WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Images

Talking Ever seen anything weird on the trail?

The strangest thing I saw was a hiker coming up from Unicoi gap headed south with a red bubble motorcycle helmet on. He was real tall and truck'in up that hill, just howdy'd me and kept on going. I noticed a he had a school pack and a gallon milk jug sticking out of it. Awful lot of work to sip the jug. Whad u see?

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Back in 1992, I was thru'in the trail and stopped for a break on a berm at a forest road crossing in VA.
    Across the road from me was a truck with its door open and a guy fiddlin' with his pants. I looked away and the next thing I see is 2 pairs of shoes hangin' out the door!!

The guy knew I was there cuz he looked right at me and still went ahead and did the nasty with his girl--only 25 feet away!!

I kept my head down and a few minutes later got up to walk down the road to pick up the trail again. I look over and these two are now sitting in the cab smokin' cigs.

LMAO!!

Just one of many weird happenings on my hikes.

while sitting in a creek cooling off,minnows were swarming my feet,when out of nowhere a wolf spider jumped over a foot from a rock and snagged one of the minnows at my feet.my jaw didnt close for some time.two leggs holding the minnow,four dancing on the water,while the other two pulled himself back to his rock with ease. or top hat hiking with a rattan peacock chair on his head

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by reddenbacher View Post
    while sitting in a creek cooling off,minnows were swarming my feet,when out of nowhere a wolf spider jumped over a foot from a rock and snagged one of the minnows at my feet.my jaw didnt close for some time.two leggs holding the minnow,four dancing on the water,while the other two pulled himself back to his rock with ease. or top hat hiking with a rattan peacock chair on his head

COOL!!

Images

Out walking my section and my dog who at the time was off leash flushed a hen turkey. I called him abck and he was sniffing around the area where he flushed her. I saw him pick something up off the ground. i told him Drop it and he did and it was a Turkey egg. When I looked at it I saw it had a single hole in it. Just as I was bout to curse him about I heard peeping from inside the egg. It wasn't him that mad e the hole it was the chick. I put the egg back on the nest with the other 6 to 8 eggs and heard them all peeping. I added some brush to hide it from the trail and two days later when i went back by all the eggs had hatched out.

Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch2014 View Post
    Out walking my section and my dog who at the time was off leash flushed a hen turkey. I called him abck and he was sniffing around the area where he flushed her. I saw him pick something up off the ground. i told him Drop it and he did and it was a Turkey egg. When I looked at it I saw it had a single hole in it. Just as I was bout to curse him about I heard peeping from inside the egg. It wasn't him that mad e the hole it was the chick. I put the egg back on the nest with the other 6 to 8 eggs and heard them all peeping. I added some brush to hide it from the trail and two days later when i went back by all the eggs had hatched out.
    Cool story also

First time I hiked Roan Mt. we were almost to Overmountain Barn. It had just stopped raining and we heard music. It was Tombone with his trombone in the loft of the barn. He actually hiked with that thing. And he played great, he has played with several different symphonies.

Images

I was at Chatfield shelter in June. It was raining hard and I heard what I thought was a baby crying. A few seconds later here comes a couple thru hiking north with a four month old baby riding in the backpack. Not weird, but was the most unusual thing I have seen so far.

Hike naked day around 2005 I saw (I'm guessing) a 20 y/o with the reddest hair ever carrying a baby blue guitar in front of him. No pack, no footwear, nothing but the guitar.
    Pain is a by-product of a good time.

Images

Do wheelchair ramps on privies count?
    Tomorrow might just be too late and today is just beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Do wheelchair ramps on privies count?
    yeah that's the dumbest thing i've seen not the weirdest

Tuba Man . . .
    Drab as a Fool, as aloof as a Bard!

http://www.wizardsofthepct.com

Ward Lenard!?!

Images

I was camping on the FT and heard alot of scurrying outside my tent, so I leaned up to peer out the door and saw a hurd of armadillos walking in a tight pack down the FT. I have seen alot of critters in the woods but that was amazing. Another cool thing I witnessed while kayaking was an alligator attack a bird bello and roll that was the call of the wild right there.
    If you can’t fix it with duct tape or a beer; it ain’t worth fixing

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Dateline June 5, 2002 (just north of William Bryen Memorial Shelter in New York): On a lovely day of SOBO slackpacking, I come upon a young woman lugging a huge yellow Tonka dumptruck in one hand. She had found it at a flea market in southern Jersey and knew that her 3-year old cousin really liked Tonka trucks, so she bought it for $1 and was lugging it 100 miles to give it to her cousin for a birthday present!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Journal Entries
    Images

Uh no but I am working here.....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by fljj48 View Post
    I was camping on the FT and heard alot of scurrying outside my tent, so I leaned up to peer out the door and saw a hurd of armadillos walking in a tight pack down the FT. I have seen alot of critters in the woods but that was amazing. Another cool thing I witnessed while kayaking was an alligator attack a bird bello and roll that was the call of the wild right there.
    I see your signature is Daniel Boone and while on vacation I stopped by Frankfort,Ky and took pictures at Boones grave http://codyhaven.com/?level=picture&id=217

Images

MMMMMMmm not sure old Daniel is buried in Frankfort http://www.roadsideamerica.com/set/HISTboone.html

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Dateline June 5, 2002 (just north of William Bryen Memorial Shelter in New York): On a lovely day of SOBO slackpacking, I come upon a young woman lugging a huge yellow Tonka dumptruck in one hand. She had found it at a flea market in southern Jersey and knew that her 3-year old cousin really liked Tonka trucks, so she bought it for $1 and was lugging it 100 miles to give it to her cousin for a birthday present!
    It's the thought and the extra weight that really make that a true gift.

3 or 4 years ago I was dong a day hike on Three Ridges in VA. I saw an older gentleman heading nobo with a large (plastic, I suspect) garden gnome perched on top of his pack.

I was taking a break, and he went by so fast I didn't get a chance to ask him about his companion...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++