WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Bag

Default Sleeping Bag

Hello,

I did a search for sleeping bags and didn't get much regarding that subject. So, here we go. I'm looking for a light, compressable, down sleeping bag that I can use in the first section of my hike. You know what I'm talking about, when it's cold. At the moment I have a 30 degree down bag, which is nice, but I would like to go a little lower in temperature rating and gain some compression too; my bag doesn't compress as well as many others that I have seen. I like to be warm when I sleep. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh around 130lbs. So I get cold easily. Anyway, who uses what? How small does it compress to? Temperature rating? Weight? And, the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?

Marmot Goose down
    Compresses to the size of a softball
    20 degrees
    32 ounces
    smoked gouda
    Moses

Western Mountaineering are the only bags I use. You should look at the Ultra-lite 20 deg or Versalite 10 deg. In my opinion they have the best warmth to weight ratio and very compressable to boot.
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

Images

WM ultralite here. Most people will agree that their temp ratings are very conservative. Your are gonna shell out some change for a western mount bag, but it is gonna last a long time if you take good care of it.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.-John Muir

Images

WM Antelope for an early start (5-F rating.) Less than 3 pounds, compresses to a reasonable size for a winter bag. Expensive.

For a mid-March start, maybe a WM Ultralight Super. Given your size it should fit very well, with room for a down jacket inside.

Very sharp cheddar. Or aged provolone.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by HumanBN View Post
    Hello,

I did a search for sleeping bags and didn't get much regarding that subject. So, here we go. I'm looking for a light, compressable, down sleeping bag that I can use in the first section of my hike. You know what I'm talking about, when it's cold. At the moment I have a 30 degree down bag, which is nice, but I would like to go a little lower in temperature rating and gain some compression too; my bag doesn't compress as well as many others that I have seen. I like to be warm when I sleep. I'm 6 ft tall and weigh around 130lbs. So I get cold easily. Anyway, who uses what? How small does it compress to? Temperature rating? Weight? And, the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?
    best bag out there http://www.campmore.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

.......the most important question of them all, what is your favorite cheese?
    Buffalo mozzarella.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

what is your favorite cheese?
    i hate cheese. i never eat it

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Love my 15 degree Montbell UL down hugger. Do a price search and backcountry.com will match the price.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

For cheese-

Smoked gouda, cheddar, etc (or any cheese smoked)

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

You are saying you did a search for sleeping bags and didn't find much? You should get a wealth of info regarding sleeping bags if you just type in the words sleeping bags either here on WB or Google. All of the questions you ask are found in the specs for sleeping bags at any outfitter's or gear manufacturer's website. The info is all there at your fingertips if you just do an appropriate search for it!

Images

Default Buy this one... soon

Hello,

This WM Apache is for sale now over on hammockforums.net
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=9634

Better move fast....

Images

Definitely another vote for Mont-bell UL Down Hugger bags. I have three mont-bell bags in different temperature ratings. I even have one of the older models with no zipper. They all compress very well. Do be sure to store them long term in the cotton storage bag mont-bell sends. As with all down bags, they will lose loft after long storage compressed.

Rainman

Now I see the secret of the making of the best persons,
    It is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth.

- Walt Whitman: Leaves of Grass; Song of the Open Road.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

If it were me I would be using my WM Versalite. It weighs 37.5 oz in the long (6'-6") version, and stuffs to the size of a bloated 2 liter bottle. I also have an Ultralite Super, and I like the extra girth of the Versalite.

For cheese it has to be any of the cheddars made by Weyauwega Star Dairy in WI.

Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    You are saying you did a search for sleeping bags and didn't find much? You should get a wealth of info regarding sleeping bags if you just type in the words sleeping bags either here on WB or Google. All of the questions you ask are found in the specs for sleeping bags at any outfitter's or gear manufacturer's website. The info is all there at your fingertips if you just do an appropriate search for it!

Did the search here. Manufacturer websites are bias.

Thanks for all the help, folks. Glad to see that some other people enjoy the cheese as well. Will start looking and comparing prices on the bags posted. Appreciate you all.

Had a WM Megalite, sold it on Ebay.

Bought a montbell UL SS DownHugger #2. I will take this bag with me to my grave.

Also: sharp chedder

Roquefort...the King of cheeses! A few crumbles on a lavosh craker with candied walnuts and a port reduction. WOW.

As for the sleeping bag, I will let the pros chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by chefjason View Post
    Roquefort...the King of cheeses! A few crumbles on a lavosh craker with candied walnuts and a port reduction. WOW.

Some one with tastes similar to my own. Love a nice Bleu' with some Port wine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++