posted by Berryj121 View Post
    So be fore I get into my list a little background.
    I am 6 foot 3 260 pounds, pretty big guy. Ultralight hiking products or anything with the words North Face do not fit comfortably around me. I also do not subscribe to the philosphy of less is more. While I attemopt to reduce my weight, I subscribe to one principle rule. I want to enjoy myself. The most weight comes from three sources, water, food and alcohol. Yep I said it, I have a whiskey kit. There is nothing like a night cap over looking some small town on the edge of a rock face. That being said, here is my pack list, any comments would be appreciated:
    Kelty redcloud 6400
    50 oz camelback
    2 under armor tshirts
    1 columbia convertable pants
    1 columbia short
    2 smartwool crew socks2 ua boxer briefs
    1 set of long johns
    1 katadayn water filter
    pack cover or trash bag ( u decide)

tolitres: toliet paper, tooth brush( cut in half) deoadarent and toothpaste ( travel size), lotremen and campsoap, travel size gold bond

Tent: kelty corrie 1
    kelty 20 degree down
    thermarest sleeping pad
    small maglight
    packtowel large
    colubia sun hat
    snowpeak cookset, pot and mug
    I carry an esbit stove with trixone fuel cartridges, I am goin to get a can of sterno to try it out
    2 small lighters, 2 boxes of matches
    moleskin
    trashbag
    leatherman kick
    whiskey kit consiting of:
    1 16 oz flask of Jameson Irish Whiskey ( yummy)
    2 packs of suger per night
    lemon juice
    cloves
    Ocean waves chicago sunglasses with case
    Food:
    first leg of trip:
    3 breakfeast
    4 lunches
    4 dinners
    7 cliff bars
    4 gatorade packets
    4 instant coffes
    7 green teas
    4 splendas
    I think I will go with 1 50 oz camelback and two 1.5 liter publix plastic water bottles. The trail water supply looks good
    there will also be some vitamins and things weighing less then a pound or two.

I want to carry a tripod with a Nikon D40, with 18-55mm lense.

So any suggestions, comments, cries of verbal abuse? Like I said I can carry more weight, partially due out of neccesity and partially because I like extra comforts. I am planning on resupplying in Walasi-Yi center/ hostel. Also I am planning on going the 5th of Sept thru 11th. If anyone is familair with the weather, let me know if my clothes are adequate. Thanks for your help, and I hope everyone is safe and has fun. I look forward to hearing from you.
    it's all good. add and subtract as you go. you'll figure it out quickly

Journal Entries

Default gear review

Rainman's comments were what I was going to say. I didn't see water treatment in there. As to clothes, take no more than you can put on at one time. You might try to find a lighter way to carry the booze and mixers. Have a great hike.

First off you fail to mention how far you are going or how many miles a day. Since you mentioned Walasi-Yi I will assume you are starting at Springer and heading north for 7 nights.

Walasi-Yi is 30 miles in. Carry enough food to get there. You can either get re-supplies there or mail/leave a re-supply package for when you arrive.

DO NOT listen to anyone on here telling you what the weather is going to be like 2 months from now. 2 years ago I hiked in central VA in the middle of Oct and it was in the upper 80s every day.

Totally agree that fit is more important than weight.

Clif bars suck.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mango View Post
    Rainman's comments were what I was going to say. I didn't see water treatment in there. As to clothes, take no more than you can put on at one time. You might try to find a lighter way to carry the booze and mixers. Have a great hike.
    ***? Take no more clothes than you can put on at one time???

Katadyn water filter = water treatment.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

So many trails... so little time. Many Walks's Avatar

Agree with LW, take what you want and by the time you're 20 miles in you'll know exactly what's important or not. Every oz. will cross your mind in GA.

Suggest bringing a large zip lock bag for the camera. It would be a shame to get that soaked. Have fun!
    That man is the richest whose pleasures are the cheapest. Henry David Thoreau

Images

Carry what you want man, who cares what anyone else thinks...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
    Carry what you want man, who cares what anyone else thinks...
    He does. That's why he asked.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

I'd just ask if you've ever worn UnderArmour before, because if you haven't I'd suggest that you do so. There are several threads here about UnderArmour, but I think it's fair to say that many simply hate the stuff for two primary reasons -- after wearing if for a day or so, it really seems to stink far more than 'normal' hiking gear. Second, while some people like the "second skin" feeling, others find it to be too much, particularly those of us who are on the large side of life -- personally I thought it felt like wearing a rubber band. Finally, it's a bit expensive.

You asked about a pack cover or a trash bag. I vote both. I'm paranoid about my gear getting wet, and I use a trash compactor bag inside my pack and a bright orange pack cover, too.

I used to blister a lot, but I never cared for moleskin. I found that duct tape was much better, and that Johnson&Johnson Elastikon tape is the best of the best.

I'd switch the GatorAde packets for Emergen-C -- same size, about the same flavor, but you get the blast of vitamins B and C.

Two tiny Bic lighters will be plenty.

I always wear sunglasses when I"m not hiking but have never found a need for them while hiking -- on the AT, you're mostly under a tree canopy the entire time.

Nothing, and I mean no instant coffee at all, compares to Starbucks instant. You can only buy it in Seattle, Chicago, or on-line. It's expensive, but it's seriously tremendously good.

Don't forget rain gear.

A wool knit hat and glove liners will help keep you warm and they don't weigh much at all.

You'll have a couple of days hiking to try out your gear; when you get to Walaysi, they've very good at helping people reduce weight.

Hike smarter, not harder.

I don't like Underarmour because it is incredibly overpriced, considering it's just a knock-off of existing products. And it's hard to trash a gear list with some many up front conditions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++