WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How long to get poison ivy rash?

I'm a bit concerned because on Saturday I hiked in my shorts in the woods, and part of the trail (Darlington Trail) was fern'ed over, and I couldn't see everything on the ground. I saw a few three-leaved low-lying sproutings, and I did my best to stay clear of them.

It's been, at the time of posting this question, 26 hours since finishing my hike.

I don't know if I came in direct contact but think it possible. I've never had PI before, and I've read online a great difference of numbers on how long it takes to manifest itself, from 24-72 hours, to 7-10 days.

So really, how long after exposure to Poison Ivy does one start seeing a rash?

Wandering Vagabond
    Images

I hate to tell you this but the symptoms can take as long as several days after contact with Poison Ivy.

Images

3 or 4 days starting and 5 or 7 to the last pustules appear. If it goes longer than that usually you're spreading it yourself by scratching or when one leg lies against another.

Images

Poison Ivy is loosing it's leaves in GA & SC due to the drought. It's not really a problem after the leaves yellow or turn red since the sap has returned into the vine.
    The trail was here before we arrived, and it will still be here when we are gone...enjoy it now, and preserve it for others that come after us

Images

I just guessing that you washed your legs thoroughly with soap and water as soon as you got home, and threw all the clothes that you were wearing in the washer.

Even when day hiking its a good idea to carry soap and water in your car just in case you come in contact with poison ivy.

Panzer

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

You can get special soap now that gets rid of urushiol, the poison that creates the rash. The chemical in the soap binds with the posion so it rinses away.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I took a shower right when I returned home, but that was about two hours later.

I'm going to take a look at poison ivy soap for the future.

MikenSalem, for clarification, do you mean it takes 3-4 days to notice a rash, or that the rash lasts 3-4 days?

http://poisonivy.aesir.com/view/faq.html

i always get mine almost 2 full days later(just got it this past week)
    do note that if you've never had PI before then it can come about later than normal, considering that you haven't really been in much contact with it in previous situations...

Contrary to popular belief, PI isn't spread by rubbing the area against another area or by the pustules' fluid several days after it appears. The amount of exposure determines how long it takes the blisters to appear and how widespread it will be. The greater the area of exposure, the more blisters, and the more serious the case will be.

It can take several days for the blisters to appear, and they start by looking like a small bug bite, then several appear, and before you know it, you have one huge blistered area that itches like nothing you've ever had in your life. Benedryl is your friend. That and contisone cream.

Good luck.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Egads View Post
    Poison Ivy is loosing it's leaves in GA & SC due to the drought. It's not really a problem after the leaves yellow or turn red since the sap has returned into the vine.
    But you can still get it if you come into direct contact with the vine.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jayboflavin04 View Post
    But you can still get it if you come into direct contact with the vine.
    You must contact the sap (urushiol) to get the rash. As long as the plant is not bruised in any way and releasing sap, you can touch the leaves and vine w/o getting the rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    You can get special soap now that gets rid of urushiol, the poison that creates the rash. The chemical in the soap binds with the posion so it rinses away.
    Yes, you can get a "special" soap. Or just use the good old regular stuff you use in the shower. As long as you wash off the chemical from the plant you're fine. No reason to spend extra money on so-called special soap.

Everything I read here is valid. I'd like to add that the poison is robust. I've gotten PI in the dead of winter. I must have brushed against a dead and/or dormant plant. ):

BL
    http://www.radio-outdoors.com Ham Radio and the outdoors. Perfect together!

++ New Posts ++